What Happens To My Presets When I Update Firmware?

Birdy

Inspired
My XL+ is on the latest Q8 version.
Does something happens to my presets/settings/blocks when I update to Q9?
Or do I just update and keep playing like nothing happened?

Thanks!

Hi Birdy
Sometimes firmware updates do have an effect on existing presets because the modelling changes a little with some improvements. From 8 to 9.04 is not a significant jump, but may be enough to change a bit (there were reports of some people staying with 8.02 for a little while) . It's very easy to go back to earlier versions just make sure you backup all your presets before updating.
Thanks
Pauly

The tone of the amp block changes from firmware to firmware, so the amp settings you've set on one firmware, may not sound great on the other.
Also, the way some knobs work, or their defaults change, so it's always a good idea to reset the amp block and set it from there to best experience the upgrade of the amp block.

Hi Birdy
Sometimes firmware updates do have an effect on existing presets because the modelling changes a little with some improvements. From 8 to 9.04 is not a significant jump, but may be enough to change a bit (there were reports of some people staying with 8.02 for a little while) . It's very easy to go back to earlier versions just make sure you backup all your presets before updating.
Thanks
Pauly

The tone of the amp block changes from firmware to firmware, so the amp settings you've set on one firmware, may not sound great on the other.
Also, the way some knobs work, or their defaults change, so it's always a good idea to reset the amp block and set it from there to best experience the upgrade of the amp block.

Thanks for the quick response!
I'm on the latest Q8 (can't remember the exact number now), and as far as I know the only difference I'll have in Q9 is the speaker drive instead of the other 2 knobs.
Can't remember their name but I know that I set them to 0 and don't use them in any of my presets.
So my tone shouldn't change at all, right?

It’s not just the settings of parameters that determine if the sound changes after updating firmware. When underlying (hidden) algorithms are changed, the sound can change too.

Ok so I've read all of the Q9 release notes and there might be a slight change in tone, hopefully for the best.
But other than the tone, everything should work the same, right?

Ok so I've read all of the Q9 release notes and there might be a slight change in tone, hopefully for the best.
But other than the tone, everything should work the same, right?
Do a full backup using the Receive Tab in Fractal-Bot. It will take around 30 minutes I think, but it’s the only way to go back if you need to.

Do a full backup using the Receive Tab in Fractal-Bot. It will take around 30 minutes I think, but it’s the only way to go back if you need to.
Yea of course I'll do that :)
Just wanted to know what happens anyway.

Not to thread jack or anything but Chris does the FULL backup include the firmware as well or does that need to be loaded separately? I always wondered that and I'm sure it's good for others to know as well

Not to thread jack or anything but Chris does the FULL backup include the firmware as well or does that need to be loaded separately? I always wondered that and I'm sure it's good for others to know as well

The "full backup" saves the components, you can see in the list of the Fractal-Bot receive-tab.
The firmware cannot be saved by backup!

The "full backup" saves the components, you can see in the list of the Fractal-Bot receive-tab.
The firmware cannot be saved by backup!
Ok that's what I was thinking. So a rollback would mean I have to do a factory reset, followed by installing said firmware, and then of course reloading the saved backup correct?

Ok that's what I was thinking. So a rollback would mean I have to do a factory reset, followed by installing said firmware, and then of course reloading the saved backup correct?
Hi;
A factory reset isn't necessary.
As Severed said, it's a complete new installing (into the Boot-ROM) of the firmware you want to use.
The firmware itself doesn't change while using the AxeFx.
The parameters which can be changed (systems parameter, user cabs, presets ...)
are stored in separate memory regions/chips and can be backed up by Fractal-Bot.
When you're going to an older firmware version, you nomally have to reload the backups
of the presets and the system parameters.
That's why very often there are differences in parameters, their names, function or something else,
which has changed from older to newer firmwares.
When loading a newer firmware, you don't have to load the backups.
System parameters change automaticly to the newer version.
And when you load a preset for the first time after an update, most of the time,
the blocks (amp, cab, effects...) even will be updated automaticly.
New parameters will get default values and even it may be necessary, that you have to adjust
older existing parameters, 'cause their range, function or default values could have been changed.
FAS will let you know in the release notes, when you have to reload a block in your preset/s.
For instance most of the time the amp block is the one.
That will be done by selecting another model of the block type and reselecting the original model,
you have originally used.
I.e.:
Fender 65 Bassguy is your choice
Select another one (from another manufacterer!) i.e. Marshall xxxx
Reselect the Fender amp and it's done

Modeling algorithm will be automaticly changed when updating the firmware.
There is no need to do anything.

Kind regards from germany
Mike

Back
Top Bottom