What Is The Soonest You Change Strings?

I was changing every other day until I switched to blacksmith strings. Now I change every 2 weeks or so. Best strings out!

Main guitar change after one gig, second guitar after 2 gigs, 3rd and 4th guitars every 3-4 gigs.

It depends quite a bit on the chemical properties of your fingers fluids.
I myself have the sort of fingers that leaves the guitar cleaner than they were before I start playing. Black strings shine after I played them.
I know some people that have their fingers turn strings black and corroded within a couple of minutes.

I never let them play my guitars.
I am one of those turn your strings black people and worn everyone that asks me to try their guitar.

If I weren't lazy (and if it didn't cost too much), I would change my strings after about 1 hour because they don't feel the same after I play them even a little. Since I use strings that are somewhat costly (Thomastik Power Brights), and I don't have a tech, I usually tolerate strings from a week to (sometimes) a month even. I always put new strings on my guitars before playing live though.

Main guitar - I change them 2 days prior to gig - if multiple gigs in same week then the same set stays on for whole week. If no gigs then same set stays on until either 2 days before next gig or until a string breaks, or they become obviously dead/untunable/intonationally poopy. The guitar has SS frets so 'poopy' can come quite quickly with nickel strings.

Other backup guitars - depends on how much use I give them either in a gig or at home. But if they've been on the guitar more than about 4 or 5 weeks with even just sporadic playing I generally feel obliged to change them before taking the guitar out as a backup.

Depends on your hands and where your playing.

You can significantly darken them in 2 or 3 songs.....kill em dead in one 30-45 min set.

At home (all but 1 floyd) I change strings every few weeks...in the studio or on the road, as often as I have to.

I don't change them as often as I used to because I'm not in a band anymore, but I still change them once every two or three weeks or so. I prefer the sound of brand new strings, get that new string sound I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. When I was in a band, I'd change them as soon as that sound started to die. Having an evertune guitar really makes that easy though, so it's not a hassle at all. Don't even have to tune it again or stretch them once on. Just look at the saddle, when it starts to move I know I'm in tune. Tension the string so I can bend it nicely and I'm done. For me it literally takes me 3-4 minutes to change a set so it's ready to go. If I broke a string, it takes me about 30 seconds or so.

I am about to change strings. It seems I change them so as to keep a steady reference for dialing in presets, liking a lot of good harmonics. It seems to me the singing quality is reduced at 20 hours or so of playing time. Sometimes if I don't wash my hands or wipe the strings it could be as soon as 12 hours of play. I feel a little spoiled with having fresh strings and its something I am also curious about. I believe this 12-20 hour usage is very much more often than average. Or is it?

I don't have a classical guitar, but I found this OCD guide for nylon strings. Maybe it applies to electrics. Or is it wasted effort? And maybe this fresh string need thing is due to my ears getting tired after a couple of hours of playing also. If there are producers or players, who may or may not gig and record professionally (hell, some of the best music never gets beyond the wall of a bedroom these days), I would like to know if you Axe Fx people do a lot of gigging/recording with older strings, or typically prefer fresh ones.

How to Extend the Life of Guitar Strings: 8 Steps (with Pictures)

Wait what?

760px-Extend-the-Life-of-Guitar-Strings-Step-6.jpg

Lubricate your strings with lubricant.
Apply lubricant to your strings as often as you clean them. Some cleaning solutions claim to be lubricants as well, but it cannot hurt to double up on lubrication (especially if the lubricant you purchase is superior).

64487102.jpg

Troll article is well done troll.

Teaches you a few legit things to do to improve string life....and last step....ruins them permanently. Its brilliant really.

Almost as good as the "waterproof my iphone" app.

For me, it seems there's this initial period of very bright pingy treble that wears off in a matter of minutes or an hour or two at most. After that it's slightly duller but quite consistent for the next, I don't know, 15-20 hours maybe. After 20+ hours they get more noticeably dull and lifeless. That's when I change em. I used to get two fri\sat gig weekends out of my main guitar.

I knew a few guys who would change every night, because they'd play rock with a lot of pinch harmonics in every solo, as is mandatory to cover 80's hair band stuff :). Pinch harmonics scream with brand new strings.

I think the time range depends a lot on your style as a player. If you pick hard, play a lot of notes, solo and bend strings like crazy, you are going to wear out strings faster than a guy who mostly strums.

If you have a Floyd, Once a year, lol. Studio=Daily/weekly, Other=3-6 months, that's a general guideline.
Like Dutch said it's finger fluids, some guys rust and corrode the strings. My hands are very dry, I hardly
ever need to restring for at least 6 months. Depends on you really. Wiping your guitars down helps too.

Back
Top Bottom