What is the future of music groups vs. individual performers, and instruments

SpudMan

Inspired
This morning I woke up to see a headline about Chance the Rapper and Joey Bada$$. Never heard of Joey, have heard of Chance the Rapper.
Anyway it made me wonder about the future of music. Are there still commercially viable/popular groups being created and flourishing like Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, ....? It doesn't seem like it to me. So it makes me wonder whether music as we older people now it (at least speaking for myself) will be the last generation in the foreseeable future to use instruments like the electric guitar, drums, keyboards, etc. If so, what is the future for instruments like the Les Paul, Tele, Strat, etc.?
I am just thinking that in the next 20 to 30 years, everyone from the rock era wil be gone. What then for instruments?
Again, it just seems like all the popular artists I see in the news these days are individuals, not groups. I really don't pay attention so I don't know if they even have backup bands behind them, or if it is all digitized replay of electronic sounds.

I think a lot of groups actually have the music written and recorded by sometimes one or two people, and a lot of solo artist actually have a team of dozens writing the hits

How many people work on a Beyoncé album for example ? Probably a dozen producers per track lol

History is a wheel and music too in my opinion.. There will be a return to a certain type of music that i supposed most of us loved.. Maybe with an axe instead of an amp but i dont believe trap rap ecc will last for long..

The industry has changed a lot and tends not to nurture artists through early recordings while they develop skills. A band like Rush would not likely be able to get those early albums done / released in the same way today as they did then if at all - so in today's world, it's unlikely Rush could get established or exist despite proof that their music is viable today in a historical context.

Last edited:
Listen to what you like and don't gatekeep or put other styles down. That's about all there is to it.

What's the future of music like? I have no idea. I'm holding a reissue of a guitar built in 1968, plugged into the current generation of digital modelling.

I guarantee people from the Baroque period had the same concerns. People still attend concerts playing that music and people still get university degrees to play it.

In general, and I apologize for this, I think that I didn't make my point well. To Budda, I certainly am not placing judgement on any type of music. I don't appreciate Chance the Rapper, et al, but far be it from me to judge it. Each generation puts its own stamp on music, and that is great. The value of any particular type of music is in the beholder. Some people love Opera (me for one), some people hate it (my wife for one).
The point I was trying to make, and obviously I didn't make it well, was wondering (a) if groups like were typical in the Rock era are still viable and popular with the younger people, and (b) if most music is an individual backed by electronically created sounds, what is the future for "analog" type instruments. Basically, will people buy and learn to play guitars, etc. in mass when our era of Rock music is no longer dominant? Is it even dominant anymore? Sure there will always be people who learn to play instruments and carry on traditions. In fact today there are lots of young artists taking up blues and country roots music, acoustic guitars, fiddles, etc. But it is niche music, not the dominant form. So I just wonder if people will take up instruments and form groups like they did in the Rock era in the near to mid-term future, and if not, what that means for the sales and use of instruments like from the Rock era.
Not sure if I made things clearer here or more confusing. Again, I am open to all types of music and don't place a value judgement on newer music, even if it isn't my cup of tea. My father didn't like rock music, but loved Frank Sinatra.

Honestly I'm not paying enough attention to trends to know. I keep seeing people posting "is rock dying" which tells me that at least some people feel that way. Given a lot of iconic bands started in the 60's, and they're in their 80's now, I guess I understand the concern.

There's still plenty of kids playing in basements and garages - but you have to seek it out, and they won't all be good (yet). I wouldn't look to what's playing on the radio as an indicator.

The thing is that the new generations are realizing that playing electric guitar doesn't really work to get laid. You should all have learned that by now 🤣

I don't really think there's anything to worry about. People were asking the same question when synths and drum machines hit the scene, and not only have Fender and Gibson survived since then, but there are a plethora of guitar and bass companies (like Fractal, Ibanez, Dingwall, Line6, etc) furthering the state of the industry nowadays. It's all cyclical. I think rock as we know it will come back around, just maybe in a different way. Things may not be exactly the same as when the Stones, Beatles, Rush, etc came out but I truly believe the guitar will always be around. Even a lot of these newer artists in pop and hip hop still have live guitar, bass, and drums in the studio and onstage. And I'm one of the most cynical, pessimistic people I know.

