What is everyone doing for live setup?

I've done only 3 gigs with my III and an MFC, but decided to put it on ice until I can get an FC going cause it was a pita to program and my exp pedals were just not cooperating. Been back using my Marshall based rigs in meantime.

1 gig was a pretty large outdoor stage, and 2 were clubs. Went out-1 to my CLR backline, and out-2 to FOH with them sending some monitor back.

The club gigs went great. Of note is I had ample time in sound check and got dialed.
The outdoor gig was so so. I hardly had much time to check + too many people gathering in crowd to keep wanking figuring it out. Ended up just lowering monitor and cranking the CLR (they can get pretty dang loud).

I recommend having some form of monitor you are familiar with and already have dialied in, and not rely so much on house.. use them as a bonus.
The expression pedals should be the simplest part of transitioning... Did you try recalibrating them on the MFC?

The expression pedals should be the simplest part of transitioning... Did you try recalibrating them on the MFC?

I would think :confused:... wasn't a callibration thing tho.. just sometimes worked sometimes didn't. Im using a Mission SP1 for wah, and tried to get the switch to toggle a vibe and turn off wah but couldn't figure it out... Also used a BOSS FV500 for volume but weirdness there too when switching patches.

Operator error for sure but I lost confidence and patience. I have bunches of rigs.. just ran with what I know till FC.

I would think :confused:... wasn't a callibration thing tho.. just sometimes worked sometimes didn't. Im using a Mission SP1 for wah, and tried to get the switch to toggle a vibe and turn off wah but couldn't figure it out... Also used a BOSS FV500 for volume but weirdness there too when switching patches.

Operator error for sure but I lost confidence and patience. I have bunches of rigs.. just ran with what I know till FC.
Ok... Well, do what works for you ;)

I’m the same as most here, except sending out 2 to FOH and Out 1 to my guitar monitor (RCF or CLR). I monitor the band from a separate wedge.

Either Gemini 2 2x12 FRFR, Xitone MBritt 1x12 FRFR, Line 6 Powercab Plus FRFR, or just using JBL sidefill monitors.

Axe-Fx III > Output 1 > FOH
Axe-Fx III > Output 2 > Matrix GT800 > Pair of Matrix FR2x12s

And I am using a Voes MC10 to control switching.

1> My ears (I use the usb input to run tracs only to my ears for warm up etc)
2> FOH
3> Humbuster cable > DI > FOH (for those pesky venue's that specialize in ground loops!)
4> Band ear mixer

Mastermind LT for offstage redundant/backup control, tuner (all EFX are controlled by Ableton Live)
This is my live rig for bass guitar

I haven’t yet gigged with my III due to the FC issues. However, I expect to maintain the same setup as I use today: OUT1 to FOH, OUT2 to either 1 or 2 Atomic CLRs depending on the gig. Sometimes run IEMs from the PA, which I have come to really like. Am thinking of ditching the CLRs in those settings and relying just on the IEMs and the mixed monitor wedges.

Also waiting for a FC12. In the interim, using either my Kemper with its foot controller, or a very early Traynor tube-rectified YBA-1, fronted with a Klon, customized old Barber LTD overdrive, and a SoloDallas Schaffer. Waiting for Missing Link Audio’s Peacock pedal to arrive, to assume the Barber’s spot. I prefer the Traynor.

If the FC12 ships, I have the AF3 ready with this configuration:
0. Guitar to FreqOut (set extremely slight for sustaining feedback FOH - slight is necessary, otherwise it sounds artificial) to AF3 front instrument input.
1. All patches configured for appropriate fx, amps, modulations, and Outs 1 and 2.
2. FX loop for Prince Dawner Boonar (Echorec is a unique effect and difficult to emulate.)
3. Out 1 FOH with configured Cab IR blocks
4. Out 2 to Crown power amp
5. Crown to 2x12 Z-Best cab
6. Z-Best cab loaded with JBL D120 speakers or JBL and Celestion combination, depending on the venue.

In the rehearsal room, this Fractal-based rig configuration sounds like a dream. We do blues/jazz and intricate classic rock covers. I think the Fractal will sound great live, on-stage.

