What is you FRFR setup?

joe1871

Inspired
Sorry if this has been asked.

What are you all using for your studio or local FRFR system? I have been using my studio monitors - the JBL LSR 4328 and 4312 (8 inch monitors w 12 inch sub). The JBL's are really nice studio monitors and do a great job recreating the full range of what I think I should be hearing, but I have nothing to compare them to. Is a PA type of system -with 12 or 15 inch full range speakers and a good sub a better option? Would I be floored if I listened to a system with good PA speakers?

Thanks everyone - great board!

Joe

Mid- and- far-field speakers will always sound better than near-fields. It's about filling the room with sound and feeling the difference, not just sitting in front of it to pick out minor details.

Check out Atomic and Matrix products.

Alpha A7x pair (near field) and a 10" subwoofer... studio

QSC K10s and a Mackie SWA1801 sub via DBX PA+ for PA (through Yamaha 16x4x2 mixer). Monitors are Mackie SRM350s.

OP, In my opinion, a PA with 12 or larger midrange drivers will not sound very good (beaming of mids)... I had some Yamaha Club speakers (passive) and they did sound good but not if you were within 30 feet..

Been discussed many times on this forum. If you're looking to sound like a 200 watt Marshall head through a stack of 4-12s, w/your pants flapping, then the Axe-Fx may be somewhat disappointing, although it can do this w/a Powerful Amp and Guitar Cabs. If you're looking to sound great through a PA/Recording, then 1) use a flat FRFR rig and 2) dial in the patches at stage volume (roughly 106-110 db) in a mix w/other instruments...the Axe-FX is miles in front of anything else for this.

I too use QSC K10s for my stage monitor and K12/KSubs for the FOH/PA. See Scott Peterson's videos/comments.

I get a lot of positive comments from patrons and musicians alike.

Whether its a PA speaker or a studio monitor is irrelevant in terms of sound quality - the most important thing to look for is just how full range and flat response a particular speaker is. Obviously though studio monitors may be less suitable for gigging and often have less power.

I use a pair of Tannoy VNET300s for my main system which I love, but also have some Tannoy System 800A studio monitors. The latter are a little lacking in the bass department, but are otherwise excellent monitors.

Awaiting stock of MFC101 to get one.
On waitlist for 2 active CLRs from TK.
Will keep a few choice stomps in line with the MFC.
Going with either Mission or BOSS expression/volume (yet to be determined).

I use two Adam A7X's, they sound great. I've never A/B'd with Atomic, although I'd love to do that at some point. YMMV.

I have a mackie HD1221 for rehearsals etc and I use my yamaha hs50m's for recording and at home.

Pair of QSC K10s with Jay Mitchell compensating EQ (-3dB down, from 700Hz on down).

Or a pair of Westone UM-3 IEMs.

I don't use anything aside from the stage foldbacks usually.

Maybe I'll start bringing my mackie along just so I can have a monitor of my guitar only, But really, when I play all I need to hear is the drums and other guitarist or bassist. Helps to hear myself during solos though.

For live use I just got a pair of brand new active coaxial Matrix Q12As, love them so far :)
In my home studio my Axe-Fx II goes into a (cheap Behringer) mixer, which again goes into my pc via an Echo Mia Midi soundcard, and I listen mostly through a pair of cheap Koss headphones (which I love!), or occasionally through my pc speakers/"studio monitors" (which actually is an old Philips stereo system..)

Back
Top Bottom