What Have You Fellows Been Listening To Lately?

I looked into Creed. Good musicians, but the vocals are a bit odd for me. I like his solo stuff quite a bit though. The The Aristocrats are pure gold! I will check out The Small Faces after work.

I stumbled onto this 'band' recently called Big Hat while using Spotify. They are incredible musicians but they only have 4 songs so far (on an EP). All four songs are amazing and they made my ears perk up almost instantly. If you like Allman Brothers, Black Crowes and The Band, it's kind of like all those rolled into one band. Great stuff.

Turns out the reason they only did 4 songs is because most of them are too busy at their other gigs to make any more Big Hat music. Several are out touring in Sheryl Crow's band. All seasoned pros.

Big Hat

Still listening to Duane Allman-Dead and gone but what a guitar player-He actually worked with Ry Cooder- letting Ry Cooder learn from him and he from Ry Cooder (ry Cooder played the electric and acoustic slide guitars in the movie crossroads- among many other famous movies with Delta blues or electric and acoustic guitars)-except of course what VAi played in Crossroads movie.

Ry Cooder and Duane Allman -Best slide guitars player IMHO-like ever.

Went to a 4-day festival this weekend. Impressed by a lot of bands. Hands down winner was Fink. Voice like Bruce Springsteen, great build-up in every song, rifs and lots of delay on an acoustic, surprising melodies and arrangements.

Other nice ones: The War On Drugs, Kasabian, Royal Blood, Lonely the Brave, Florence and the Machine.

The two "Twisted Blues" volumes are really good by Oz Noy. It's got some fusion mixed into the blues but not in a "look what I can do!" way, and no hint of a 90's used car commercial influence. I don't hate fusion music personally, just 99.8% of it.

Other than that, Little Dragon has been on repeat. I know I'm late to that party and all the cool kids are sick of them already, but when I heard "Twice" and "Constant Surprises" I swallowed the hook.

Royal Blood is amazing too! glad Yek mentioned them, cuz I forgot

Karnivool. Amazing band that I only came upon last year.

Opeth. Ghost Reveries and Heritage albums.

Tremonti. Love his playing.

I stumbled onto this 'band' recently called Big Hat while using Spotify.

Say what you will about streaming services such as Spotify, they've really put the power back in the hands of the listener. Back in the 60s-70s radio DJs would often play what they liked, and if they were in tune with new music, they'd give up and coming new bands lots of exposure. Then, the 90s happened and Clear Channel wound up buying the radio stations and making them adhere to corporate-approved playlists. That's why you wound up with stations playing the same AC/DC songs over and over. Not to mention the 80s, when MTV became a gatekeeper. Anyone here remember sitting through three hours of hairspray rock videos on Headbangers Ball to see that one video from Testament or Exodus?

There are issues with payments to musicians. I feel musicians should be compensated for their work. That's why I strive to see musicians I like on tour and to buy their albums. But as a music fan, I like life without the gatekeepers. I don't need them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom