What IR Cabs do you swear by for Rock/Metal

Emanuel

Hi all. I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion and recommendations on what cabs they like using when playing rock/metal. I find the basic V30 cab gives me that chunk and definition but it can be really hissy in the highs ( I usually have to cut a lot out when mixing, but whenever I try out other cabs, they just don't give me that defined chunk. I bought the Misha Mansoor mesa cabs released quite recently and I still just can't get that chunk (far out I'm saying chunk a lot) you get the point.

I've noticed that the high end hiss can be compensated by adding a tape style plugin, if you're recording to a DAW. It smooths it pretty naturally, and you can find some free ones (Massey).
Honestly though, the CP 7 has gotten me through til this day. The 57/421 blends and 57/121 blends are still my go-to's. If you haven't gotten them, pick them up. They'll last!

Hey dude! Rock and metal genres cover a lot of ground. Is there anything more specific you're going for? Which Misha pack were you talking about? Cab Pack 13 or Cab Pack 19?

Hey dude! Rock and metal genres cover a lot of ground. Is there anything more specific you're going for? Which Misha pack were you talking about? Cab Pack 13 or Cab Pack 19?
Hey man!
Mainly an Ola Englund type of crunch (can't really describe it differently) Really percussive but not so much gain that it sounds like shit. And I'm talking about the Misha Mansoor USA cab pack. Would have been pack 13. I'm probably doing something wrong because whenever I hear the demos they sound fucking amazing. I usually play my metal through my EMG 81 / 60, but fucking hate them. Getting Duncan Distortion and 59 installed as we speak so I think I will get much better results very soon

Hey man!
Mainly an Ola Englund type of crunch (can't really describe it differently) Really percussive but not so much gain that it sounds like shit. And I'm talking about the Misha Mansoor USA cab pack. Would have been pack 13. I'm probably doing something wrong because whenever I hear the demos they sound fucking amazing. I usually play my metal through my EMG 81 / 60, but fucking hate them. Getting Duncan Distortion and 59 installed as we speak so I think I will get much better results very soon
Cab Pack 13 is probably one of the easiest packs to use. Keep it simple. Less is more after all. Try a 5153 Blue 50/Red or Friedman HBE with stock settings and f.ex. Misha mix 08. That's should give you a really good sound already. :)

Cab Pack 13 is probably one of the easiest packs to use. Keep it simple. Less is more after all. Try a 5153 Blue 50/Red or Friedman HBE with stock settings and f.ex. Misha mix 08. That's should give you a really good sound already. :)
Cool man! thanks for the help!
I'll be sure to give them a shot when my guitar s back in action. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of me not being able to handle the Axe Fx II once again hahaha

Cool man! thanks for the help!
I'll be sure to give them a shot when my guitar s back in action. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of me not being able to handle the Axe Fx II once again hahaha
Starting fresh might be a good idea when feeling lost. You can create an awesome sound in under a minute. Usually when you spend too much time on something you might get lost. :)

Yeah, stay patient and constantly refer to stock presets, saved me!

I'll just note in defence of the EMG set you have... They kick arse. Great sound, and they'd work great in an Ola sound. I don't think the pups are the weak point in your kit. Although the Distortion/'59 set will treat you well anyway!

The latest Ownhammer Mesa cabs are incredible.
My most favorite one is the OH Mes-st with the V70 option.
The Mesa traditional gets used a lot too.

I have some OH and ML ,FAS All 3 are really good , it's more just personal really .

I personally love the OH ,the Mesa 212 412 and I also have the EVH Bogner But some swear by even the stock cabs as there are some great ones in there

Since you mention liking V30 but finding them a bit too sizzling as an alternative I dig the Lynchbacks ,a little smoother almost a mix of V30 and a green back .

The Lynchbacks are actually my #1 for modern hard rock as they are In your face but smooth at same time which is useful
they fit great in a mix too

Oh yeah I forgot about that Bogner EVH Ownhammer cab.
It works very well for brutal metal indeed.
It does have the chunk, for days!

CP13

CP19

They're getting a lot of chunk for me, but there is one thing, pickups are one of the most important parts of guitar recording, and guitar OFC. :)

Exactly you can not go wrong whit Ownhammer IR:s always sound spot on IMO ,i did buy today finally Ownhammer 412 Mesa Traditional pack need test soon those when i have some extra time.

The latest Ownhammer Mesa cabs are incredible.
My most favorite one is the OH Mes-st with the V70 option.
The Mesa traditional gets used a lot too.

When people are dissatisfied with the chunk and percussiveness of their tone, they're usually comparing a guitar/bass/kick drum tone to the tone of their guitar by itself. No isolated guitar tone can ever match up to that.

I recorded a new clip today with the most brutal metal tone that I could come up with right now.
I hope it's heavy anough for you guys.
Tomorrow I'll upload it.
I used the 5153 red amp with the OH Bogner EDVH cab.

I recorded a new clip today with the most brutal metal tone that I could come up with right now.
I hope it's heavy anough for you guys.
Tomorrow I'll upload it.
I used the 5153 red amp with the OH Bogner EDVH cab.

Do you know if OH is going to release a few more cabs before the holidays??

The "old" OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_SP is my go to cab for V30 sounds. I find it has a balance and a creamy sound that's perfect for my taste, except for the Mesas, for them I use the ML Soundlab IR's CP7.

Back
Top Bottom