What happens if I use a Humbuster as a guitar cable?

Old foggy brain here… But I think the fractal instrument cable (I own two), are Humbusters with different colored ends (blue-AxeFX, black-guitar).

At least that’s what I thought for the last seven or eight years. Could be terribly wrong though LOL

I’m sure a quick check at the FAS store would give you the details

I believe it will work, but using an instrument cable is preferred. Give it a try, see what the difference is. 😀

I bought a bunch of BTPA guitar cables and more humbusters than I need. I can only find two of the guitar cables and I need 4. Just thought I'd ask.

From the FAS store on Humbuster instrument cables:

“When used with the specially designed Humbuster audio outputs of Fractal Audio Systems products, Humbuster cables reduce the hum caused by ground loops. Use a Humbuster Cable whenever possible between the 1/4" outputs of your Axe-Fx II or FX8 and devices like preamps, power amps, guitar amplifiers, etc.

These high quality cables have a nice flexible feel, with endplugs heat-shrinked for maximum durability. The heatshrink is color-coded, so you can easily find the black end to connect to the Humbuster output of your Fractal product and the blue end for your amp or other device.

Available in 15 ft. and 30 ft. lengths (please select before adding to your cart).”

Seems like I may have been doing it wrong… Doesn’t seem to cause any issues though.

If your guitar has active pickups and uses a TRS jack as its main power "switch", connecting the TRS end of a humbuster cable to the guitar would cause the current from your guitar's battery to go all the way to the far end of the humbuster cable via the ring conductor and back on the outer shield, so it would be like adding an extra 30 feet of wire (or twice the length of your humbuster cable) into your guitar's power circuit. Adding all that extra wire outside the guitar could possibly lead to added noise, but the easy solution to that is to just use the TS end at the guitar so the power circuit is closed at the guitar's output jack as intended.

Regular instrument cables only need the Tip and Sleeve connections, both of which are preset on humbuster cables, so it would likely work fine otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom