What I want to See AX8 II

I would just want a poly tuner, tap tempo to any footswitch and more power. More power as in channels (like Axe III) and more reverb per preset. That's all that I need, aside from maybe a power amp, but that one has proven to be quite controversial.

To me there are a few clear features that after reading the forum I'd be shocked if they don't include.

1- More CPU power. Obviously won't have allll the horsepower of the Axe III but a good amount more is necessary after hearing about it in various threads.
2- Better UI. Yes we can all learn it and become more comfortable but it's still a much needed improvement.
3- Scribble strips - more clear like the RJM controllers and less like helix. The fact is you can assign different blocks to different footswitches per preset so to me that calls for scribble strips.

I think the probability for these happening is very high. I do wonder if they are shooting for compatibility between the III and the next floor version for easier bug maintenance, fw changes...etc. As right now things have to be ported to the AX8. Would be very cool if the architecture was similar to make this easy for FAS.

1. More CPU Power
2. Channels / Gapless Switch
3. More flexible routing options (I'd like to send a signal to poweramp and the piezo output to mixer - also I need two input for piezo and magnetic)

To those asking for Bluetooth, the iPad app already works via BT-Midi but unfortunately the AX8 can't drive the Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI adapter without power (like the Axe FX does). So being able to will be perfect: Cliff should only support the MIDI interface and app developers can create BT apps

X/Y/Z blocks
More control switches
More scene controllers
More controllable parameters, including X/Y/Z changes
In particular, PEQs with all gains controllable
More power to make it happen

tldr, more control

I agree with many on the wish list so in the hope to be adding new ideas....

Smaller but hi-res display on the pedal but an added Bluetooth interface à la Eventide H9 and maybe a mini HDMI out to connect to an external device.
(I have either my iPad or HP laptop on a stand as I hate using the pedal controls preferring AX8 Edit or FracPad.)

Reconfigure layout to take advantage of the smaller display.
Optical SPDIF instead of copper.
USB Audio out. (Maybe use AX8 Edit via Bluetooth)

In this day and age where I can pick up a RPi Zero W CPU board for 15 bucks, how hard would it be to implement I/O control?
Keep the main CPU chugging away at all those wonderful tones and effects while the overhead is done elsewhere.

Pinch me...

Display has to better or scribble strips of some type.My eyesight is fading, I can't see the display without bending down. Pair that with the clunky UI and tweaks on the fly are nearly impossible for me. I picked up the L6 HX Effects for fun and gotta say the colored UI is a joy to use.

The smaller display is to allow for a better layout above the foot switches. I should have also mentioned the scribble strips.
Ever since getting my H9, I really like the thinking behind what Eventide did. Instead of putting an iPad sized display at your feet, the information is sent to an external display such as my iPad at say, chest level where it is much easier to read and control. Bending down to touch a 7 inch display would not seem to work for me and my feet are too clumsy to tap dance with lights and enhanced switches as shown with other products.

I always have my AX8 connected to either FracPad or AX8 Edit depending on what device I am using and a display mounted on a stand in front of me. It just seems to work best for me.
Also noticed the size of the HeadRush and Helix pedals... It's like 2 large pizza boxes side by side!
There has to be a better way to accommodate a much larger display.

Just my 2 cents and prefer the approach used for the H9 based on experience.

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum and hopefully soon to be new FAS user. :)
I was looking for a floorboard unit for my live playing and home studio use for few months. Ofcourse once I was decided to buy AX8, FAS released AXE FX III and new foot controlers. Now I'm stuck thinking whether buy AX8 or wait for new one, which may or may not appear soon :crystalball:

Personally what appeals to me is AX8 sound (YT and Soundcloud tracks), size, tonal options. I don't want to carry 80 kg of amp & cab with me to every concert. And I'm not a guy with 10 stomboxes, who would like to dance around pedalboard to shape my tone for needs of a particular song. What I need is fairly small, reliable, durable floorboard with a great tone, which allows me to add reverb, delay and volume with a single step. Hopefully without any signal gap. Same for changing tone (amp, cab, drive) while playing.
I'd love to see a colour assigned to each switch for dark stage use. Display? Just like FC, just maybe with higher resolution on the main screen to provide better readability from afar.

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum and hopefully soon to be new FAS user. :)
I was looking for a floorboard unit for my live playing and home studio use for few months. Ofcourse once I was decided to buy AX8, FAS released AXE FX III and new foot controlers. Now I'm stuck thinking whether buy AX8 or wait for new one, which may or may not appear soon :crystalball:

Personally what appeals to me is AX8 sound (YT and Soundcloud tracks), size, tonal options. I don't want to carry 80 kg of amp & cab with me to every concert. And I'm not a guy with 10 stomboxes, who would like to dance around pedalboard to shape my tone for needs of a particular song. What I need is fairly small, reliable, durable floorboard with a great tone, which allows me to add reverb, delay and volume with a single step. Hopefully without any signal gap. Same for changing tone (amp, cab, drive) while playing.
I'd love to see a colour assigned to each switch for dark stage use. Display? Just like FC, just maybe with higher resolution on the main screen to provide better readability from afar.
Welcome, Bestial! You're asking some good questions, but you might be better off asking them in a new thread of your own instead of hijacking this one.

To answer your main question, if you're looking for a purely floorboard-based rig, the AX8 is it. The Axe-Fx is rack-mounted, but can be controlled by a foot controller.

If you have more questions, start a new thread, and you'll get answers.

Following would be my top 5 picks

1) Faster CPU (for more complex presets, faster switching)
2) Global Looper
3) Faster communication with Axe-Edit + wireless option
4) Mic input
5) Lighter construction

I would not be surprised if a new floor version of the 3 was designed in parallel and is scheduled to be launched after the 3’s next year.

I am thinking - yeah the usual stuff, more CPU etc.
But what I think is the coolest option on the Axe-FX III? Those In & Outs you can pop everywhere in the preset.

It is so convenient:
Using just a breakout OUT2 Left for a Poweramp + Guitar Cab, input an arbitrary signal somewhere at IN2 (random tone generator somewhere? ;) ), having a complete Mono-Loop left. Or if you want then use the old FX-Loop Block - something like you may use your stuff like a traditional loop for convenience and ignore the rest, or choose to get full flexibility and place your INs and OUTs where you like

This would of course need a bigger grid, and then you are tempted to put in more stuff, because - more is more ;)

That's why I think this is more or less a "new system" feature, since just allowing IN & OUT with a new firmware might not do the trick. Alternative would be as suggested in https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/two-mono-fx-loop-blocks.115116/ for the current unit:
Either have one stereo loop or two mono loops. But for the new unit, those separate stuff would be a no brainer for me - especially with some more EQ blocks which I can attach in front of every breakout to match different systems.

Off the top of my head I'd like to see more CPU and global amp/block support, and front panel buttons that replicates the AFX rack.

Back
Top Bottom