What I want to See AX8 II

jjdpro

Inspired
Well Winter NAMM 2017 and here is what I want to see coming from Fractal Audio.. The AX8-II..

1Features:

1) Layout. Similar to the Helix and Head Rush Pedal board

2) Same CPU strength as the AXe FX II

3) Color LED layout

4) On -board audio interface

5) (2) Mic Pres

6) Dual Onboard Expression Pedals

Well Winter NAMM 2017 and here is what I want to see coming from Fractal Audio.. The AX8-II..

1Features:

1) Layout. Similar to the Helix and Head Rush Pedal board

2) Same CPU strength as the AXe FX II

3) Color LED layout

4) On -board audio interface

5) (2) Mic Pres

6) Dual Onboard Expression Pedals

1) Ain't gonna happen, IMO
2) Ain't gonna happen, IMO
3) Ain't gonna happen soon
4) Nope, no need for one live
5) Nope
6) Too cumbersome, never gonna happen IMO.

I would go for

1) bigger color screen - preferably with touch functionality.
2) Scribble strips
3) More IA buttons, perhaps AX10/AX12?
4) Dual mono FX loop
4a) More FX loops
5) SPDIF in
6) More processing power is always good
7) A single mic pre might actually be kinda cool. I could control a bit of FX when I sing, and it would also make it easier to put a mic on my acoustic and process it through AX8.

I don't care for
On-board expression pedals - I really REALLY want to decide on the number and form of expression pedals myself
USB interface - I already have a good one, the one built into AxeFX/Helix is way too limited in its options

The only thing I would like to see with all the units not just the AX8 is Bluetooth for editing purposes and even that does not bother me that much. But it would be cool to drop a laptop/iPad what ever on a music stand and edit away.

As for the rest of the stuff (personally) I don't care about the units display: I do dam close to all the editing on Axe Edit / AX8 Edit. Color screen, touch screen isn't that going to burden the processor a little more? I don't know the impact if any. This thing is geared for sound and I don't want anything in there that might compromise that. Call it my paranoia. I think basically (in my case) the way I look at the display is for reference and not for any editing.

As for same power as the Axe Fx going to increase the size I think the units form factor is great as is.
Don't forget the AX8 is meant to be a very portable solution or a live solution. Or you can just Duel Lock a MFC to the top of a Axe Fx to hold you over for now. (Scartisic! But meant to be funny, not insulting to anyone)

Before all of these suggested modifications including my own with the Bluetooth I would like to see gapless presets and the cab block to have all the features of the Axe Fx II.

Last edited:
  1. free signal routing (mono, stereo, both)
  2. more outputs
  3. seemless switching (would end the XY vs scene vs preset discussion)
  4. bigger color touch screen (the current usability is ... well ... there's room for improvement)
  5. freely programmable scribble strips
  6. freely assignable buttons and rotary encoders (with scribble strips, of course)
  7. full MIDI support (even my GT8 could generate MIDI CC messages from the internal and external pedal)
  8. USB-A socket to read samples from a flash drive (like the Boss GR55)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure we'd see a separate control board with scribble etc etc for the Axe II before we see
these functions integrated into the ax8. In my mind the rack will always be the "premium line"
and people that needs all the bells and whistles (ala Helix) at their feet, will buy into that separate board.

Cliff has talked about bigger color displays. Tone and Audio quality are always the king here. I have no interest in a touch screen. I would hate to have to send back my unit for touch screen trouble. I also don't want to spend more money for a display. Scribble strips have been around for a while. Cliff left it off on purpose. I don't see that being added. It will also never be as powerful as the big brother. They won't cut off their nose to spite their face why would people keep thinking that is a viable idea

Well, even FAS has to move forward. I understand there are customers that don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles so maybe the answer would be to have a product between the AX8 and the AxeFX.

Big screen wanters never used an MFC-101 with an Axe Fx before I guess?

Who uses the main screen of the axe or ax8 while we have such a great tool as AXE Edit anyway?

This topic is basically, I WANT AN AXE FX but i don't know that yet thread.

Big screen wanters never used an MFC-101 with an Axe Fx before I guess?

Who uses the main screen of the axe or ax8 while we have such a great tool as AXE Edit anyway?

This topic is basically, I WANT AN AXE FX but i don't know that yet thread.

Well, stuff the AxeFX/MFC together into a single floor board and I would agree.

If I were going to change anything for a next gen AX8 if would have to be 1, The physical interface layout, after all this time it's still a little cumbersome to navigate granted I don't use it that much so maybe thats why o_O.

A larger display would be nice but not a must. The rest of it works fine for what it's designed to be and do, a powerful floor board for the live player that needs a small foot print at a great price!

I think FAS likes to innovate not duplicate. If people want color displays, touch screens and scribble strips the Helix is available, personally I will stick with the tones from the FAS algos.

I suppose all the people not wanting touch/color screens are still using phones with monochrome screens with buttons only. Color touch screen is such an unbelievable UI enhancement with no technical drawbacks. I am not even sure, it is more expensive anymore.

People complain that, it is hard to see the preset names, and we only have non customisable three letter acronyms as indicator of what pedals do. People use kick tags and other third party products to circumvent these UI shortcomings. That shouldn't be necessary.

I love the processing power, the sounds and the flexibility, but I really find the unit limited when it comes to a quick and effective overview in live situations, and tweaking on the unit feels very eighties to be honest

A Windows or Android 7" tablet is ~$50. One of those running FracPad, done. That also includes BT access and Wi-Fi

Back
Top Bottom