What is going on here?

Billbill

Power User
Hey guys!
Just curious, what happens if you tonematch via USB but amp modeling is off? Does that have any affect on the result? I know it's just an EQ curve thing TM does but was wondering if I'm missing some character from the amp mode itself?

"Amp match" is just a fancy name for an EQ match. It's nothing more or less than that.
What you'll get is a guitar preamp eq matched to another guitar tone.

Hey guys!
Just curious, what happens if you tonematch via USB but amp modeling is off? Does that have any affect on the result? I know it's just an EQ curve thing TM does but was wondering if I'm missing some character from the amp mode itself?
“tonematch via usb” could mean several things, so it’s hard to answer.

are you matching a recording? are you hooking up your physical amp to a mixer and sending it via usb?

in either case, it’s recommended to start with an amp model that is as close as possible to the one you’re matching. if you’re matching an amp with a tube power amp, it would therefore be good to start with power amp modeling on.

on the other hand, you don’t say how you’re planning to play the resulting tone matched model. if you’re going to use the axefx as a preamp and send the output through the power amp section of your head, then you would probably want to match just the pre amp section.

“tonematch via usb” could mean several things, so it’s hard to answer.
Yeah sorry I didn't explain my issue very well and I should have because I do not wish to waste anyone's time out here.
What I meant by tonematching via USB was that I'd simply run a recorded tone from the Mac to the axe via USB. My actual rig is quite simple nonetheless. Just axe to Matrix and a couple PPC 212's. Well, I did some tonematches and got some nice sounding stuff after some minor touch up EQ work. I then realized that somehow I had accidentally turned off power amp modeling before I did the tonematches. I'm wondering how much better they could be if I redid the TM with the damn amp modeling on and wouldn't need the EQ "touch ups" that I added after the initial tonematch attempt.

Yeah sorry I didn't explain my issue very well and I should have because I do not wish to waste anyone's time out here.
What I meant by tonematching via USB was that I'd simply run a recorded tone from the Mac to the axe via USB. My actual rig is quite simple nonetheless. Just axe to Matrix and a couple PPC 212's. Well, I did some tonematches and got some nice sounding stuff after some minor touch up EQ work. I then realized that somehow I had accidentally turned off power amp modeling before I did the tonematches. I'm wondering how much better they could be if I redid the TM with the damn amp modeling on and wouldn't need the EQ "touch ups" that I added after the initial tonematch attempt.
Oh. You’re not going to like this answer, but... there’s only one way to find out which one you like better.

Back
Top Bottom