What Ideas/Concepts/Tutorials to cover in YouTube videos?

Scott, you have a really good ear for live FRFR amp tone.... I would love you to showcase perhaps 1 amp and speaker cab (axe fx or 3rd party IRs) before you start your tutorial vid of the week or however you will go about it and throw it up on axechange and if it contains a user cab just tell us what is so we can go buy it or might have it already. This way we can here and open are eyes and ears to other tones than we may not go to regularly and try live.

My suggestion (if you are interested and familiar enough with the topic) would be to cover the various gain/clipping stages in the signal chain (distortion pedals, preamp gain, EQ, poweramp gain, speaker clipping, etc.). For each stage, describe and demonstrate its characteristic sound and discuss how to use it in the Axe-Fx.

Whatever you end up doing, thanks for the contribution!

Please show us how you set up the Variax for use with the Axe. Mine sounds cheap thru the HD500. Thanks

Tone matching - Current status with different techniques and variables... when to use live etc... tone matching recordings...live sources... the whole sha-bang-a-bang!

As a new owner, I would greatly benefit from MORE video tutorials on everything. A Video is worth a thousand works.

I saw solo a week do a video on Scenes (just FYI as someone was asking). I am up for anything. Fractal should do a professional video and really get into this thing, they could sell it, but they are the experts and know how to do things that most people don't even know to ask.

I THANK YOU in advance for any videos you do. I love this thing, and just need more info and expereince so I build my AFX Confidence.

Thanks

Here is a rough outline that I did in ten minutes. Make each video segment between 4:00 and 15: minutes in small chunks. Release them as a series and make it fun and entertaining. Keeping it short makes them precise and to the point. breaking them up makes them a weekend watch or a pre purchase anticipatory excitement study of what they are buying. I stopped at MFC but you could go on and on. Make the whole thing 5 hrs long in total and you will have a fan base for life. Once the new unit arises re do it or update it by doing what has changed.

Its a lot of work, but has been needing to be done for a real long time. the fact is that most people are visual learners.

Fractal Audio Sylabus

1. A history of modeling technology, what is it and where did it start. A brief history lesson
  2. What is a FractaAudio AXE-FX II, History of the company, designer/Owner information.
  3. Different Components of the AXE-FX Front and Back. What do the Knobs and jacks do specifically.
  4. OS, explain the front panel os, the grid system.
    1. Show how to move through the grid. What knobs can you use to move around within the os.
    2. Explain a preset, how to save, and how to backup internally.
    3. Explain how to use a modifier
    4. Explain how to use an arpegiator
    5. Explain how to use an LFO
    6. Etc--
  5. Explain the Different effects
  6. Modulation type
  7. Pitch type
  8. EQ type
  9. Delay type
  10. Drive type

1. Explain the different Amps
    1. What is an amp
    2. What are the controls and what does each do in detail
    3. How do I use the advanced features within the unit
    4. What can id do to make a simple amp sound like
      1. Country
      2. Rock
      3. Jazz
      4. Rap
      5. Reggae
      6. etc
  2. Explain Cab simulation, History of IR technology what is it and where did it come from
    1. What is an IR
    2. What type of IR can I use in the AXE-FX II
    3. What are the controls in the Cab block what do they mean and how can I benefit from tweaking certain things to make it better.
    4. How do I mix 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party IRS
    5. Etc
  3. How does Fractal Bot work
  4. Install and setup
  5. Tabs,
  6. What does each function do and how do you do it.
  7. Install setup
  8. How does the grid system work
  9. How do I create a simple patch
  10. How do I add a block
  11. How does AXE-EDIT 3.0 work
    1. Serial connection how and why
    2. Parallel connection how and why
  12. How do I save
  13. Etc
  14. MFC 101 etc

Here is a rough outline that I did in ten minutes...

There you go Peterson - just do that. And by Friday. :)

For me, instead of using your time to make owner's manual-type of videos, I'd be interested in the SP approach to things, since you have a long history with amps, modelers, and the Axe-Fx. Topics such as watching you explain how you dial in your Marshall patch, what you're listening for when auditioning IRs, how do you lay out your pedalboard, use modifiers, etc. That would be fantastic.

For me, instead of using your time to make owner's manual-type of videos, I'd be interested in the SP approach to things, since you have a long history with amps, modelers, and the Axe-Fx. Topics such as watching you explain how you dial in your Marshall patch, what you're listening for when auditioning IRs, how do you lay out your pedalboard, use modifiers, etc. That would be fantastic.

