What is a MIDI channel?

Shredology

Experienced
Hi all, I am getting ready to set up my new MFC/mission pedal board. I have been reading everything on how to do this because I know nothing about MIDI. This is my very first experience with it as a simple amp and pedal guy formerly. I think I understand all I need, but the MFC manual goes through the steps of setting up an expression pedal and one of them is to assign a MIDI channel. Can I just leave this on the default, which seems to be "1", or should I use something else? Thanks.

Think of midi channels as radio stations. The AXE FX by default listens on Channel 1, and I would leave it there. If you add additional devices, such as a Triaxis (midi-controllable pre-amp) or an Eventide ModFactor (outboard effects unit) you can set them to Channels 2 and 3 respectively. Then you can program the MFC to send a Program Change message those two additional units which will set them to the effects or sounds that you want.

Izzy is correct. Just to add a little info. By design spec, each midi input/output has 16 possible channels. And, yes, you can leave it at default. You'd only really need to mess with the channel if you had more devices you were trying to control.

There's a bit of basic information and tutorial stuff on MIDI here: MIDI Tutorials

The guys are right, MIDI channels are just a way you can tell your devices where to listen or send information to allow specific devices to talk to one another. Like things are on the Axe Fx, you can run with a really simple setup and do a lot, or you can make it as complex as you'll likely ever need. It's easily modified if your needs change, too.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom