What inears do you use

I used to use mid-range Etymotics and then Sure 3 or 4 driver versions (can't remember the number; I think they were around $500).

Eventually, I've broken every IEM I've ever had. At some point, it just became "not worth it" to spend a bunch of money for ~10% better. The KZs with tips that actually fit your ears and don't feel like they're made of razor blades are fine.

If I were mixing/mastering on them or using them as a primary source, that decision would probably be different.

I used to use mid-range Etymotics and then Sure 3 or 4 driver versions (can't remember the number; I think they were around $500).

Eventually, I've broken every IEM I've ever had. At some point, it just became "not worth it" to spend a bunch of money for ~10% better. The KZs with tips that actually fit your ears and don't feel like they're made of razor blades are fine.

If I were mixing/mastering on them or using them as a primary source, that decision would probably be different.
This is good info. The IEMs i bought are strictly for live use for my vocalist and me. Went with the kz mainly because of the drivers. Looking forward to try them irl.

The main concern I got with using iem is that the bass frequencies tend to swallow everything else. And since i play bass in that band, its kind of important. I don't expect them to be super high-end in all ways. Bit I think it looks promising.

This is good info. The IEMs i bought are strictly for live use for my vocalist and me. Went with the kz mainly because of the drivers. Looking forward to try them irl.

The main concern I got with using iem is that the bass frequencies tend to swallow everything else. And since i play bass in that band, its kind of important. I don't expect them to be super high-end in all ways. Bit I think it looks promising.
At least IME, bass issues with IEMs seem to be related to fit issues. Again, IME, it's more common that bass disappears.

I also apparently have really tiny ear canals. So...a lot of the tips that people recommend don't work for me. Comply tips, for example, don't come small enough and wind up over-compressed/squished when they try to expand...so they wind up painful and weird, and the bass is all over the place depending on exactly how they're sitting.

Strangely enough, the cheap triple flange tips you can get from a lot of brands (and all probably come out of the same factory in shenzen) work best for me as long as I can get them small enough.

How do you all cope with the not actual present sound isolation of the kz zs10? I also use shure 215 as a reference and the sound isolation is way better, especially with the drums live and at rehearsal. I want to embrace the KZ, but this is a real thing for me.

PS: we play extreme metal.

PPS: oh, I just realize it depends on proper memory foam buds, right? I still used the silicone ones. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I got my kz IEM in the mail yesterday. (Shipping issues in my country) I will try mine on rehearsal and get back to you with what, both me and my vocalist think about them. As far as I've tested them at home, they seem to do a great job sound wise. And I think I got lucky with the fit.

I agree that the fit of the IEM in most cases are crucial for bass response. Every IEM system will sound like absolute horse sh**t if does not fit in your ear! Hehe.

What I tried to refer to is that having only one driver, one can easily overpower the actual element that is reproducing the sound. This will probably not be an issue with the KZ, as the ones I bought have 5 drivers. So very happy with that.

So kind of exited to try them with alot of sound in the room from the drummer.

Thank you so much for replying! It's really appreciated!

How do you all cope with the not actual present sound isolation of the kz zs10? I also use shure 215 as a reference and the sound isolation is way better, especially with the drums live and at rehearsal. I want to embrace the KZ, but this is a real thing for me.

PPS: oh, I just realize it depends on proper memory foam buds, right? I still used the silicone ones. Any recommendations?
Comply foam tips, get the multipack to determine your size to stay off with.

Not necessarily memory foam. You have to figure out what works for you. But, yeah, isolation and bass response are a lot about the fit, which is mostly about the tips you use.
Comply foam tips, get the multipack to determine your size to stay off with.
That's a very good place to start. I don't like them at all. But, I have really tiny ear canals. The ones that are small enough for me don't wind up having enough padding, so I can feel the plastic inner sleeves and can't stand them.

There are a LOT of options on amazon (or a lot of other places). Most of them are affordable. I'd say to try that multi-pack of comply tips as well as a multi-pack of triple flange silicone, see what you like best, and go from there with things that look similar to your favorites.

Hi everyone. I just got home after trying my new KZ iem.

I can easily go with the others in this thread and say they are great. I experienced, what have been said earlier in this thread, that the they have a real nice frequency response, and they can get fairly loud before they crack up. First song tonight was too loud, and then I started to notice, smacking transients and stuff like that. But it was an easy fix. I just turned down the volume a bit, and they sounded great.

Thoughts for the fit: I think I need to try the memory foam. I believe that would solve the other issues i was experiencing. (The typical ones, like halfway through a song, one of the iems would fall out.

But great quality for money. Thank you folks for giving your answers and help. It's really appreciated!

I've had Westone IEM's triple driver for 10 years. These are the comfy tips model.
The Westone sound great, but they kept falling out of my ear canal.

Invested in some Alclair Quad drivers with custom molds. Not the most expensive, but
worth it. I play two or three times a week, as a music director ( keys) or EG at a church.
The Aclairs are worth it, and they have a lot of clarity at lower volume.
My FM9 sounds great with them, either direct or threw an app for monitoring / mixing.

Back
Top Bottom