What is to be gained? USB source NOT selectable??? Bogus!!!

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
Sorry guys... I'm very disgruntled now about this change to the USB source. Before we could select between Output 1 and Output 2. Now we can't. I emailed FAS to ask them why, they said, 'people complained'. I really am just curious. I cannot even begin to fathom why anyone would NOT want this to be selectable. Someone please tell me. What is to be gained? Now we are stuck on Output 1? How lame. My entire recording setup revolves around using USB source as Output 2. I have had nothing but trouble getting my II to act nicely with my Pro Tools rig. Now this is just the icing on top of crap filled Pop Tart. I want to update to FW 5.0 but this is going ruin my recording ability. For the record, I monitor through PT so I can pan and adjust volume to taste. I do not like to monitor direct through the Axe II. Just my personal tastes.

Seriously though, can someone answer why this 'feature' is beneficial. If I find out that it offers me some increased USB stability or better reamping results...

I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm just REALLY upset about this. It just doesn't make sense to me. If you like USB from output 1 but NOT output 2 then keep it at output 1 and NOT output 2. If you like it at Output 2 and NOT output 1... Your screwed... What is to be gained?

It does seem very odd. Why lock something like that down? Also, why limit the options for the Hi Freq Res in the amp block? Being able to Q the highs was an important feature on a few of my presets. I hate being a squeeky wheel, but putting in a useful option and then taking it out later seems very strange.

So m@ says people didn't realize that USB/DIGI were one source. Now we can select DIGI out as 1 or 2, but USB is stuck at output 1. I just spent $150 wiring up my custom I/O panel around my current configuration which was working perfectly. Now I either stick with 4.01... No way!!! Or rewire my entire rig AGAIN. I can't afford either. These updates are far too important to skip out on. It's just this dang USB issue. Aaaaggghhh!!!

Please change it back!!! Please!!!

The only reason I could think of to complain with the original implementation is that, by default, I got an unprocessed sound using USB. I forget now, but I think it may have been because AF2 defaulted to Output 2. That support issue could have been solved by having it default to Output 1 but still making it selectable.

In any case, I'm usually psyched for these updates because they add more features, more control, more flexibility. And while 5.0 does that, it also takes a couple features out that some of us came to use heavily.

The only reason I could think of to complain with the original implementation is that, by default, I got an unprocessed sound using USB. I forget now, but I think it may have been because AF2 defaulted to Output 2. That support issue could have been solved by having it default to Output 1 but still making it selectable.

Maybe we can get a 5.01 update pretty soon. This is a deal breaker for me. I'll update just to see the new features. I'll keep praying for this to be changed. Sucktitude!!!

FAS has created a monster!!! I can't imagine the job of trying to please so many finicky creative types such as ourselves. That being said, I want USB source set for Output 2!!!

There I go again with my 1st world problems... (in my most whiny 4 year old girl voice) My IIC+ model doesn't sound right, I can't set my USB source to output 2... Wahhhhhhh!!!

This seems baffling as to why they would choose to limit it, so I can't help but think there is some advantage gained by unlinking USB and DIGI. I'm away from my II, so I can't really see how this works at the moment. I'm wondering if this might provide more routing flexibility for re-amping. Still, can't understand why the USB setting has to be locked.

On a side note, 5.0 sounds freakin' amazing!

I always use Output 1 as USB source so this doesn't really affect me, but there must be a better reason for taking away the option. Not really sure why "people complained" about having a choice. Gotta be more to it...

This seems baffling as to why they would choose to limit it, so I can't help but think there is some advantage gained by unlinking USB and DIGI. I'm away from my II, so I can't really see how this works at the moment. I'm wondering if this might provide more routing flexibility for re-amping. Still, can't understand why the USB setting has to be locked.

On a side note, 5.0 sounds freakin' amazing!

I've been talking to m@ via email today. From what he has told me many people all over the world have not quite grasped the USB/DIGI source selection concept. This feature being locked offers us ZERO benefit at all. It was added ('subtracted') in hopes of cutting down on user confusion and therefor less support emails to FAS. I understand where they are coming from, but still... To the confused end user... If it doesn't work one way change it to the other option!!! Now I just have to hope that we forumites matter enough to have it put back. I'll come up with a temp workaround in hopes that FAS will change this.

For the record I am fine with them unblinking the USB/DIGI source. I am NOT fine with them locking USB source on output 1.

I agree. Bring it back! Bring it back!!! Bring it back!!!

+1 - I loved having the flexability. It's not a deal breaker for me to upgrade to 5.0 but I don't agree with it being restricted either. Maybe dummy proof it? IE: Set the option to default to the way you have it now, but then have an 'advanced' mode that will allow us to activate the flexibile routing.

Last edited:
+1 - I loved having the flexability. It's not a deal breaker for me to upgrade to 5.0 but I don't agree with it being restricted either. Maybe dummy proof it? IE: Set the option to default to the way you have it now, but then have an 'advanced' mode that will allow us to activate the flexibile routing.

+infinity!!!

This brings back bad memories of me trying to find a receiver with a tape monitor. When my receiver broke, I couldn't find a new one with a tape monitor. I called several manufacturers and asked them why they eliminated the tape monitor from all of their new models. The answer was the same..."People couldn't figure out how to use it and we got tired of answering questions". Pissed me off big time.

If (big if) this is true in this case, I have to side with you shotgunn. Hard to believe they'd do this in a product like the Axe for that reason.

I personally haven't been affected by it but after reading it in the release notes I was like "uh oh, someone's not going to be happy" and "why?". I'm with shotgunn and BORNintoMUSIC.

Back
Top Bottom