What is you FM3 “backup” for live shows

HX Stomp, but I have never needed a backup for my Fractal gear in 4 years 😜

Me too, and don't know how to use or hook it up it's been in the closet so long.

Ideal backup would be the same unit with the same presets/settings. Probably a good thing to do if you are making money with your equipment but there are several stomp box size gadgets you could get by with.

Me too, and don't know how to use or hook it up it's been in the closet so long.

Ideal backup would be the same unit with the same presets/settings. Probably a good thing to do if you are making money with your equipment but there are several stomp box size gadgets you could get by with.
Yeah, I cringe at the thought of having to use the Stomp. I just do not like the sounds/feel I get from it (I enjoy the Helix as long as I'm not the one playing).

I think about that sometimes; I almost owe it to myself and band members to have redundancy and the ability to keep the show going no matter what. I really should get a second FM3... Then I could be even lazier and keep one in the rehearsal space and one at home between gigs! lol

Yikes! I can’t imagine any Fractal products crapping out but I suppose anything is possible. Before I used my Axe-Fx I had a drunk fall in front of the stage and spilled his entire beer on my Line 6 HD 500X. I immediately flipped the whole unit over and finished the gig with no issues. So my vote would be the line 6. And they’re cheap enough for something you’ll hopefully never need.

@Infuseguitar - perfect:

Line 6: Cheap enough for something you’ll hopefully never need.

jk, everyone, settle down - I still love the HX-class effects and 3.15 was a pretty cool update :)

I haven't gigged with mine yet (in the process of booking some now), but I'll probably bring my Elevenrack and FC1010 for "break glass in case of" situation.

My ultimate plan is probably to get a FM9 and then use my FM3 as a back-up.

@Infuseguitar - perfect:

Line 6: Cheap enough for something you’ll hopefully never need.

jk, everyone, settle down - I still love the HX-class effects and 3.15 was a pretty cool update :)
I dunno the new line 6 update almost got me to re buy an hx stomp.

Only think about hx it feels a little bit like a toy.

Many pluses to it even over the fractal stuff

Apples and oranges.

I use a Mooer Pre-Amp Live for my backup rig. Small footprint, basic amp sounds, no effects, but will work in a pinch. In the 4 years or so that I have had it, I have never needed to use it.

Axe FX II with Rocktron Plexi tube preamp, and a EQ in a 4U rolling rack.

Our show is automated, so I lose the FM3's foot switches (plus Mosley Dual Switch), and the ability to control Ableton LIVE's Looper plugin and control Ableton LIVE's Session Loop, but otherwise the show goes on without anything sounding much different.

FM3 is my backup. I went from the Axe-FxIII to the FM9 and the FM3 is the backup. Axe-FxIII is in the studio now.

Funny but I used to think my modelers were a backup to my live amp rig but since the FM3 it’s the other way around lol. So for this next outdoor gig I will probably lug and setup one of my amps and pedals on the stage but play through my FM3. Sounds crazy right? 😝

I brought backups for over 10 years and never had to use them. Now I live on the edge and don't bring backups. Sometimes I don't even bring extra strings. I'm an adrenaline junky...

I brought backups for over 10 years and never had to use them. Now I live on the edge and don't bring backups. Sometimes I don't even bring extra strings. I'm an adrenaline junky...
It's wise to bring a backup. My FM3 died in the middle of a song a while ago. Turned out it was its power supply that gave up the ghost (no power surge - just dumb luck). I had no backup and had to finish the gig straight into the PA mixer. Since then, I always have a backup - most recently, I play the FM3 through a Quilter Tone Block 202 into cabs. The Quilter is its own amp with reverb, so that's my backup if needed.

Actually, I run my FM3 through either a Marshall FX return or Peavey 6505+ FX return into real guitar cabs. If I have to, I can play old school and just plug into the amp. There's always something on stage I could actually get through the night with but I don't have a backup, per se, of the FM3.

Haha, if my Fractal goes out, it’s literally going to be a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal looped in with a ISP Decimator G string into my 5150-II head. The Uber Metal already basically has a distortion, boost and gate all running at once and the G String is to help prevent feedback at high volumes. Before the fractal, at our first gig I just ran the Uber Metal into my heads FX return, micd my mesa 4x12 OS cab with A sennheiser e906, and that was literally it!!!! 😂. Absolutely primitive compared to my FM3 but. It gave a brutal skull crushing tone, audience still freaked out. Just goes to show, if you’re a player you’ll make it work with just about any setup 😅

I ALWAYS bring a backup. Always. Demon Murphy is ALWAYS hanging about..

So... Pod Go... and an FR5 V2 as a backup to that as well.

Backup amp as well, usually SS small 'n loud, Quilter MPM2 12HD.

What can I tell ya... belt AND suspenders.:blush:

I don't have a backup currently. If I were inclined to get one, I'd probably go with the Boss Pocket GT or the Mooer Prime P1.

I don't want a big piece of redundant equipment lying around and these are pocket-sized modelers which might actually come in useful for various situations, but they can also step up in a crunch. They are also inexpensive.

I have a Zoom pedal that is small enough to fit in my gig bag pocket that would get me through an emergency.
I've used Fractal live for 5-6- years now and never needed it...but it's ready.
Not having a backup is not an option IMO...same for guitars.

Back
Top Bottom