What is happening when a "real" amp/speakers is cranked for a while?

Alarto

Inspired
I haven't played through "real amps" since I bought my AFX two years ago. That's why I didn't remember this phenomenon happening with "real amps" until I heard it again at a great outdoor gig yesterday. I listened the guitarist's sound carefully as always but this time I was so close to the stage that the direct amp sound came through as well. The first 20 minutes or so the amp/cab was kinda "farting" i.e. having extra ear annoying farty distortion in some frequency. Then it just started to vanish and towards the end of the first set it was all gone. What was left was a spot on tone!

So, I thought to myself if this is something that needs to be taking into concideration when shooting out at least your own IRs or even a key to something else? I'm pretty sure it's all about the speaker shaping and response to the volume but could it also be something happening in the amp as well when its warm enough?

Didn't hear it during the second set. Can't rule out ear/perception adjustment to loud noise but I hope it's something else and useful :)

I read some where that a tube and associated components where at max temp after a relatively short period of time. I remember this because I thought, hmm, interesting, my marshall sounds better the longer I play it. I hadn't really associated that with anything other than the amp getter good and hot. Of course this new info made me question my assumption and wonder 'bout my ears!!!!

It could possibly be that even though you were hearing the direct amp, you where also hearing the pa sound, which very well could have altered your perception because of changes made there.

I recently saw Govt Mule (Warren is one of my favorites) and I notice that Warrens sound had this incredible "rip" to it. I was close enough to hear his direct sound but also the pa was in there. I have never heard a guitar amp "rip" like that; it was a really killer sound. But I bet it would have been fairly easy to get that via some careful eq'ing and some full range pa speakers.

My axefx sounds great all night long...

1. Ear fatigue
2. Sound man was dialing out some things.
3. The guitarist got better as he played more. We all have to 'get in the groove', and it takes some time. Very hard to be 'spot on' right out of the gate.

Edit:

Yes it's true that toob's 'warm' up. I know my amps used to play slightly differently as the night went on. I'd have to adjust (which I don't have to bother with now...) That it's a huge difference, that was never the case (after a quick sound check, and the amp had been on standby for an hour...that sucka was warm..)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom