What IR is Aaron Marshall using?

in addition to the york audio irs, he also runs his axe fx 3 into a powerstage 700 that feeds his revv cabinets that have a v30 and creamback

He specifically uses the GGD cali studio cabs (which are all oversized mesa boogie cabs with V30 speakers), he said this in 2 separate gear rundown video's. Also he's not using a blend of microphones, but rather only an sm57 on the 'sweetspot' (don't know what it means in the studio cabs app, the mic position can go from bright to dark, I guess he dials them in to taste). But he is using different cabs for different tones, for rhythm he said he's using the 'upfront' cab with an sm57 only. Then he basicly exported the IR's of all the different cabs with just that sm57, and swaps between them to get the desired tone.
The reason he does it this way is to cut through the mix better, you don't really need all the low end, especially in his type of music where he goes for a tight tone most of the time, like lower gain single coil sounds and defined chords on higher gain presets.
I guess you could also just use the factory mesa 4x12 IR's with an sm57 for similar effect.

He specifically uses the GGD cali studio cabs (which are all oversized mesa boogie cabs with V30 speakers), he said this in 2 separate gear rundown video's. Also he's not using a blend of microphones, but rather only an sm57 on the 'sweetspot' (don't know what it means in the studio cabs app, the mic position can go from bright to dark, I guess he dials them in to taste). But he is using different cabs for different tones, for rhythm he said he's using the 'upfront' cab with an sm57 only. Then he basicly exported the IR's of all the different cabs with just that sm57, and swaps between them to get the desired tone.
The reason he does it this way is to cut through the mix better, you don't really need all the low end, especially in his type of music where he goes for a tight tone most of the time, like lower gain single coil sounds and defined chords on higher gain presets.
I guess you could also just use the factory mesa 4x12 IR's with an sm57 for similar effect.

I'm pretty sure the most recent of his rig rundown videos talks about using the @York Audio Mesa Oversized cab pack. If I remember this right, he used to the GGD Cali Oversized before the switch to York Audio.

I'm pretty sure the most recent of his rig rundown videos talks about using the @York Audio Mesa Oversized cab pack. If I remember this right, he used to the GGD Cali Oversized before the switch to York Audio.
Ah yes I believe you are right. Also he says he's using SM57 + 121 in that latest rig rundown (29 april 2022 on G66). Anyway, the York audio IR's and the GGD cali are capturing the same type of cabs and speakers, I imagine them being similar in tone.

Ah yes I believe you are right. Also he says he's using SM57 + 121 in that latest rig rundown (29 april 2022 on G66). Anyway, the York audio IR's and the GGD cali are capturing the same type of cabs and speakers, I imagine them being similar in tone.
I haven’t heard the GGD Mesa OS cab, but I imagine it probably sounds very different than mine. All four speakers in the same cab can sound drastically different, the same speakers loaded into an identical cab will sound different, and also two identical mics will still sound different. All of that on top of mic placements, mic preamps, cab room, conversion, power amp, and capture method differences could make those two cabs sound like completely different animals.

It’s pretty wild how many details go into making these things. :)

I'd echo what @York Audio said in response to you, they probably sound quite different. The way V30s (regardless of whether they're Celestion, Mesa or Marshall Vintage etc) have sonically changed over the years is now well-studied and well-documented, most notably by Nolly Getgood himself. Nolly has been very specific about what exact era he's a particular fan of, and what era each speaker in GGD Cali Oversized belongs to, and the York Audio page makes mention of the cabinet dates as well (although not the SPEAKER dates, which could vary from the cabinet date depending on when the speakers finally made it into the cabinet).

Do you recall which specific ggd cali cabs?

Back
Top Bottom