What is the 'zen master' drive pedal?

I see. I've never tried a Zendrive before. Is there a RangeMaster or what would be the closest drive to it? Thanks Yek, jlynnb1.

The Rangemaster is a treble booster. There's a treble booster model in the Drive block already.

Think Robben Ford. I do have a Zenmaster and I'm quite happy with the Axe emulation. Like the real deal doesn't play nice with every amp.

Think Robben Ford. I do have a Zenmaster and I'm quite happy with the Axe emulation. Like the real deal doesn't play nice with every amp.

What he said. I've got one of the earlier ones, and with the right amp, it's an amazing pedal with a huge range. I've been meaning to try it with the clean Lone Star model, which is how I use it live.

Cool, thanks. I know that the secret to authentic rangemaster tone is to get or make one with just the right diodes. I have the schematics and part numbers and suppliers for a vintage version that purportedly from the Beck, Clapton, Page era. I have heard that the original tonemaster is important in recreating the Clapton 'beano' tone, and many of Beck's and Page's tones. I'll try setting the diode in the drive block to something appropriate if it isn't already.

I notice a lot of Clean Bleed with the Zen Drive. Is this normal with the actual pedal? Even when have the mix at 100% in the axe fx.

It makes you one with everything, but you end up with a strange attraction to Kung Fu reruns. I use it with the Lone Star clean and it sounds amazing.

Cool, thanks. I know that the secret to authentic rangemaster tone is to get or make one with just the right diodes. I have the schematics and part numbers and suppliers for a vintage version that purportedly from the Beck, Clapton, Page era. I have heard that the original tonemaster is important in recreating the Clapton 'beano' tone, and many of Beck's and Page's tones. I'll try setting the diode in the drive block to something appropriate if it isn't already.

Those really simple circuits like rangemasters and fuzz faces are super easy to build, but can be surprisingly tough to make sound great. Seems like the fewer components there are, the more important each one become to the overall tone. I tried about 10 different iterations of the fuzz face circuit with mixed results. I ordered NOS transistors from all over the place, but none of them were quite what I wanted. The old germanium cans sounded great, but were noisy and a bit unstable. Pedal sounded a little different every time I turned it on. Temperature makes them drift a lot. The amp they feed makes a world of difference too.

Back
Top Bottom