What is the Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator used for?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I see a lot of artists using these rack pieces live. Like bonamassa, and Alex lifeson had a few in his rack as well below the axe fx. What are these primarily used for? Are they beneficial at all to have with your axe fx rig if you're just running xlr direct from the axe? I understand what they are used for in a studio setting, but if these artists are micing cabs live what do they need speaker sims for?
For some reason I'm gassing for one of these and I don't even know what they are. Lol

I used to have the load box version of one. I think it was pd 05 or something like that. Used it for church with my elmwood head so I didn't have to use a cab in a worship environment. Great piece of gear but totally unnecessary,IMO, for the axe.

What are these primarily used for?
They act as a dummy load for a power amplifier, soaking up all that power and dissipating it as light and heat instead of air pressure. It lets your run your amps without them being attached to speakers. It turns the output signal in to a line level signal and allows you to add some filtering to that signal to "simulate" a speaker cabinet. It's an analog filtering circuit. The load is reactive -- a lamp of some kind -- so it's supposed to be more like a speaker to the amplifier than just a straight up resistor and heat sink would be.

Are they beneficial at all to have with your axe fx rig if you're just running xlr direct from the axe?
Not at all. You already have a line level signal and power amp modeling and better cabinet simulation in the form of the convovling IR algorithm the AxeFx uses.

Back in the day, to go guitar -> amp -> efx -> power amp -> cabinet it was necessary. The idea was you wanted that power amp distortion so you brought the entire head down to line level and then reamplified the sound cleanly afterward. I use to use the Marshall SE100 to accomp0lish the same task.

From viewing Bonamassa's interviews and rig rundowns, it looks like he runs a split feed from his cabs to the main FOH/PA system via the Palmer.

He basically uses it to give the audience a consistent sound reproduction of his rig regardless of the speaker systems in the venue.

He always said that his 4 or 6 amp rig on stage was purely for his OWN needs, to be able to 'feel' the tone when he stands there and plays.

EDIT: Here is Joe talking about the PDI-03 in detail...

The Palmer can be used with your guitar cab AND send a speaker simulated line level signal at the same time. Good uses would be for WDW and in amps without fx loop.

He actually use it as his only feed to the console? I bet the audience also hears his loud amps from the stage, so it may work...or he may just like the sound of it :) That said, I never liked the production or his sound on cd's much, but I can enjoy the hugeness of his live sound (what I hear on youtube, that is :D ).

When your amp-sound comes from axe, you do not need palmer PDI/PGA.

When your amp sound comes from tube amp, you can use Palmer PDI/PGA (or more versatile would be Torpedo (CAB, Live), can also load IR from eg redwirez) live to send a line level signal to the desk (and parallel monitor your guitar through your guitar cab) and for recording.

I use PGA/Torpedo at the moment for recording situation:
PDI/PGA can send an unfiltered (without simulation) signal too, so I can add the speaker simulation (IRs redwirez) in the DAW (Logic).
For me at the moment the best recording solution because I can play my amps as usual (feeling, sound, dynamics) and versatile enough to (more or less slight) change my recorded sound in Logic (different mikes, position and boxes).

Both (PDI-3/PGA-04) have a speaker load (for 8 Ohm speaker) so that silent recording is also possible.

I also use Torpedo CAB, very good solution for live and recording - especially for amps with fx loop - if you connect Torpedo CAB in fx loop, you can also have silent recording, and VERY good sound because Torpedo has Poweramp-Simulation (6L6, E34, E84, KT88) too. And you can take your recorded tone easily to the live situation.

Back
Top Bottom