Axe-FX III > Randall RT2/50 > ADA split stack 2x12 w/Vintage 30s, mic'd like a traditional amp.

Heading towards FRFR/direct eventually, but doing so gradually.

They should be no more awful than using in ear monitoring .... and the way things are going regarding permitted sound levels in more and more venues we'll all have to start thinking differently sooner than later.

It's more down to having a decent FOH system and monitoring now at any size venues ..... and a drummer who can fathom that a mic'd up kit doesn't need battered at full strength in a 100 people size room with a stage the size of a postage stamp.

For years and 100s of gigs....direct out to FOH and IEM all the way......SKB 3u shallow rack is awesome....right now using only 2 expression pedals to change from clean -> overdrive....and going from rhythm to lead, with different settings for clean & lead....:fading in the delays for lead , clean leads uses reverb....many possibilities....program changes done by hand :)
many songs share the same preset...

They should be no more awful than using in ear monitoring .... and the way things are going regarding permitted sound levels in more and more venues we'll all have to start thinking differently sooner than later.

It's more down to having a decent FOH system and monitoring now at any size venues ..... and a drummer who can fathom that a mic'd up kit doesn't need battered at full strength in a 100 people size room with a stage the size of a postage stamp.
All absolutely valid points. I’m saying that playing guitar, with my feedback interaction through a guitar speaker cab, sounds better to my brain, than an FRFR. I’ve tried them all. I’m also saying that a great, real amp still trumps a digital device imitating a real amp. But it’s super close. And a real amp cannot be 1000 of different amps on-stage. I love my Axe-FX III.

My oldest friend plays with modelers and an FRFR. We are a classic two-guitar band. We both typically go FOH with our main outs. Our cabs are usually just for minimal stage volume. Every major musician in the crowd says my cab sounds great. The guys on-stage say the same. I realize, that this is partly a result of conditioning. Our drummers are among the top guys in Detroit.

Lol, you’all definitely don’t want to hear me going on about IEM. We have the top-shelf stuff from UE. They sit at home.

Last edited:
Yup .... I'm in the same boat ... love my Mesa power amp and 1x12 cabs for the guitar/speaker reaction, but even as a weekend warrior I'm feeling the squeeze to play my part in reducing stage volume or lose gigs ..... and it's gigging that I love even if some of them are poxy venues. (Also it goes some way towards recouping the financial outlay on this expensive gear .... or at least that's what I tell myself)

I could swap rigs depending on the venue but that's a pain in the butt too .... need one rig to do all I guess and that's probably going to need to be the AxFX (II) rig - but the MFC is just too big so I need a smaller controller that allows scenes ...... and so it goes on ....

Right now I am running my BE-50 and UA OX for live along with my pedalboard. My monitoring is via my BE-212 or my ASM-10 depending upon how much space we have and the venue.

When my FC becomes available, I'll be running my Axe III, FC-6 and Friedman ASM-10 for my monitor.

Lol, you’all definitely don’t want to hear me going on about IEM. We have the top-shelf stuff from UE. They sit at home.

I agree neither FRFR nor ears replicates the 3D sonic space of a guitar cabinet onstage. Whether or not that's important is a matter of opinion.

Guitar cabs sound different everywhere you stand--too bright here, too muddy there, sweet spot somewhere, but who stands in one place the whole show ? If you love the sound of walking over to the side of your amp and hearing a completely different tone than standing right in front, I agree, FRFR and ears will NOT capture that experience.

Personally, I greatly prefer getting the sound onstage to be as consistent as possible. I'm using Axe III with FRFR or ears right now, but for years before that, I used a tube amp and mic'd cabined into ear monitors. And like most of us, for many years before that, I just cranked up a guitar cab to hear myself. Personally, I MUCH preferred the consistent direct sound of a well-placed microphone on my cabinet vs. the real "cab in the room." And I prefer the Axe III into FRFR or ears vs. the same rig out to a power amp and guitar cab.

But not everyone will agree on that--all good. Find a rig that makes ya happy, and play :)

Back
Top Bottom