To paraphrase one of the greatest, "Rock (and guitaring in general) isn't dead, it just smells funny."

Music (meaning recordings of songs) is just becoming more and more commoditized. They need a new song everyday. Multiple new songs everyday. The more songs, the more money labels make.

It’s kind of like any other industry today where the output needs to grow and grow just for numbers sake. Then a tipping point is reached and the industry (or at least a business) has to reset and/or some businesses in the industry have to stop due to the insane output requirements.

Music is easier to make too, which constantly sets the bar lower and lower. I appreciate that anyone can make a song and share it with people, but the recording industry is accepting demos as full songs and putting them on the radio (in my opinion).

Over time this very low standard will saturate the market, and the general listener will finally complain or stop listening to that type of forced music and a renaissance will happen.

There is good new music out there today, some of it on the radio. Anomolies like Kate Bush’s song resurfacing in such a crazy way will continue to happen, and good music, with actual form, melody, orchestration, and writing will permeate the demo-level music, and more and more people will seek out that kind of thing.

Where I live, as far as live music, anyone who can strum 2 chords on a guitar or ukulele and has a semi-decent singing voice can get a gig. But they’ll gig for maybe a month or 2 until the venue and customers realize how monotonous it sounds. They may have flash and work the audience, but there’s no substance there. (I support new artists but sometimes it’s just ridiculous, the level of gigs they’re getting).

I’m not a flashy player or entertainer (I consider myself a musician not an entertainer) but the gigs I get (solo or duo acoustic style) I keep because I do a wide genre of music and have a consistent sound, show up on time, and generally do above-average difficulty songs that have more than one section/progression. I try to do different songs every gig, and over time, the staff does come to me and say they liked that new one, OMG, this other guy plays the same songs in the same order for months now, etc etc. My gigs tend to not have requests, and customers come up during and after the gig thanking me for the songs I played, good selection, good sound etc.

Not saying any of that for a pat on the back here, but that (at least where I play) the average music listener DOES appreciate quality and the work that goes into something like that. I think this would hold true in most areas of a general population.

Music is a commodity these days, and is usually treated as such. Knowing that going into recording or gigging can help with the dissonance of the performer who has practiced for years before gigging vs the listener who thinks what you do is easy, not special, and “why don’t you know this song that came out today.”

But through that sludge, there is an appreciation for quality and a good sound in there somewhere.

As technology continues to improve, and the world changes, there may not be any “huge bands” the same way we had before, but there will be quality musicians and music on some level. The “standard” in many industries has changed, and we have to adapt to it, same with music. I personally think music will be distributed through NFTs soon whether we like it or not. And with these smart contracts, the artist can actually keep more profit and keep it out of label’s hands. (You can make x% of all future sales of that song/NFT for example, yes a huge discussion, but I do think many things are headed this way.)

But in my opinion, always strive for quality when you can despite the status quo. It may not be vocalized to you every time, but it is appreciated by someone somewhere.

When I have a bad gig or unresponsive audience, I just think of Mitch Hedberg’s line - Y'know, you can't please all the people all the time... and last night, all those people were at my show.

Last edited:
From a purely economic standpoint, it's obviously much much harder to get a group to the point of success where everyone can live off the income the music generates. If you're splitting the money four ways instead of one, that means you have to make 4x to cover everyone's living as opposed to an individual performer where they keep the net profit. This is all before factoring in the everything else logistically to make anything profitable. It becomes an exponential problem if the group tries to tour, travel, etc. or the amount of decision making etc. 4x hotel rooms, 4x gear backline, 4x plane tickets, 4x meals, etc etc.

Even touring pop acts with solo artists are nixing the bass player or keyboard player and having utility players who are simultaneously MD/Gtr/Playback/Tour Manager all-in one and having the laptop cover the missing instrumentation to cut expenses.

It's a jungle out there.

So, just overcoming that hurdle is incredibly difficult and I don't forsee it getting easier for groups regardless of genre.

Back
Top Bottom