What headphones are you guys using (or recommend)?

Fleece

Hi all! Proud new Axe FX XL+ owner here!

I recently made the mistake of trying cordless headphones (Sennheiser's latest RS 185), and I should have seen this coming, but there's just enough of a delay to make them useless, so I'll be returning them.

And since I'll have store credit coming to me, I thought perhaps I might upgrade my corded headphones (Sennheiser HD-598). The 598s are no slouch, but given how often I use headphones, I thought it may be worth considering my options.

I'm curious what others are using or might recommend in the $200-400 range? Thanks!

I like my BeyerD DT770 Pro's (256 ohms) Sound great but also are the most comfortable headphones I have ever had-

Beyer DT880s are what I use because I prefer open-backed cans. I'd consider the Blue Mo-Fi if I was looking for closed headphones.

Thanks for everyone's replies thus far. I'd really been leaning toward the Sennheiser 650's, but I'm going to check out these Blu MoFi's too...I hadn't heard of them before.

The Beyer 880 600 ohm are awesome, and I do prefer their sound with a good preamp.

But really, the Blue Mofi combined with the FW advancements, really work for me. I'm very pleased. No headphones will translate perfectly to the sound from monitors (studio or floor), but I have a decent idea of how to compensate.

I have an Ultra that don't have headphones out, I send the balanced outs of the ultra to the RCA Aux in of an Aiwa MX-D91M hi-fi amplifier from the 90's and put in the headphones out a Pioneer SE-2 from the 80's.
I found this Pioneer cans in a pawn shop for 3 euros, despite de price sounds gorgeus!
The Aiwa amp have a nice plus: a spectrum analizer that allows to see the gain of the 7 main bands.
The cable betwen the Axe and the Aiwa amp is a dual cable for preserve the stereo benefits: 2xXLR female in one side and 2xRCA male in the other.
cab705.jpg rzadki-model-wieza-aiwa-mx-d91m-pilot-film-3-3487315263.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:
Beyer DT770 Pros here again. Really nice closed back and comfy. Although I might add a tiny, tiny little too much bass, however you can compensate when building patches for live use.
I am considering the 880 which are more flat. Or maybe even the Blue MoFis.

Last edited:
I got the recommendation for the Blue Mofi from this forum. I'm pleased with my purchase. I have used them daily for a year so I had to reinforce an end of the cable with some electrical tape, and if I handle them recklessly the cover of the ear pads wants to get loose, so I'm keeping an eye on that.
Blue also just came up with a new model based on the MoFi, called LoLa, without the built in amp, which I think could work nice with a Fractal unit, as I find the MoFis easy to drive without usng the amp.

I don't think you should do mixing with headphones- or dial anything in with them...
So... then the only purpose is to not get what you're hearing into what you're recording- or so you can hear it better/closer

And I don't do my own mixing/mastering

SO- meaning- to me the only thing that matters in headphones is COMFORT I don't care how they sound...

The headphones I can wear for 8 hours without being bothered- and I've tried them all
Bose AE2
$100-150 sound good enough and more comfortable than my titanium rimless glasses

I got the recommendation for the Blue Mofi from this forum. I'm pleased with my purchase. I have used them daily for a year so I had to reinforce an end of the cable with some electrical tape, and if I handle them recklessly the cover of the ear pads wants to get loose, so I'm keeping an eye on that.
Blue also just came up with a new model based on the MoFi, called LoLa, without the built in amp, which I think could work nice with a Fractal unit, as I find the MoFis easy to drive without usng the amp.

Interesting feedback, thanks for posting that! Always good to hear how these cans are holding up after some decent mileage has been put into them. I wonder if the LoLas will be flatter than the MoFis?

I bought my Sennheiser HD600s used in 1999 or 2000. Still going strong, just changed the cushions in earcups and headband once.

Blu MoFi, I've had them for nearly a year and they've been awesome. I've not used the built in amp at all, so the Lola might be a good option for those using professional grade audio gear. The amp is supposed to help with consumer level electronics, but I don't listen to my iphone with the MoFis.

I have a pair of Mofi's that I love for listening to music at work (great isolation and the preamp comes in handy with my tablet), but for the AxeFXII I always end up using my old (like 12 years old) Sennheiser HD-25-1's. I don't know if it's a comfort zone or what, but they are just perfect to me. One great thing about them is that they are modular so any part that breaks I can replace; i.e., I'm on like my third set of pads. They get used daily and have never let me down.

I've got a set of Sony MDR-7506 phones here. Not sure how they stack up against the others, but I like them. They are fairly inexpensive and sound decent.

Back
Top Bottom