What I want to See AX8 II

When the AX8 was announced and it became clear that it wouldn't have a headphone jack, I was so mad at FAS that I almost didn't buy one.
Now I have to admit Cliff knows exactly what he's doing (as usual). Because even a small external headphone amp for under 100 bucks sounds so much better than any internal headphone out.

Sure, but for convenience and portability an onboard, dedicated, headphone jack is a no-brainer if there is ever an AX8II. Especially considering the number of people who wanted/expected one in the AX8.

Personally, it was a non-issue for me when I bought mine. But I admit that I would have used it if I had been included.

I don't like onboard expression pedals.

I also think it takes away flexibility: there's a lot of expression pedal types with different size, feeling, walk, etc... so it's better to choose what do you prefer.

I agree 100%. I never want FAS to add an onboard expression pedal.

Mechanically, I've had several expression pedals fail. I don't want one built in.

My AX8 II?

- More CPU!
- Make the screen bigger. Doesn't have to be color or higher resolution--just bigger.
- Better button layout.
- Scribble strips with configurable backlight colors would rock!

A huge 'NO' to built-in expression pedal(s). Previous commenters have covered the reasons very well.

I'd like an AX9 equipped with a "Don't Suck" button for my leads. O, and a knob that makes me breath while playing.

:eek:You and me both!

Scribble Strips sound cool, but unless you've got eyes like an eagle, or are kneeling in front of the pedalboard, I don't find them very useful because I just can't see what the small print says.

I use a 2" wide roll of glow-in-the-dark tape and label each switch on my MFC with a fat Sharpie marker. Its customizable, its low cost, and I can easily see what switch is labeled for which feature, and, its rugged.

When I'm playing, I'm not trying to do a bunch of reading, nor am I wanting to step carefully around fragile expensive parts.

Likewise when I'm editing, doesn't matter how big the screen on a unit is, I prefer my 27" monitor and my mouse, using Axe-Edit. Just a more practical tool that sitting there on the ground starring down at a controler, not matter how nice of screen.

Well Winter NAMM 2017 and here is what I want to see coming from Fractal Audio.. The AX8-II..

1Features:

1) Layout. Similar to the Helix and Head Rush Pedal board

2) Same CPU strength as the AXe FX II

3) Color LED layout

4) On -board audio interface

5) (2) Mic Pres

6) Dual Onboard Expression Pedals
What he said :D

Scribble Strips sound cool, but unless you've got eyes like an eagle, or are kneeling in front of the pedalboard, I don't find them very useful because I just can't see what the small print says.

I use a 2" wide roll of glow-in-the-dark tape and label each switch on my MFC with a fat Sharpie marker. Its customizable, its low cost, and I can easily see what switch is labeled for which feature, and, its rugged.

When I'm playing, I'm not trying to do a bunch of reading, nor am I wanting to step carefully around fragile expensive parts.

Likewise when I'm editing, doesn't matter how big the screen on a unit is, I prefer my 27" monitor and my mouse, using Axe-Edit. Just a more practical tool that sitting there on the ground starring down at a controler, not matter how nice of screen.
My eyes are bad -- I use a 42 inch screen :D

Probably easier to implement a blame shifter that makes the other guitarists look bad when my playing sucks. :cool: Would need to permanently turn it on.
Actually, I have mastered the bad note recovery technique. When I am playing with another guitarist, if I really step in it, I quickly grimace and shoot a frowning look at the other guitarist. It is the musical equivalent of cutting a really nasty fart and then asking, "Did you do that"?

Actually, I have mastered the bad note recovery technique. When I am playing with another guitarist, if I really step in it, I quickly grimace and shoot a frowning look at the other guitarist. It is the musical equivalent of cutting a really nasty fart and then asking, "Did you do that"?
:Do_O Ha that's great

Sounds like many people want something different? What I mean is, the AX8 is what it is , at a cost that brought many, many new users to fractal. That was the idea....a cost efective fractal option....The things listed here, well start adding up the cost.
Yes, another "floorboard" axeFX with many of the features mentioned here would and will be cool. But it's another device -Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Well, I want a AXE 8 I/2. I want less. Just amp models and verb. The basic knobs. Maybe no editing or screen, just use USB and computer deeper tweaking and setting foot switches. 2-3 foot switches, X/Y for different amps. I like my floor stompboxes and have not had the time to attempt editing to get what I want, what ever that is. Just about how I use it now. Setting on Matrix power amp/on cab with pedals out on floor. I walk up to change amps. Pretty primitive.

Look at the Amplifire for an example of what they started with, and now going both up and down.

I could see both an AX8 XL, and an AX4 (or something like that).

I'm overall very happy with the AX8 but I would love to see one very practical improvement. Please, have 2 main outputs instead of Out 2 sharing with FX loop. I use an external FX loop with a couple Strymon pedals that give me a few things I can't quite get on the AX8 and save me considerable CPU on the reverbs and delays. Problem is with the FX loop being used for external FX I can't run Out 1 TRS to onstage amp and cabs (with cab emulation off) and also send Out 1 XLR to FOH with cabs emulation on because Out 1 can only be set to one or the other. By having another Out 2 with its own independent output settings AND a separate FX Loop this would be solved. As it is now if you want to run to FOH with cabs ON and also to cabs for stage monitors with cabs OFF you must either give up the external pedals FX loop or run FRFR for monitors.

First of all I hope they will keep the same form factor as the current version. And then to the wish list:

Assign looper functions to footswitches outside of "Looper Control Mode"
Looper functions (like Looper Record, Looper Play, etc) should be available as footswitch blocks. This would be a major improvement for those of us who use the Looper in a live situation. This could actually be solved by simply adding internal Midi CC routing.

Make function switches completely customizable
The function switches are limited to a specific set of functions in the current version. If you don't want/need those functions, the switches are basically useless. It should be possible to 'convert' a function footswitch into becoming a normal footswitch. At least F2 and F3 should have that possibility so you could have access to 10 stomps or whatever you need.

Side-chain gating
...or something else that would automatically trigger once Looper playback starts. The use-case here is simple: a) Record a loop with a rhythm guitar sound, b) change to a lead guitar sound when playback starts. A side-chain gate connected to the Looper's playback output could for instance open a delay and/or boost somewhere else in the signal chain.

More CPU power to allow gapless amp switching

Ideally, I would like the AX8 to be able to handle at least three amp models in an XYZ amp block with gapless switching between them. This would simulate a three-channel amp in the real world.

...and some nice-to-haves:
  • Separate output 2 and fx loop
  • 7-pin MIDI-connectors (to power external MIDI controllers)

The first three items on my wishlist I suspect could be fixed with a firmware update on the current hardware, while the rest would be hardware changes.

My ideal layout of footswitches would then be something like this:
Lower row:
FS1 - Looper Record
FS2 - Looper Play (+alternatively switch scene to a lead sound)
FS3 - Scene 1 (with amp X)
FS4 - Scene 2 (with amp Y)
F3 - Scene 3 (with amp Z) this would be my "main" sound
Upper row:
FS5 - Looper Once
FS6-8: Patches/stomps, whatever I need
F2 - Stomp (possibly delay or boost)

F1 - Whatever (tuner, maybe)

Back
Top Bottom