What Ideas/Concepts/Tutorials to cover in YouTube videos?

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
There are many different guys offering great videos on YouTube that are helpful to Fractal owners.

I am planning and starting my own series of 'what, why, how' sorts of videos primarily for direct-to-FOH/FRFR guys. I have my own ideas about what I should focus on showing from my point of view and thoughts, but wanted to stop before I dive too deep yet and ask people what they want videos describing, highlighting, explaining.

I want to be to the point, work-a-day sort of pragmatic down to earth useful. I come from the 'average joe' guitar player and not the 'watch me shred my a** off' sort of thing. I'm not a 'get the VH1 tone NAILED guy' either (*though if you are, then my advice is to get Tone Matching down and USE it); more just work with the tools to get your own tone thing. These videos would not be done to impress anyone or prove anything; but focused on helping owners use and get the most from their Fractal gear so they can just play and have fun.

To me the focus of these sorts of videos from me would be broken down into three main categories; each video would be all three segments:
  1. What can you do? What to do? Demo, discuss and explain what is possible.
  2. Why this or that? Why parallel routing? Why serial routing? Why this delay or that delay? Why this cab IR over that cab IR?
  3. How to? How to approach setting up your preset? How to do parallel routing? How to dial up a given amp if you've never used one like it (but need that tone for a gig)?
That's my grand plan. I was going to start with an overall demo of what the heck I actually do with my rig the way I have it setup and break it down first, then go from there bock by block and ranging all over looking at different topics that I have come up working with people, artists, doing demos, recording, playing live, what gear to use with the Axe-FX and why, and more.

With all that in mind, what in addition to all that would you like to see covered? What would be useful to you?

Scenes. It have never been covered by Fractal that I am aware of. The pluses, the minuses, how to, what to avoid, etc....

I think you've answered your own question ..... just take it as if you've got a new Axe-Fx and someone stole your computer with all your backups. Set it up for studio monitors and tweak for a couple of different guitars like a HB one and a single coil one. The studio set up would probably involve more cab IR work?

Then progress to setting it up/tweaking for live FRFR?

And try and keep your clothes on at all times please.

1. Setup from scratch a basic AMP -> CAB preset that sets up a Clean / Crunch / Rhythm / Lead 4 - footswitch setup like a convention 4 channel amp. Start with a Marshall amp.

2. In subsequent installments follow-up with more add ons: add volume pedal and wah pedal.

3. Add delay / reverb / rotary.

4. End up with changing the amp type to a Fender, and then the Dumble etc.

I suspect this may not be part of your plan but..
What about a quick review of the AFX Discussions, determine what are the ten most commonly asked questions, and build short two min How-To video lessons.
They would make excellent links for the Wiki.

Examples:
How to setup Axe-Edit to do backups, and where they are placed, and how to do restores.
How do use Axe-Edit snapshots.
How to do MFC setup for tap/tune.
How to do MFC setup for scenes.
How to do MFC setup for looping.

Instead of long tutorials, possibly short quick ones that eventually build a library of videos that show how most common functions are done.

I believe you should do just as your planning and once you cover what you were mentioning your next video ides will just come naturally. Once Axe Edit is released you'll be able to cover that and also Fractal Bot. There so much with the Axe your videos could really grow over time. I have a Youtube channel myself I actually have a video that is just about to hit 4 million views. I guarantee with all the axe users your channel will grow I was actually thinking about this myself. If you ever need any help with anything let me know I have been working with multimedia for many years. I wish you the best with your channel and look forward to learning from it.

Scott,

I think you've already got a decent game plan. Your previous vids regarding level setting and your presentation at Axe fest last year were already a good source of information. Trying to keep that format would be a good thing IMHO. SImple, to the point, easily understandable.:encouragement:

Personally I'd welcome pointers to get out of one's comfort zone. Using different (unknown) effects/amps for instance. How to dial those in etc. I'm an 80's kind of guy, dialing in Marshalls etc isn't a problem. Getting a fluid clean(ish) sustaining bluesy lead tone for instance... That can at times present a challenge.

Best of luck on this project. Let me know if I can be of assistance in some way.

Fantastic idea... Scott thanks. My two cents idea... With over 20-30 effects...in the Axe and for the basement only player....

1. What effects are placed in what order
2.why certain effects in before the amp and certain ones after
3. When to use serial and when to use parallel
4. A separate video on everything tap tempo...
5.examples of before and after for all effects to show how sounds change...
5. How to mess with some amp settings...

Thanks

In addition to the previously mentioned ideas, what if you took a deep editing parameter (e.g. sag, or transformer match) and show how it affects the tone, feel, response etc. Also show how other controls interact with it, and how to use it to get certain things you are looking for (e.g. more sustain, or more pick attack, or more clarity on low strings while keeping the high strings fat sounding etc.). Then you could take a poll of all the parameters and cover them in the order of demand. Take one a week (or month) and work your way through the list. Another type of topic might be: You want more (or less) bass in your tone, but there are multiple ways to do this. But each affects your sound differently. Show how each differs, and how they might interact. Just some ideas to ponder.

Scott,
#2 would be awesome...it's always easier for me when I can hear why one is "better" than another. I enjoyed your presentation at axe-fest (as well as your leveling video) and truly look forward to these videos.
Keith

Some great ideas above... one thing I might suggest (along with loopie above) is to see if you can make your videos short and sweet and not pack too much into each one, depending on the topic being covered. I think this takes a bit more planning going into it, but this might allow you to do them more often or avoid getting burned out, etc. When I've watched video tutorials for other products (say Photoshop), they seem to work better for me in this format.

I've not spent a ton of time with Axe Edit up to now, so anything showing how to get around efficiently in Axe Edit would be helpful. The suggestion for working on a specific advanced setting (like transformer match) as mentioned above is a good idea. The wiki is great for a lot of this type stuff, but it can be much more helpful to see/hear examples along with some written content.

Thanks Scott

Great idea Scott, I'll subscribe to your YouTube channel instantly :encouragement:

For me, I would love to see more takes on using the Axe Fx II with the MFC in live usage. So looking at different songs with different sounds in the intro/verse/chorus. How to select what scene/preset to use for what, if there's ever any setup that is too complex to cover with just scenes in a song. Basically how to make playing as easy, effective and fun as possible.

I would also love to see/hear more examples of how to dial on tones in a band context. What to listen for in order not to be drowned or to overpower the others. How to catch this and how to tweak things to make sure that the guitar sits perfectly in the mix.

Last edited:
Dialing in a tone that fits in a mix
how much gain is too much gain?
How to get saturated tones without losing clarity or getting fizzy
Using Delay, Reverb, etc... Mix % when going Direct to FOH (I always worry about running too wet)

YES!!!!!

Scott, thanks for considering this video lesson concept. I look on youtube regularly for new videos relating to the AXE FX II. Any of the ideas you mentioned would be welcome viewing.

Back
Top Bottom