What guitars used?

King Tone

Inspired
I am just curious what guitars are used when tweaking the presets/models/etc in the axe fx? It might give some insight into the gain/tone settings. In other words if Cliff used a les paul with emg pickups and I use a tele then the tweaks are worlds apart. I remember hearing that a certain mesa cab was used pretty often…just wondering…please discuss

He probably used the first guitar he find to do them or many over time...
But seriously, with all the flexibility the axe do anybody use factory presets?
If you do, you miss something

Uh yes-,many of use the factory presets-were you serious? If you do NOT run thru the factory presets then you are missing something.

Big time

Many many many people use the factory presets, and then chuck in the odd tweak. It's still almost always what I do, so I get a nice template with some reverb already dialed in.

The presets are part of the experience for sure. Even if you dont build a tone from them just seeing how they are built.
I would be interested to know the answer to the op's question also. It is a good one

I almost never end up using the factory presets, but I find it a very valuable exercise to run through them from time to time to remind me of the infinite variety of tones available. It definitely encourages my creativity and a lot of times prompts me to write different kinds of riffs than I would write if I were just jamming on patches that I had crafted.

no offense to anybody here but I just can over the idea of using factory preset, I can go so far with multiple dual amp and cabs and I do know what I want tone wise.

to get back to the original questions seriously it dosent matters.
even if cliff tweak with a 59 LP, chances are you don't have that guitar. and amps responde so we'll to playing and differente guitars that even if you had that guitar in your and you won't sound the same.

I always make my own but I thought it would be interesting to hear what Cliff used/uses. I understand the comments but everything does make a difference. I would be interested to hear what kind of plan goes into this stuff. If it were me I would use a whole bunch of guitars on each setting to round out the tweaks.

Many of them seem to favor my Strat (single coils) over my Les Paul (Duncan JB/Jazz set). I usually prefer to roll my own presets from scratch, but the factory presets can be a good source of effects settings. You can copy over the desired blocks to new presets using Axe Edit or the front panel. Still fun to scroll through to fart around with different sounds though. Some of the effects heavy ones are just crazy and hilarious (Poltergeist Pig anyone :lol )

This has no negative intent towards the presets there, I use my musicman Steve Morse for varied tonal bliss and I don't usually use the presets unless I'm tweaking. But that's just me n how I started doing it a while ago.

I have no idea what guitars FAS uses, but it really does not matter to me. My favorite guitars at the moment are a Suhr Modern (for the humbucker thing) and a Suhr Classic loaded with ML pickups. I loaded a bank of presets I constructed into bank 1 for the Modern, and also loaded a bank of presets into bank 2 for the Classic. Some of the presets are built from scratch and some are factory presets that I used for a starting platform and then tweaked, re-tweaked, re-re-tweaked... you know what I mean. I use a lot of the same amps for both guitars, but tweaked the presets for each.

In fact, I no longer practice, now I fractice. Playing and tweaking the Fractal simultaneously. I don't plactal though, because it sounds too painful. I do occasionally pleak.

Back
Top Bottom