What is the internal processing resolution?

dumbeat

Inspired
Cant seem to find it in the manual.
The fact that the AD DA works at 24bit/48k does not mean the internal processing is in that resolution.

Could be 32bit floating, which is critical for avoiding digital overs(as in Pro Tools), and the freq., internally, could be higher than the conversion rate as well.
So im curious to know.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, and I swear I'm not being facetious, but why does this matter, TC? What does one do with this information? Just trying to understand - not trying to sound like a dick :)

Out of curiosity, and I swear I'm not being facetious, but why does this matter, TC? What does one do with this information? Just trying to understand - not trying to sound like a dick :)

Partial:

32 bit floating is a 24 bit recording with 8 extra bits for volume. Basically if there is audio being rendered within the computer then 32 bit floating gives you more headroom. Within the computer means things like AudioSuite effects in Pro Tools and printing tracks internally. So say you decide to AudioSuite (or print) a compressor and the output level is peaking badly… If you are using 32 bit floating, you can bring the level down and restore the headroom so the file will no longer be distorted. This does not work if you are recording analog sound. You can’t just record a bass that’s clipping and restore the headroom afterwards. The benefit of 32 bit floating is in processing internally BUT the downside is the files it creates are 50% larger than normal 24 bit audio files.

Partial:

32 bit floating is a 24 bit recording with 8 extra bits for volume. Basically if there is audio being rendered within the computer then 32 bit floating gives you more headroom. Within the computer means things like AudioSuite effects in Pro Tools and printing tracks internally. So say you decide to AudioSuite (or print) a compressor and the output level is peaking badly… If you are using 32 bit floating, you can bring the level down and restore the headroom so the file will no longer be distorted. This does not work if you are recording analog sound. You can’t just record a bass that’s clipping and restore the headroom afterwards. The benefit of 32 bit floating is in processing internally BUT the downside is the files it creates are 50% larger than normal 24 bit audio files.
33% larger. Also float has a sign bit that doesn't appear in 24 fixed, so it's more like 23+8 unless you're clever. As long as I'm being pedantic.

32 bit floating point mostly. 64 bit floating point in critical locations in the amp block.
This means that a tube amp has over 1500 dB of dynamic range in some points of the circuit??

PS: I wonder if the axe fx could be able to transmit 32 bit fp audio thru usb and spdif

Last edited:
This means that a tube amp has over 1500 dB of dynamic range in some points of the circuit??

PS: I wonder if the axe fx could be able to transmit 32 bit fp audio thru usb and spdif
No. Real-world circuits rarely have more than 100 dB of dynamic range. 64-bit processing is used in critical locations to minimize coefficient sensitivity.

Out of curiosity, where do YOU put the "Audible" discerning in your world?
Had to identify different noise shaping algorithms for a mastering class. That was about at my limit and far from what matters when producing a guitar sound.

Had to identify different noise shaping algorithms for a mastering class. That was about at my limit and far from what matters when producing a guitar sound.
And, with 35+ years at this as well, there is probably more that I can’t hear than I can. The kids love that app that they can hear but I can’t :(

Back
Top Bottom