What guitar amplification would you use live? (Metal music)

What monitoring would you use live?

• Axe FX > Guitar Amp (Ins in) > Guitar Cab (Axe FX used only for pre FX)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, I'm not a metal player (anymore), but I used to be. I have been exclusive with CLR's with my AXE, so my answer might lack the experience you need, so take it as such.

I would typically say use active FRFR, and just set them up like a back line. (like 2 CLR's stacked like a 2x12, maybe on top of a rack or something to get them up in the air a bit (poles or stands work, but look "unmetal" to me.)

But, for serious ass-whopping metal in a small venue where stage volume and "feel" matter, I think I'd go with a Matrix (or similar) and a 4x12 behind me if I got to choose. The size and projection of a real cab can't be beat, especially in close quarters like that. FRFR is totally accurate and the tone is "perfect", but for live "kick your ass" sound, I'd opt for the thump of a 4x12 that a FRFR won't really give you.

FWIW, I saw where one FRFR company in a very recent thread is custom building FRFR 4x12s. Now THAT might be the ultimate solution for this situaiton. I'll see if I can find that thread.

Last edited:
By the way, did you try editing the "Speaker" page in the amp block?
The Axe has no way of knowing what Cab is connected to the Amp, so the amp can't react to the load naturally. You have to set this up manually.

I have to an extent, but I believe this is only eq, you might end up getting a tiny bit better after becoming a nerd and loosing all inspiration to another eq graphic, maybe, but it wouldn't make dynamics better.
That said, if you use a lot of distortion you might not care as much. I was always the type of guitarist to play metal with not too much distortion personally and touch and dynamics and grain matter to me, but not to everyone.
Hey, if a matrix makes u happy, all good. Now at least you know that not every one is. Explore your options there too and try as many things as you can. Best of luck! ;)

Quote from the wiki:
"The speaker tab is not an EQ. It allows you to adjust the impedance that the virtual speaker presents to the virtual power tubes. In most cases the resulting EQ is quite different than the impedance curve since negative feedback flattens the response. If you turn the damping all the way down then the EQ will be close to the impedance curve (but still influenced by the transformer)."

And I am not only talking just about the curve. The Xformer settings is what heavily influences dynamics...

But still. Cheers mate. I am currently leaning towards getting a matrix and a cab, so if I'll get it I'll see how much I can agree with you :)

My setup is Axe Fx -> Matrix power amp -> Mesa 2x12 Vertical Cab. I've used this for the last two years and have never been happier with my sound. For the two years prior to that I used Axe Fx -> QSC K12 and over time grew to hate that sound with a vengeance. For metal at least I cannot stand the sound of FRFR speakers. It lacks the punch that my Mesa cab gives me as well as just has frequencies that I don't want to listen to.

I'm sure the right amount of EQ can fix anything but I really don't want to do that. My goal was to find a solution that quickly gets me a great sound. All I need to do now is fire up the Amp block, pick a great Amp model and rock out! Some of my goto models with this combo are all the Mesa amps, Carol Ann Triptik Modern, EVH 5153 Blue/Red, Diezel VH4 Channel III and several others that I can't think of now.

I was using a Mosvalve 500 before, harsh and lifeless compared to the Engl. I decided to try a tube power amp since I got a good deal on the Engl, glad I did. I haven't tried a matrix yet. The new quantum firmware sounds great direct and through headphones, too.

I understand when people say the mesa 290 is colored. It certainly changes the breakup of the amp you are playing through. You just can't get that Marshall plexi sound or you won't end up sounding like an ac30. The cleans are very pristine as you will go deaf long before you drive the power amp to natural breakup.

The high gains are immense and in my opinion, very flexible. You still get a very different sound with different amps. I was playing live with a guy the other day who owns a 6505+. I was using fas modern, but for kicks I went over to the 6505 model and within a few adjustments you could hardly tell it wasn't the same amp. The only difference you could tell for certain was down to different guitars, cabs, players, etc.

It may be a colored power amp, but hot damn is it a wonderful color. And if you like the way it sounds there's still quite a bit of tonal flexibility.

Not even sure there should be a debate.

If the audience isnt hearing - or isnt used to hearing the guitar through a PA - then you shouldn't be using FRFR to provide the guitar sound for them. I know if I was in a small venue id be wanting to hear the raw instruments - no a FRFR/recording/large stare show type sound.

The venues I play are just as described - and I use my Matrix + 2x12 guitar cab. Ive spoken to a few other guitarist friends and lots of people I know who attend our gigs - and other bands. Pretty much all said they wanted to hear the real cab sound - even those who didnt know what FRFR was - when I explain its like a recording or like you'd hear through the PA at large shows, they all go for Amp. Some said that if a band used a PA type sound - they wouldnt go back and see that band as they come to small venues for the full on un'mic'd raw band vibe.

Of course many punters wouldnt care so ????????

If you are playing much of a crowd playing metal, I don't think the crowd will hear much of any kinda amp or speaker you have as a monitor(unless it is massive). so I guess you need to ask what kinda pa system is everyone plugging into. I myself go with what ever the floor wedges are.

OP stated no PA bar vocals...

Back
Top Bottom