What is the current best solution for "Tube Poweramp Model"?

Chris Hurley

Power User
What is the current best solution for people who need a tube poweramp model- such as you would use with an external preamp?

At one point, I think it was recommended to use the Tube Pre and bend the power amp parameters to match some other amp. I seem to recall some conflicting advice that indicated the Tube Pre may no longer work that way.

What is the 2021/July/23 best answer to this?

I am familiar with the explanation as to why we don't have a tube poweramp model.

I mean, pretty much all the parameters of the amp block's power amp section can be tweaked, right? so pick your preamp model, and adjust the power section to reflect the tube power amp you want to model I guess.

I guess the best answer would be a question. Why do you feel you need a tube poweramp model?
Thats not the best answer, and anyone that needs this knows exactly why they "feel they need it", but I'll play along:

There are a number of us that have tube preamps. MP1, Synergy, etc... They work best with a tube poweramp or at least a simulation. A lot of digital amp devices have tube poweramp simulations for this exact reason. We evidently can't have a straight tube power amp simulation because it would expose the secrets of the fractal universe.

Thats why I was asking "What is the best workaround at this point in time."

I mean, pretty much all the parameters of the amp block's power amp section can be tweaked, right? so pick your preamp model, and adjust the power section to reflect the tube power amp you want to model I guess.

Previously, that's pretty much what you did- pick something where you can flatten out the preamp in the model, adjust the poweramp to your liking.

I was asking what is the current best way with things as they currently are, since there is a constant stream of updates that may have rendered advice from 2 years ago ineffective.

The tube pre is flat at default settings so that is what I would use, tweaking the power amp portion of the model. I haven't heard anything about that no longer being a viable option.
I guess you can still input trim it to keep from clipping it and master trim to get more poweramp color...

Yeah, it might be a bit of a balancing act to get clean input but should be doable. Naturally the best way to find out is try it.

I use tube pre, but would love to have some models with flat pre + power amp color (mesa 50/50, marshall 100/100...those
popular ones). Would also love to be able to mix/match pre/power amps (ie Frampton runs a Bassman for clean but has the Bassman pre running through Marshall power section to get some Marshall color on it to fit in with dirt tones). Don't know what the specific issue is that discourages modeller makers from providing this but if one of them (preferably Fractal) could resolve the security concern and provide some power amp only models, I think they'd gain some serious ground on competition since many users seem to ask for this on all the modeller forums - plugins also.

Last edited:
Tube pre with poweramp and speaker settings set to taste. Maybe mess around with the tonestack type, ex. active, neutral, etc.

What I've done since the Ultra days is to use the Tube Pre with a flat tonestack, with the Input low, master max'd, and then add the power amp/power supply/speaker/power tube/dynamics parameters from whatever tube amp I need. Sometimes I adjust the input and master volume trims as needed as well.

Works great with my Tube Preamps (MTS versions of the Matchless Chieftain, Dumble #124 Skyliner, Marshall Super Lead/Freidman BE, Vox AC30TB, Fender Deluxe, Orange OR-120, Hiwatt DR-103, along with a ADA MP-1 Channel, Kittyhawk Quattro, and Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi among others.

This usage eliminates the traditional issues with tube amps, SPL at the "sweet spot" and the weight of big iron.

That said, lately I've just been using the FM3 4.x's amp models a lot (they're quite good)!

Last edited:
@2112 Leon Todd made a video several months ago doing just that. My iPad is too old to open YouTube and find the link to it, but Leon probably uploaded his preset as well!

Back
Top Bottom