What Have You Fellows Been Listening To Lately?

Here is a video of me doing Comfortably numb solo, I did not try to capture Gilmours sound just used my normal preset made a few mistakes to but always fun to jam Gilmour.

I really like The Endless River. Is it up there with Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals or The Wall? Not in my opinion, but I'm very happy with it all the same. Maybe it doesn't hit the highs of those albums, but I'm glad it was released to us rather than languishing in a vault.

Of course, Gilmour's tones are to die for. I'm a bit of a Gilmour fanatic. He's influenced me to really work on my vibrato and develop it as a technique of expression.

Last edited:
Here is a video of me doing Comfortably numb solo, I did not try to capture Gilmours sound just used my normal preset made a few mistakes to but always fun to jam Gilmour.

Hey, you really did own that solo! Thanks for sharing!

Gilmour is one of the reasons why I still have a real pedalboard in addition to the AxeFx II, even though I could easily ditch it all and go Axe for everything. I really just have to have a real Electric Mistress and Phase 90. I have chronic GAS and I'm afraid it's incurable. There's something about trying out new pedals that brings out the kid in me!

Hey Anthony

Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands - grew up listening to them-They had some of the greatest guitar solos ever-, by studio musicians like Kid Charlemagne - Larry Carlton-Killer solo. So many great guitar players played with them

2 of the best musicians of any time period- Fagin and Becker.

Also, I am probably one of the few Here that listen to Jeff Golub-google it-Killer Guitar player-mainly Jazz oriented, but he also was Rod Stewarts touring lead guitarists for years - he can play anything.

Hey Anthony

Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands - grew up listening to them-They had some of the greatest guitar solos ever-, by studio musicians like Kid Charlemagne - Larry Carlton-Killer solo. So many great guitar players played with them

2 of the best musicians of any time period- Fagin and Becker.

Also, I am probably one of the few Here that listen to Jeff Golub-google it-Killer Guitar player-mainly Jazz oriented, but he also was Rod Stewarts touring lead guitarists for years - he can play anything.

Damn, that guy is incredible!

I bought a pair of Presonus Scepter S8s recently, and they are so detailed that I have been picking up tons of new things in songs I've known for a long time. .
Me, too (acquired S8s recently). Amazing amount of detail. Can hardly believe what I'm hearing, particularly the sense of space and place on some bootlegs I've recently acquired.

Snarky Puppy...I know this is not just Guitar music, but these guys are amazing! YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc Also Umphrey's McGee...simply great jam band: YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU64sC_Vnm8

I heard 2 songs of Snarky Puppy live at the New Orleans Jazz Fest a couple of months ago, then they shut down the music because of lightning. Damn. They were on the way to being my favorite new young band. Great fun, musicianship and wide influences. Heard a few sets of Umphrey's McGee at the Lockn Festival last Sept. Holy crap. What a band. I thought they were more of a jam band because they get grouped in with them, but they were more of a prog rock band like King Crimson meets Zappa meets Yes and some heavier stuff I wouldn't know the antecedent of. I couldn't listen to them all the time, but they blew my mind live.

Heard Lionel Loueke - amazing jazz/African guitarist, with Chris Potter, Dave Holland and Eric Harland live last night. Total jazz super group. Absolutely astounding music. Nobody plays like Loueke and and the rest of them are top of the world musicians.

Heard Bill Frisell last week, probably my fav guitarist. Always keeping him in the rotation. For a fun new funk band with elements of Talking Heads, African music and even Peter Gabriel, Turkuaz is a super fun newish band from Brooklyn.

Toto and The Dead, two great bands I'd forgotten all about! Never heard of Mark Tremonti before, I'll look him up once work is done.

Tonight we're streaming the Fare Thee Well show happening a few miles away from us at Levi's Stadium! :D
Wondered if you were going. I decided to pass up tix but going to see the stream tonight in SLC.

As far as what I've been listening to... Yes (even before today's news), Phish, Booker T, and the Funky Meters have been on rotation this week.

Wondered if you were going. I decided to pass up tix but going to see the stream tonight in SLC.
Tried, but didn't get tickets and aftermarket (is that what we're calling scalped tickets now?) was way more than I could afford.

It's cool though. Streaming is hella awesome these days. On the stereo and the big TV, blaring. And a couch to sit my arse down on when the kids get tired of my hippy dancing.

+1 on the Mark Tremonti stuff... I've recently been listening to some Creed and it never ceases to amaze me how good a guitarist he is.

Tried, but didn't get tickets and aftermarket (is that what we're calling scalped tickets now?) was way more than I could afford.

It's cool though. Streaming is hella awesome these days. On the stereo and the big TV, blaring. And a couch to sit my arse down on when the kids get tired of my hippy dancing.
LOL. I had a buddy call from Portland and offer us tix a few weeks ago... Hard decision but we're glad we passed (well, until we saw the setlist this morning... ;-) My wife won't watch streaming at home, just doesn't have the energy of being at a concert for her. Tonight w/ about 300 people will be great though!

Back
Top Bottom