1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the internal processing resolution?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Discussion' started by dumbeat, Feb 10, 2019.

1. GlennO

GlennO
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Your point is that every mastering engineer in the world doesn’t understand dithering? Any truncation will be almost entirely in the exponent.

2. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Do you understand what dithering is and why it is used?

3. #23 yyz67, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    yyz67

yyz67
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Cliff, what about the D-to-A conversion resolution and output dynamic range?

Also, if the (digital) output signal is very low, wouldn't it have relatively less resolution (be grainier) when converted to analog?

4. DLC86

DLC86
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Those info are in the specs, last pages of the manual.

Yes, you basically lose bit depth so the quantization noise level relative to the signal would be higher, that's why it's good to set the level of your presets to be around 0 in the vu meter.
    But a 24 bit signal has enough dynamic range that you'd probably not notice it even if it's set lower

5. decreebass

decreebass
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I read everything and I'm more confused than ever. I'm glad you guys understand this. I'mma go back to noodling on my guitar THROUGH the Axe Fx - I'll just assume it's magic happening inside that little black box :D

6. finleysound

finleysound
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Yes, but I am not a computer engineer. From my mile high view, the concept of using dither to reduce quantization distortion when reducing bit depth makes sense to me. I’ve done A/B/X listening tests and confirmed dither increases low level details and generally sounds “smoother” to my ears.

7. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Precisely. The Axe-Fx does not reduce the bit depth so no dithering is required.

8. GlennO

GlennO
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Dithering can be useful, but you seem to be confused about the concept of bit depth reduction. Do you have more details about all these mastering engineers who you say are appalled by the AxeFX? :)

9. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

He didn't say anything about being appalled... He said their jaws hit the floor.

That can mean various things, such as amazement.

finleysound and R.D. like this.
  10. GlennO

GlennO
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

True. He could be referring to some kind of physical deformity :). The point is: it's nonsense to think that the lack of dithering in the AxeFX is considered a flaw by mastering engineers. Or by anybody, for that matter.

yeky83 likes this.
  11. REDD

REDD
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

You guys should quit dithering about and play your guitar!

12. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I doubt 99% of users have no idea what it even is, and of that 1% who does know, probably 99% of them don’t care lol

13. finleysound

finleysound
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

See, I KNEW you had your reasons!

14. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Again, nobody said that... You are putting words in his mouth.

15. finleysound

finleysound
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Not confused at all. *IF* the Axe-Fx processed audio at 32-bit, the audio output *SHOULD* be dithered down to 24-bit. Cliff has clarified that the Axe-Fx does not reduce bit depth, therefore, dithering is unnecessary.

Mastering engineers *WOULD* be appalled by the Axe-Fx *IF* 32-bit audio was not dithered down to 24-bit. Not applying dither in this case *WOULD* fly in the face of 20+ years of digital audio best practices.

16. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

No doubt the way Cliff got where he, and FAS, are today is by not always following 20 year old best practices

17. GlennO

GlennO
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Oh my, that's not right at all. The AxeFX of course processes audio at 32 bit. And it outputs to 24 bit. Where you're confused is the conversion from floating point to integer. It's 32 bit *floating* and 24 bit *integer*. There is virtually no truncation with normal audio signals in that conversion.

Kamil Kisiel and yeky83 like this.
  18. yeky83

yeky83
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Isn't dithering unnecessary with 24-bit integer audio anyway? Quantization noise with 24-bit audio is lower than any analog output noise (thermal noise), let alone the gained up noise level of a guitar amp output.

19. #39 yyz67, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    yyz67

yyz67
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

As I understand it, it would truncate depending on the output volume setting. But for nominal (0 db) signals there would be little truncation since 32-bit floating would (IIRC) have 23 bits for the mantissa (+1 for sign) and 8 bits for the exponent (which is a multiplier).

Also 24 bits corresponds to 144 dB dynamic range which is still very large compared to real world of dynamic range ~110 dB, assuming threshold of hearing of 0 dBA and pain-threshold level of 110 dBA (source: http://chchearing.org/noise/common-environmental-noise-levels/).

20. GlennO

GlennO
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

That's why I said "normal audio". In theory, you could contrive a case where there would be some truncation, but with abnormal audio like that, the truncation would be the least of your worries :).