What is the Axe-Fx III's equivalent to the Axe-Fx II XL+'s front panel Bypass Switch? [Solved]

byakuya

I've searched the manual and this forum and I can't find an answer. The closest thing I could find is selecting the Bypass preset on the Axe FX III, and that is fine except it takes you away from the preset you were on. There must be something I'm missing here.

Thanks.

I've searched the manual and this forum and I can't find an answer. The closest thing I could find is selecting the Bypass preset on the Axe FX III, and that is fine except it takes you away from the preset you were on. There must be something I'm missing here.

Thanks.
Curious what you need that feature for? I bet less than 10% of Axe2 users used it. Wondering what we’re missing out on.

I just set a Standby Switch to both my input and my output bypasses. Top right in the image...

I also set my Perform Switches to show my bypass state.

SwitchSetup.jpeg

Curious what you need that feature for? I bet less than 10% of Axe2 users used it. Wondering what we’re missing out on.

I used it a lot to quickly switch back and forth between the AxeFX and a software amp emulator. Workarounds on the III entail editing presets to have this capability or switching between presets, which requires saving the preset you're using, maintaining a bypass preset, and finding a way to quickly switch between them. It can be done, but it was a lot more convenient on the II.

I used it a lot to quickly switch back and forth between the AxeFX and a software amp emulator. Workarounds on the III entail editing presets to have this capability or switching between presets, which requires saving the preset you're using, maintaining a bypass preset, and finding a way to quickly switch between them. It can be done, but it was a lot more convenient on the II.
And just confirming that Bypass didn’t mute the Axe2, right? It is dry signal only, not a mute.

That's right. "Bypass" is a little ambiguous here, but the AxeFXII will transmit a dry signal when that button is engaged.

In your presets you could build a shunt path into the preset that's selected using MIX block. Something like:

Mixer should be immediately before Out 1 block. Connect processed and shunt rows to mixer input.

Alternatively a Multiplexer block could work (again just before Out 1) with no extra shunts. Select processed row or Input 1 as needed.

Mixer should be immediately before Out 1 block. Connect processed and shunt rows to mixer input.

Alternatively a Multiplexer block could work (again just before Out 1) with no extra shunts. Select processed row or Input 1 as needed.
Yea. What he said.

The III outputs a dry signal on channels 3&4. You could set one of the blocks to mute and then select inputs 3&4 in your DAW for the software amp.

Yes, there are workarounds on the III, but none as convenient as simply pressing the bypass button on the II. I don't consider it a problem. I was just answering Chris' question about why someone would use the bypass button on the II.

My set up is in a simple home/studio environment. The signal from the guitar goes into a wah, then into an effects pedal, then into an Eventide Eclipse V4. From the Eclipse the AES digital out goes to the Axe FX III (formerly a II XL+) AES digital in. From the FX III, one out goes to a digital mixer that can route to the home/studio audio system that is clean and accurate, the other to a wireless system that plugs into a real guitar amp/cab. The bypass on the Axe FX allows for a quick and convenient method of getting a dry signal, but still allowing control of the output levels coming out of the Axe FX with the front panel output level knobs. Bypass switches on all of the hardware in the signal path provides for easy flexibility to select various combinations of effects.

axefx3rack.jpg

My set up is in a simple home/studio environment. The signal from the guitar goes into a wah, then into an effects pedal, then into an Eventide Eclipse V4. From the Eclipse the AES digital out goes to the Axe FX III (formerly a II XL+) AES digital in. From the FX III, one out goes to a digital mixer that can route to the home/studio audio system that is clean and accurate, the other to a wireless system that plugs into a real guitar amp/cab. The bypass on the Axe FX allows for a quick and convenient method of getting a dry signal, but still allowing control of the output levels coming out of the Axe FX with the front panel output level knobs. Bypass switches on all of the hardware in the signal path provides for easy flexibility to select various combinations of effects.

View attachment 56408
o_O

View attachment 56408
I'd recommend routing to the Axe-Fx first. It has better converters and your SNR will be much better. Put the Eventide stuff in a loop. Running into the Eclipse first will degrade your SNR as the converters are lower quality and not optimized for guitar signals.

Hi, sorry for waking this thread, i am having a similar requirement:

with axe fx 2, i could use the bypass button, and use axe fx as a sound card in my daw, and would even use third party amp sims like helix. It was so easy.

with axe fx3, i have not been able to that, having an empty preset pushes the di signal of the guitar through the speakers and i cannot hear just the output of my daw.

I have read the responses above and maybe i didn’t understand the proposed solutions. How would i achieve a similar function with Axe FX 3?

thank you

An empty preset sends no signal from the grid to the analog outputs. Use USB IN 5 or 6 to get the dry guitar signal. Make sure you turn off input monitoring in the DAW track or you'll hear the dry signal.

Reactions: TGM
Maybe a wish for a Preset Bypass/Passthrough soft-button? (Although this is complicated by the potential passthrough routings unless something like INx->OUTx.)

Reactions: TGM
Back
Top Bottom