That works too...;-)

I'm going to start here; but the idea was to find out what other people want to get other than what I planned.

There are a LOT of great ideas above; I'm also not the only guy doing this stuff. Lots of great approaches and people to add to the resources, that's one of the keys of the community around Fractal's gear.

Gain staging.

but seriously - figuring out levels of different effects and how they affect the tone would be still great, even though I think I got some grip on it.

Thanks.

One thing I have shown a few Fractal playing buddies, is how to use the looper to do some tone adjustment hands free.

I love the ability to just concentrate on tone without having to play guitar at the same time, yet time after time, I find myself reaching to the axe, with my guitar precariously perched while I twist tone knobs and sift through ir's.

So, if you could do a video that would help me to not forget I can use the looper to do my tweaking....that would be great !! :mrgreen

Smart use of exp pedals, in-depth use of adsr and envelope. Use of looper. Use of the lesser known blocks such as multicomp, crossovers. And better understanding of all modes in the multidelay and multichorus.
Advanced used of pitch and synth blocks. How to do sequences on the arpeggiator, how to generate different tones on the synth. (If anyone ever heard that AxeFx disco party patch, he will understand) that patch had drums in it! And it was all AxeFxII

Scott,

Personally, I would concentrate on the new firmware and how to dial in your base tone using. Things have changed so much over the past couple of months, it might just be good to hit the basics and hit on the top 10 advanced features in the amp/cab block.

-Nate

Will look forward to seeing anything you care to throw up. There is so much still for me to learn. Thank you for taking it on. I'm sure so many folks will benefit from it.

Something I'd like to see is what you do to get a totally clean sound out of an amp that's breaking up. Fenders are great clean amps, but some of the models are breaking up - you can dial the gain back, but then you can barely hear them. I'd love to see what you do to get that great clean fender sound and still keep the volume (if it's possible).

Something I'd like to see is what you do to get a totally clean sound out of an amp that's breaking up. Fenders are great clean amps, but some of the models are breaking up - you can dial the gain back, but then you can barely hear them. I'd love to see what you do to get that great clean fender sound and still keep the volume (if it's possible).
Turn up the amp's Level control. :)

Will look forward to seeing anything you care to throw up. There is so much still for me to learn. Thank you for taking it on. I'm sure so many folks will benefit from it.

The key to this is gain staging.

If you gain stage a clean preset with no breakup correctly, then you can use your amplification system to get the desired SPL. Let the amps and speakers do the heavy lifting.

Inside the preset, you need account for headroom, no digital clipping and probably leveling with your other presets for the show.

How to cut through in a live band setting, using backline, without taking away the core of the sound you want! Always an arse to sort if you've not got forever ending rehearsal time and non-patient band members. ;)

Hey Scott,

Excellent idea. I don't think I have any different suggestions than what you described or what has been mentioned. What I'd love to see are videos aimed at gigging musicians in a hurry!! I play 3-5 times a week and since the day I received my Axe, I haven't used anything else. Because of how busy it was and the sense of urgency, I didn't have time to do more than get 7-8 basic presets ready and tweaked. Since then (about 4 months and 60 some odd gigs ago), I have slowly discovered a new thing here and there, but nothing even scratching the surface. And I'm not talking about the crazy amp parameters, sag, etc. I'm talking about "I have a bunch of shows this week and I need this, this, and this. How do I do it quickly?" The videos on YT have been helpful (big shout out to Chris at Katsu Kuri Media!!) , but a channel dedicated to Fractal stuff would have been awesome.

After gigging this spring and summer (and also finally getting the MFC!! :)) I've hit a block, especially now that I have the MFC. With the MFC, there seems to be zero limitations, so I'm not sure where to start. Videos on using both the Axe and MFC demonstrating, at first, basic things like initial setups, firmware updates, setting up expression pedals and controlling parameters, organizing presets, x-y functions, and scenes would be a great start.

Thanks a million and best of luck!!

John

Last edited:
It's always nice to see how others use their equipment, their setup, how they connect the unit and more. There is much to learn, even if it's not your style or genre. I believe that with the Axe-Fx, as someone has already written, there are no limits except those of his own imagination. So Scott go ahead and rock this house!

Back
Top Bottom