What is wrong with me and my locking tuners?

Yes over tightening or over wrapping possibly caused a burr and the burr is slicing through like butter when u start cranking again. They don't need to be ThAT tight! Actually surprised that you're not stripping them, I've seen them strip but never breaking strings. Check for burrs like the men said, don't over crank and must stretch them strings, clip off string ends LAST after it holds tune when u get finished stretching and retune.
Also note that on the B8, with the angle of that headstock and the sperzels, the holes in tuner post should be aiming directly at the nut slot when u feed the string through. Get down low and look from top to align it, slide it through, pull long excess tight with one hand and tighten tuner with other. You want the string to have tension applied by the tuner immediately as you begin to raise pitch. With sperzel tuners on this kind of ESP headstock u don't want to be winding ANY slack because then you'll have wraps aren't good for these tuners.

So fix them burrs, align hole to nut slot,slide string and pull hard, tighten knob, stretch,retune until it's in tune after u stretch then u know you're good. Now clip off the end and done. Should only have half a wrap on the post when completely done. May take a couple restrings to get it just right.
Thanks so much Bill....that was really helpful man....the slack is what is giving me the headache I honestly beleive

Can you please just tell me in terms of stretching the string, how long do you pull/tug until you feel its settled? and then when do you tighten the sperzel gear? like I know it sounds redundant, but I just want to know how long I should allow before "making sure" its all settled, and when/where do you snip it? I think maybe im snippin too much too ?

Ive never had this problem before, im really embarassed lol.....I literally broke 7 strings BUT not since I followed all your guys advice

Thanks so much Bill....that was really helpful man....the slack is what is giving me the headache I honestly beleive

Can you please just tell me in terms of stretching the string, how long do you pull/tug until you feel its settled? and then when do you tighten the sperzel gear? like I know it sounds redundant, but I just want to know how long I should allow before "making sure" its all settled, and when/where do you snip it? I think maybe im snippin too much too ?

Ive never had this problem before, im really embarassed lol.....I literally broke 7 strings BUT not since I followed all your guys advice
You don’t want to over-stretch the strings.

The following is how I approach stretching my strings:

Stretch until the string is not going out of tune badly when stretched. That is usually 3-4 stretches per string.

Tune the guitar between each stretch (All of my guitars have double locking tremolos).

Once all strings have been stretched, play the guitar for 15 minutes or so with the nut unlocked. Mostly soloing and bending. Tune as needed. When you are done playing, center the fine tuners, tune, lock the nut, tune with fine tuners.

Once string, my guitars go long periods of time (sometimes 2+ weeks) without needing to be tuned.

Last edited:
Stretch until the string is not going out of tune badly when stretched. That is usually 3-4 stretches per string.
You might need to elaborate here. I stretch all the way up and down each string 3-4 times. I think some people just tug on the string a few times, which doesn't cut it.

I use all 4 fingers under the string as a lever with the thumb on top of the string and stretch, moving one "hand width" along the string and repeating.

Well, that's my old method - it works pretty well. But this thing is the best!

Amazon product ASIN B0085545YO
Recommended by Vai's tech Thomas Nordegg. Best $12.50 I ever spent... Stretches faster and more evenly. Way less "settling in" time now.

Tune the guitar between each stretch (All of my guitars have double locking tremolos).

Once all strings have been stretched, play the guitar for 15 minutes or so with the nut unlocked. Mostly soloing and bending. Tune as needed. When you are done playing, center the fine tuners, tune, lock the nut, tune with fine tuners.

Once string, my guitars go long periods of time (sometimes 2+ weeks) without needing to be tuned.
Pretty much my situation and method, too.

You might need to elaborate here. I stretch all the way up and down each string 3-4 times. I think some people just tug on the string a few times, which doesn't cut it.

I use all 4 fingers under the string as a lever with the thumb on top of the string and stretch, moving one "hand width" along the string and repeating.

Recommended by Vai's tech Thomas Nordegg. Best $12.50 I ever spent... Stretches faster and more evenly. Way less "settling in" time now.

I stretch from nut to bridge and back (or vice versa). I lift the string until it stops being easy to pull, the run up and down. Usually firmly tug on the string a couple of times near the 12th fret or so.

Thanks for the tip on that stretching tool. Ordering one when I get done writing this.

Yeah see unix, you always have a special little trick up your sleeve....THANK YOU, i ordered one too!

Thanks for the tip on that stretching tool. Ordering one when I get done writing this.
THANK YOU, i ordered one too!
One further tip... The instructions say to run the Stretcha 2-3 times on each string.

I usually do 7-8 times in both directions and that seems to get better results... Thomas says he does a lot more for Vai's guitars over the course of several hours.

One further tip... The instructions say to run the Stretcha 2-3 times on each string.

I usually do 7-8 times in both directions and that seems to get better results... Thomas says he does a lot more for Vai's guitars over the course of several hours.
Honestly, whenever you suggest something, I always take it as gold brother....you know your stuff, and I respect your opinions because your consistent and very knowledgeable. I really appreciate your input dude. Thank you.

And even if its Seemingly excessive, ill do anything NOT to have to restring this guitar again! Lol

Now we're discussing details of string stretching? Ok, if a sperzel locking tuner is strung properly with only half a single wrap on the post, you'll achieve stability quicker than the other guitars. Lube the nut when using sperzels, stretch at bridge you're golden

Now we're discussing details of string stretching? Ok, if a sperzel locking tuner is strung properly with only half a single wrap on the post, you'll achieve stability quicker than the other guitars. Lube the nut when using sperzels, stretch at bridge you're golden
The OP asked the question. It is his thread.

I think this is true for pretty much all locking tuners I've encountered.

