What is the next big modelling nut to crack?

VidarAus

Experienced
Never thought about acoustic feedback modelling, and now it is in the III I don’t know how I would play without it.

Never knew about impedance curve matching and now it is a really powerful tone shaping tool and another big step for authenticity and realism.

I wonder what the next big modelling problem there is to crack? Or are all the big issues solved now and it is just playing around the edges?

I imagine there is a bunch of work going on to put more impedance curves in the box, and to create a way to let people capture and add their own curves (this would be another game changer if 3rd party ir producers could include the actual curve as well!).

Maybe more work on ‘amp in the room’ or something?

Fun to think about :)

I have reason to believe that there are aspects of the preamp modeling which can be improved.
When comparing the outputs of the preamp block of the III and the preamp out of jvm head,
the real amp feels more focused in the lower mids where as the III has somewhat of a bloated
hollow character and overall feels more dull in the response. This might be splitting hairs to some,
but for me this is one of the reasons I still prefer to play through a real amp even though the III
is such a compelling all-in-one package. YMMV

This is something I keep wondering as well, but I'm more curious where guitar amplification as a whole is going, rather than just modeling. I'd love to see some genuinely new concepts introduced that move beyond the concept of tube amps (or modeling them) although I have no idea what that would look like or what the purpose would be. Just thinking out loud over here.

• Tube wear.
  • Resistor drift.
  • Capacitor leakage.
  • The effects of dust accumulation combined with relative humidity in the Axe's location
  • Effects of relative humidity in the Axe's location on speaker tone due to the cone's moisture level
  • Random fluctuations in electron spin due too moon phase, mercury retrograde, etc.

I was backstage at an all-star jam at NAMM around 1987. Eddie Van Halen's tech came walking through with Eddie's Marshall head. The back was off and he was carrying it by the end of the head - his fingers going into the open head. (Get the picture?)

Everything else has been covered so I would like to see that modeled.

Back
Top Bottom