What gig ready precautions do you take before going live?

Muzick

Experienced
Hey guys,

I've got a huge show coming up at a local festival in Colorado - The Dragon Boat Festival. We made a good impression last year so they are giving us our own slot - this Saturday @ 1PM!!

I wanted to start this thread to see what you veterans do to make sure you're gig ready: weighted more towards preparing your Axe FX, but any general tips are welcome as well.

I've played out enough to make sure I've got:

AXE II MFC 101 Checks:

• My patch levels are even
  • Check all pedals to ensure they don't raise or lower the volume (unless it's intended)
  • Test each patch in a pre-recorded mix to ensure it cuts through, just enough.
  • Bring an extra Ethernet cable (for MFC)

General Gig Checks:

• Bring extra strings and an extra guitar (if you can spare it)
  • Extra wireless receiver batteries
  • Extra guitar cable in case wireless fails
  • Pack up as early as possible and make sure you're not forgetting anything

Thanks any any other advice,
Brandon

Here's what is in my rescue kit :
Multimeter, soldering iron, spare jack/XLR plugs, XLR to Jack adapters, batteries (for wireless and IEM), spare guitar cable, strings, various screwdrivers / allen keys, condoms, towel, rag to wipe down guitars, flashlight, duct tape, fuses.

I always use a long cable to go from amp to wireless input so i can just pull out of wireless and plug in guitar... no shuffling.
Always have guitar backups, preferably one with no trem so i can tune accordingly.
Beer mug with ice water.
A few small hand towels.
Wash hands before playing.

Super Glue. Seriously. If you get a paper cut or something like that on a finger, it can be painful to play. Super Glue fixes that in seconds and even puts a little protective coat over top of it.

I like having a check list, which I use coming and going to ensure everything returns home as well.

As for gear, a spare everything.

I always setup my entire rig, vocal mic, etc. and use my rehearsal space PA to rundown the entire show and make sure the whole rig works at show volume and all the preset changes and expression pedals work.

Then break it down and pack just the kit for the show first and keep it separated from anything I don't use for the show.

I separately pack spares and one toolbox that contains all my adapters and tools.

I mark all my cases, cables and gear too. Usually there are folks that like to help tear down etc. after shows and its easy to direct them on stowing my gear because its all marked.

Nothing really mysterious in my kit though... q tips to clean my ears if I am using IEM's... bottled water... fresh shirt... sweat towel... sharpie pen and paper... small torch... gaffers tape... the usual :)

Richard

As well as having tools, flashlights, a complete set of extra cables, and a complete ready back up rig(i.e. Axe FX Ultra), I pack everything in the order I'll need to set up to minimize stupid mistakes and time. The order I use is control, signal, power, and instrument. I also pack all the show gear in one bag, and all the spares in another. I also practice setting up in order to get the relaxed set up times down to about 5 minutes, and I practice switching over to the back up as well.

Last edited:
hahaha. Yek gets all the ladies.

I didn't see any mention of ladies.

pow.gif

put fresh batteries in the guitars needing them
prewire as much as possible so connections can be made quickly once on stage
gas in the car
bottles of water for the show
picks (learned the hard way)
Monster Lo-carb about 30 minutes before 1st note
backup guitar(s)
extra strings
extra cables
extra batteries
iPhone (flashlight app)
remember to have a blast

before I go out to rehearse / gig / tour I lay everything out on the floor like a schematic waiting to be wired up
so I know I have:
guitars with straps attached and stands
guitar to vol pedal cable
vol pedal
vol to wah cable
wah
wah to Axe cable
Axe [in rack]
Axe to mixer cables
mixer
mixer to power amp cables
power amp [in rack]
power amp to cabs cables
plus the spare cables
mfc to Axe ethernet cable plus spare
power cables and spares
back of picks
tools / spare strings [4 packs] / back of picks
etc
toothbrush and emergency reserve sock
cucumber or other suitable front row intimidation device...
etc...

when everything is laid out and checked off it gets packed..

I didn't see any mention of ladies.

Ouch!

At the least, spare cord onstage and ready to just plug up, spare batteries, and (inviting a flaming or two) a power conditioner in your rig. I am playing two festival gigs this weekend and play them regularly through the summer. Bad wiring and/or dirty generator power are always a possibility on temporary performance stages, so I don't play without some protection. That's the closest to a condom I'll be using there!

Back
Top Bottom