I never cared for Sperzel tuners. When they first came on the market they were sold as "these will make your guitar stay in tune"...False

I have successfully drilled out several tuners to have them accommodate beefy strings for drop tuning. You might want to have a spare tuner around before you commit. Be sure to measure twice.

I've had to "deburr" the edges of a few tuners to prevent them from cutting strings. If you break a string again check to see if there is a piece of the string still trapped inside by the pin. Maybe with the length of the string you may be able to deduce if the pin is cutting it or the edge of the string hole is cutting it.

I never cared for Sperzel tuners. When they first came on the market they were sold as "these will make your guitar stay in tune"...False
Ease of string changes, that's it. Stability is improved depending on your methodology in both installation and playing style.
I can swap out 8 strings in under 12 min, that said, seasonal changes are the only thing throwing my guitar slightly out:)

Ease of string changes, that's it. Stability is improved depending on your methodology in both installation and playing style.
I can swap out 8 strings in under 12 min, that said, seasonal changes are the only thing throwing my guitar slightly out:)

Agree 100%.

I agree, people make the assumption that locking tuners are for keeping your guitar in tune. All they do is make string changes much much faster. They do nothing for tuning stability. It eliminates the need for numerous wraps around the post to avoid string slippage. that's all.

They do nothing for tuning stability. It eliminates the need for numerous wraps around the post to avoid string slippage.
Those 2 sentences contradict each other. Eliminating string slippage does improve tuning stability. If strings slip the tuning changes. Removing that possibility makes tuning more stable.

If you know how to properly string a guitar (including stretching the strings) you can have pretty solid tuning without locking tuners...

From sperzel.com main page:

In 1983 Sperzel introduced the guitar world to a locking tuning key–Trim-Lok–that held the string tight without tying or multiple wraps around the string post, which can slip and cause problems with tuning stability. Trim-Lok also has graduated post heights eliminating use of string trees, locking nuts or any other device that dampens string vibrations and causes friction while tuning.

The Trim-Lok string locking system also makes changing strings a snap. These tuning keys are made for any guitar (electric non-tremolo and tremolo, acoustics, and basses) and helps keeping them in tune longer. Another step taken for the guitar player's playing enjoyment.

My recommendation for stretching: After restringing, just play the shit out of it, doing 1-1/2 step bends, all over the fretboard, retuning when you hear it go flat. About 15 minutes of this and my guitars are usually are usually rock-solid stable.

Those 2 sentences contradict each other. Eliminating string slippage does improve tuning stability. If strings slip the tuning changes. Removing that possibility makes tuning more stable.

If you know how to properly string a guitar (including stretching the strings) you can have pretty solid tuning without locking tuners...

From sperzel.com main page:
yes, but you can't change strings nearly as quickly.

My only point was that by not having to do multiple wraps to lock the string in place, is about the only tuning advantage you get. But it's not that big of an advantage, as you said if you know how to string properly then slippage isn't an issue. it's all about how long it takes to change the strings.
And IMHO sperzels are probably the worst locking tuners I have ever owned. So many better options now. For a while they were the only game in town, but not anymore.

Curious, if you tune up, use the bar and then check the tuning, are you sharp or flat? And which strings? You have to keep in mind that locking tuners and a locking bridge are not equivalent. With the locking tuners the strings still move across the nut, and thus can get hung up there and end up sharp.. What provided trem tuning stability for me was working on that. If the strings aren't moving at the tuner, then they're probably sticking at either the bridge or the nut, and the nut is usually more likely in my experience. And a lot of really expensive guitars I try out still have really suspect nut installs.

First I'd see which strings are out. I've worked on a few and a lot of the time it's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, in that order, that hang up. Not sure if you're decked or the bridge is floating, but if you pull up a touch on the bar and release, do they come back into tune? If so, it's probably the nut, and when you pull up you're moving it back from the spot the string got hung on.

From there you've go some things to look at and decisions to make. If you want the easiest DIY remedy and lowest hanging fruit, get some ground up pencil lead and Chapstick and mix it into a paste. Dab a little into the nut slots of the problem strings and work it in. If it's better after that, even if it's not perfect you're on the right track. Unless you've got a Graph Tech nut, in which case lubrication isn't the issue.

From there you either need to check the nut or get somebody do it for you. The things to look for are whether the slots are too tight or seems to be sitting up on the rear of the nut. And at worse case is making contact at the back and barely or not touching the front. This happens more than you'd think. Mine are adjusted so that the main contact is at the front, the back of the slot drops away at about halfway back into the slot, and there's a slight fan out at the rear sides, so if you look down at it it's kind of in this shape \/. This is so the string doesn't catch on the sides if it's not in a perfect straight line to the tuner. If the nut's really high that can also cause issues. And I didn't recall seeing whether there were string trees or staggered tuners involved so that can impact what you look at.

Stewart MacDonald used to have a series on small jobs like this so you can check their site archives. That'll have pictures that illustrate the above. But it help if you have feeler gauges and files on hand before you go f**king with the stuff.

Other thing to consider is one of the Zero Glide nuts. They've got a combo of a nut to keep the side to side stability and a zero fret. I just ordered one to try out but haven't got it installed yet.

And some of this depends on your bar use. I don't go real crazy with the it. Mainly minor flutters and dips, with an occasional upward. And I use one of the Super Vee Mag Loks as well. It takes a while to get to the point where I have to retune. If you're really overboard with the bar and wind up with the stings flat on the fret board, just my .02 but you're probably going to need to go to a locking nut unless you want to have to make adjustments. Although as I mentioned, if you can incorporate just pulling back a little bit after you're done spazzing out, it usually puts things back into tune. I did that for years until I started messing with the nut.
The OP is reporting issues with string breakage not tuning stability... ;)

Back
Top Bottom