What is a VCA master in mixing?

Muzick

Experienced
As far as I understand it, it's where a group of tracks are sent to one bus, effectively acting as a group channel. Am I way off base here or can someone help me better understand this concept?

Also it appears this concept pertains more to pro tools? (I think they developed it?)

If it matters how this definition applies to DAW's, I use Cubase 9.

Thanks!

VCA stands for voltage controlled amplifier. It's sort of like an active volume control that can be manipulated using a separate control voltage. Some big analog mixers had them integrated into their channels as a means to automate level changes across tracks. By linking the control voltage of multiple tracks, you could push the level up or down for all of them by moving just one fader or knob. It's different from a mix buss which instead mixes the audio of the tracks together and then feeds them through a single volume control. The VCA method keeps the tracks separate. Pro Tools apparently recreated this feature digitally in the in their software mixer. Other mixers accomplished the same basic thing with linkable motorized faders instead.

You can automate controls in most DAWs pretty easily, so there's not much need for the VCA approach unless you are used to doing things that way from using analog mixers. Most DAWs have a means of grouping tracks together and applying group controls to them to do basically the same thing.

VCA stands for voltage controlled amplifier. It's sort of like an active volume control that can be manipulated using a separate control voltage. Some big analog mixers had them integrated into their channels as a means to automate level changes across tracks. By linking the control voltage of multiple tracks, you could push the level up or down for all of them by moving just one fader or knob. It's different from a mix buss which instead mixes the audio of the tracks together and then feeds them through a single volume control. The VCA method keeps the tracks separate. Pro Tools apparently recreated this feature digitally in the in their software mixer. Other mixers accomplished the same basic thing with linkable motorized faders instead.

You can automate controls in most DAWs pretty easily, so there's not much need for the VCA approach unless you are used to doing things that way from using analog mixers. Most DAWs have a means of grouping tracks together and applying group controls to them to do basically the same thing.

That makes sense. I'm used to using group tracks and applying FX and other changes as necessary, so it looks like VCA is not going to be a huge help for me.

Thanks!

Another approach is to use subgroups to mix. While it does require some careful forethought, it can give some excellent results. ProTools is great for creating subgroups in preparation for the mix. Also, ProTools is easy to create digital automation for moving the digital faders. I mixed and mastered a New Age album for a local artist and the music was densely layered. Using digital automation and subgroups helped me create a more interesting final product rather than a dense wall of sound with no texture or character. When I was finished with the album the artist commented, "I can smell the incense". I took that as a compliment.

Back
Top Bottom