What is the "exact?" db of gain increase on muted parallel effects?

Trey

...so that I may subtract from the summing somehow and keep my unity gain structure all the way to the output?

Mix has no effect on the bypassed signal. Bypass mode allows you to mute the bypassed signal. Set it to Mute Out to instantly silence the block output when it's bypassed. Set it to Mute In to allow wet reverb and delay tails ring out.
This is only true if you're using Thru for the bypass mode. Which you shouldn't be if you're running parallel. You should be using Mute In (or Mute) (if you want trails) or Mute Out (if you don't want trails). To include any dry content, when the block is bypassed or otherwise, when running effects in parallel seems slightly at odds with running blocks in parallel to me. It's easier to balance with the level output on the effects block when it's in parallel, not the mix parameter.

True, I was thinking of Thru mode. Mute FX In and Mute FX Out bypass modes do keep the Mix, Level, and Balance controls active. For all the other bypass modes, those controls have no effect on the bypassed signal. I agree it's much easier to set mix to 100% wet and use level or input gain to set your desired mix for parallel blocks. Thru, Mute FX In, and Mute FX Out modes only really make sense in a series context. Letting dry signal through a parallel block really just complicates things.

I haven't been able to get a usable mix that way with this 4 cable setup with mono amp/spkr and stereo xlr to the house.
...so run the mix 100% and use the level to adjust balance by ear. If that's what you mean, I will revisit this.

Yes. For parallel blocks set bypass mode to "Mute In" if you want delay or reverb tails or "Mute Out" if you don't. Set Mix to 100% wet and use the block level or input gain to set your desired mix.

If in doubt, post your preset so we can take a look at your routing.

I haven't been able to get a usable mix that way with this 4 cable setup with mono amp/spkr and stereo xlr to the house.
Give us a screen shot of your grid setup and we can probably guide you with more accurate advice.

...so that I may subtract from the summing somehow and keep my unity gain structure all the way to the output?

If you want to know the equation it's 20*LOG*(The number of sound sources), so 2 same sounds will be 6.02 dB, 3 = 9.54, 4=12.04.

That equation is also really helpful when setting initial track levels when recording, so if you have 8 tracks, set their initial levels to -18.06 dB, 16 = -24.08, 32 = -30.10, 64 = -36.12

Back
Top Bottom