What is the next big modelling nut to crack?

OK, I get it. That would be useful for those who use the Axe-FX as the primary sound-card, like me, so we don't have to depend on room-correction software at the computer
How does room correction software compare to physically adjusting the room (bass traps and the like)?

How does room correction software compare to physically adjusting the room (bass traps and the like)?
In the pro audio world we use time alignment and frequency correction to minimize problems created by the room and the limitations of speaker placement in that room. This is simply tuning the system to get the most out of it in a particular room. We can tune the system to optimize one listening spot at the expense of all others (such as the mix location in a studio) or to spread the problems more evenly over a larger area so everyone gets OK (but not perfect) audio (like in a live concert).

Applying software correction (tuning the system) will give you the best possible results for a given room and speaker setup, but a tuned system in a crappy room will always sound worse than the same system tuned in the same room after proper treatment. In other words, there is really no substitute for a properly treated room, and you should always tune your system to get the most out of it.

In the pro audio world we use time alignment and frequency correction to minimize problems created by the room and the limitations of speaker placement in that room. This is simply tuning the system to get the most out of it in a particular room. We can tune the system to optimize one listening spot at the expense of all others (such as the mix location in a studio) or to spread the problems more evenly over a larger area so everyone gets OK (but not perfect) audio (like in a live concert).

Applying software correction (tuning the system) will give you the best possible results for a given room and speaker setup, but a tuned system in a crappy room will always sound worse than the same system tuned in the same room after proper treatment. In other words, there is really no substitute for a properly treated room, and you should always tune your system to get the most out of it.

To be fair and get back to the OP - this is not actually a 'nut to crack' in regards to modelling....it's really just asking Cliff to combine the features of other products, into the Axe. I do think it's a cool idea though.

While we're slightly off topic - I'd like to formally request Cliff build a digital FOH Mixer. Not that I don't love the existing products on the market, I just know Fractal would come up with an amazing sounding unit, and some clever features that others haven't though of yet.

To be fair and get back to the OP - this is not actually a 'nut to crack' in regards to modelling....it's really just asking Cliff to combine the features of other products, into the Axe. I do think it's a cool idea though.
Not really. Having the horsepower to compute dynamic model behavior, Cliff can test in real time the model. And find something useful for tone. ;)

While we're slightly off topic - I'd like to formally request Cliff build a digital FOH Mixer. Not that I don't love the existing products on the market, I just know Fractal would come up with an amazing sounding unit, and some clever features that others haven't though of yet.
And a mic preamp, with fx.
And a load box, with IR AND FX, integration of LB and FX8. Just for some tube snob...! :)

It will sound exactly the same, but you will not have the same feeling. That is true.

Currently, nylon guitar is modeled quite accurately. I have been using V-Guitar intensively, since the VG-8. The feeling is not the same, but when you've been playing it for a while you got immersed like if you were playing a nylon.

Of course, some purist will never play it because they want to feel the real thing (like the ones that would neve change a tube amp for a modeler) But, can you imagine replacing your current pickup for any Bare Knuckle, Suhr, Lollar, etc. with the simple switch of a preset scene? Virtually changing the position and angle of the pickup? The VG-99 can currently do that, but with a very limited number of generic pickups (classic single-coil Strat, modern single-coil Strat, Humbucker, P90, Lipstick and Rickenbacker Humbucker). Someone has to raise the bar on that area.

We've had enough Cab Packs, now we want Pickup Packs and Guitar Packs!! :D

I for one do NOT want pickup and guitar packs. For the simple reason that the Axe cured me of GAS for pedals and amps. Acquiring and building new amps is the only GAS pleasure I still have left. Don't take that away from me, Fractal, don't!

Back
Top Bottom