What IR has the tightest response?

calemben

When people talk about a cab being tight they mean the bass. I'm talking about how quickly it stops sounding when you stop. I originally thought this was all in the gate and amp settings, but I TM'd a lesser piece of gear and it stops so quickly that you hear mostly tone. It also almost completely rounds off the attack. The overall tone is a bit intense in the high mids, but the attack and decay are exactly what I want. None of the stock IRs do these things, I haven't heard any IRs in recordings that do, and I'm reluctant to buy libraries just to see if one does. Does what I've described make sense, and if so does anyone know of an IR that acts this way? I'm mainly looking for a 4x12, though a 2x12 might work, too. Playing style is old-school-ish metal.

Last edited:
IRs are not really dynamic. If you really want a short IR then you can try using lower resolution in the cab block which shortens the IR and stops "faster".

However I think that is not what you want. I think you're confusing EQ balance with dynamics. So sure brighter IRs will sound tighter since they don't have low end... but there are so many controls in the amp block to make any IR tighter by brightening your amp.

So... I wouldn't suggest searching for an IR to tighten your sound since it's not the IRs job. Find an IR with a pleasing high end and make your amp tight.

Lower your gain! Lower your bass. Lower you low res from the amp's speaker page. Raise the power amp low cut frequency. Raise the brightness/presence. Raise the low cut in the cab block.

Sooooo much you can do. :)

I wish people would stop using such subjective terms like "tight tone".

Why not just post a sound clip or record for us that you think sounds exactly like what you're looking for, and then we can give our suggestions on what IRs to try out?

Owhammer mixes vintage and modern IR:s have good tight response ,and also check Silent UnderGround Studio IR:s those are also very good IMO. If you buy those Silent UnderGround Studio IR:s would be nice to have also CabLab for those IR:s ,because what i have hear those have been created to match real album tones. And you need mixed those four different IR:s together ,if you are looking for that certain album tone where those IR:s have been capture.

You get lots of different mic IR:s and all those different mics makes that big album style of tone ,when you are mixing those SUGS IR:s together some of those mics do high end others low ends etc... Four different IR:s mixed together whit those SUGS cabinet IR pack right panning and level for all mics ,you get very nice sounding IR:s just like album tones are whit all dynamics attack tightness etc... Those are amazing IR:s i must say ,definitely try check them out too.

Here are links

OwnHammer.com - Store

Silent Underground Studio - Cabinet IR Packs

When people talk about a cab being tight they mean the bass. I'm talking about how quickly it stops sounding when you stop. I originally thought this was all in the gate and amp settings, but I TM'd a lesser piece of gear and it stops so quickly that you hear mostly tone. It also almost completely rounds off the attack. The overall tone is a bit intense in the high mids, but the attack and decay are exactly what I want. None of the stock IRs do these things, I haven't heard any IRs in recordings that do, and I'm reluctant to buy libraries just to see if one does. Does what I've described make sense, and if so does anyone know of an IR that acts this way? I'm mainly looking for a 4x12, though a 2x12 might work, too. Playing style is old-school-ish metal.

And i forget say also that whit those Silent UnderGround Studio IR:s ,you do not need to have certain album/song amp and settings there like original tone have. Because i remember that who did create those IR:s did use there method to analyzing those certain song IR EQ curves ,and he did separate those EQ curves out of those certain songs like amp and cabinet. You can use there what ever you want amp and settings whit those IR:s ,and still you have that studio quality album/song IR there.

But if you want to be very close to original tone where those IR:s have been capture ,then you need to use same amp block and tweak settings to match whit those IR:s. But point is you get certain regular 4x12 cabinet IR there when you mix those four different mics together ,and you can use always that IR whit all different amps and settings and its sound very good.

I repeat. IRs don't have a tightness to them. They have an EQ balance. Mixing many IRs together makes your sound looser and not tighter contrary to what Dimebucker said.

If you're not interested in learning how to make things tight then Fractal's Cab Pack 8 is the TV cab which is one of the clearest cabs with an extremely "tight low end".

The "king of djent" himself likes Cab Pack 8 a lot. ;) Djent is all about tightness. That's the one I would suggest.

Yeah ofcourse but that was not the point I was trying to make. :) Tightness -> EQ balance is easily tweakable with wide Q EQs which are in the amp block. I wouldn't advice choosing your IR based on the low end. If you don't prioritize high frequencies when choosing your IR you may have problematic high frequencies and post EQ will always end up sounding less natural. :)

Obviously the best solution would be an IR which is good in bass, middle, treble and presence areas which is what I aim for with every single IR.

Yeah ofcourse but that was not the point I was trying to make. :) Tightness -> EQ balance is easily tweakable with wide Q EQs which are in the amp block. I wouldn't advice choosing your IR based on the low end. If you don't prioritize high frequencies when choosing your IR you may have problematic high frequencies and post EQ will always end up sounding less natural. :)

Obviously the best solution would be an IR which is good in bass, middle, treble and presence areas which is what I aim for with every single IR.

i wasn't disagreeing with you at all...my response was just right after yours, made it seem so.

Back
Top Bottom