What gets damaged if the MFC-101 is disconnected while connected to Axe-Fx II?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I know some people that are thinking about buying a used Axe-Fx II or MFC-101 but I know an easy mistake people could make would be too disconnect the Ethernet cable from the MFC-101 when it's still connected to the Axe-Fx II and powered on. I'm wondering what signs to look for to know if that has been done? Does it damage both units? If it happens, does the damage happen instantly or slowly get worse? How much does FAS charge for the repair? The only other issue I know of is to not buy an Axe-Fx II Mark I if planning to use it with the 4CM unless it has the Output 2 Hiss Mod.

Dont think it would damage anything... or I need another cup of Coffee before I understand your question properly...

Perhaps the issue of accidentally putting the USB cable into the MFC jack, on the back of the AxeFXII, and that damaging the port is the damage he has heard about? In this scenario, it is only the port on the AxeFXII that is damaged. If the MFC is plugged into the AxeFXII during a firmware upgrade, there are some that have had some issues, and if I'm not mistaken it is with the MFC. Someone can hopefully correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps in some small way.

Cheers,

Lee

Page 8, bottom of the page, MFC-101 Mk III manual:

"!IMPORTANT: Always make sure the Axe-Fx II is powered OFF before connecting/disconnecting the MFC-101. NEVER connect
the provided AC Adapter to the MFC-101 or to the Phantom Power jack of the Axe-Fx II while the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II are
connected via Ethernet/EtherCON. Doing so could damage one or both units."

It may be the same for other versions of both units, but I can't say for sure.

Unfortunately, I didn't find this warning until AFTER I had done exactly that... several times. Since then, my Axe-Fx II has had some occasional (but infrequent) hiccups... such as locking up, not booting properly, etc. Again though, these issues are pretty rare, but I'm still facepalming myself for not finding the warning sooner.

Last edited:
Hmm... well I do all my plugging carefully with the unit off, particularly being careful of the old USB/Ethernet mix up. Still, a few times I have had the ethernet come unplugged from the MFC and I just plugged it back in. I guess I won't be doing that any more...

Thanks Webmaestro and GotMetalBoy for the heads up.

i think damage CAN happen. so the official stance is "make all connections with power off."

that's actually the official statement by almost any electronic devices. i've seen it all over manuals for pa systems, speakers, mixers, electronic drums, other guitar processors, etc.

it's just always wise to make connections without any power in case of any power spikes, arcs, bad cables, noise, pops, etc.

So maybe Fractal can comment... has this ACTUALLY caused an issue, ever?

(Acknowledging for CYA purposes that Fractal still recommend plugging/unplugging with the power off...)

In red letters on Page 2 of the MFC-101 Firmware 3.05 Read Me - Firmware Update Guide:
"WARNING! Use the Axe-Fx power switch to cycle MFC-101 power when required, rather than disconnecting the Ethernet/EtherCon cable. As stated in the MFC-101 manual, the Axe-Fx II must be powered OFF whenever you connect or disconnect the MFC-101. Carelessly “pulling the CAT5” to power cycle the MFC-101 can result in “telltale” damage to your Axe-Fx II, the repair of which is not covered under warranty."

This is tuff stuff. My mk3 locks up sometimes and it only get's fixed with a power cycle. In the middle of a gig I front of a few thousand ppl mid sound power cycling the II would obviously make a massive pop and piss off the band and sound guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks guys for posting that info from the manual. Truly never even saw it. I've just been lucky that I've plugged my MFC in when the power was off.

Brokenvail - That would truly suck, in that type of situation. Wonder if there is any way Fractal would want to include the ability to "pause" the ethernet port, in some form or fashion, for the specific type of issue? Have that "pause" gently remove and then restore power to the port, effectively re-booting the MFC? Interesting.

What might be cool is if during powering up and down the outputs where muted almost like if a planet waves circuit breaker were connected so there would be no pops ect

Totally agree with that. I hate when something happens and I accidentally follow the wrong order of shutting down components. Argh.

This is tuff stuff. My mk3 locks up sometimes and it only get's fixed with a power cycle. In the middle of a gig I front of a few thousand ppl mid sound power cycling the II would obviously make a massive pop and piss off the band and sound guy

Same here. All expression pedals lock up on me at almost every show. I unplug the Ethernet cable, wait a couple of seconds, plug it back in and I'm good to go..........Now I'm a little freaked out.

I figured a lot of people didn't know about this issue. I always seem to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully no one has damaged their gear.

I don't want to jinx myself but my MFC-101 Mark I has never frozen up on me. Is the freeze issue just with the MFC-101 Mark III?

Yup seems to be a mk3 problem. Although I never asked if everyone is using gas link like I am. There was a thread about it over on the MFC forum. No one from FAS replied there. I think i know what triggers mine song just trying being carful

Page 8, bottom of the page, MFC-101 Mk III manual:

"!IMPORTANT: Always make sure the Axe-Fx II is powered OFF before connecting/disconnecting the MFC-101. NEVER connect
the provided AC Adapter to the MFC-101 or to the Phantom Power jack of the Axe-Fx II while the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II are
connected via Ethernet/EtherCON. Doing so could damage one or both units."

In red letters on Page 2 of the MFC-101 Firmware 3.05 Read Me - Firmware Update Guide:
"WARNING! Use the Axe-Fx power switch to cycle MFC-101 power when required, rather than disconnecting the Ethernet/EtherCon cable. As stated in the MFC-101 manual, the Axe-Fx II must be powered OFF whenever you connect or disconnect the MFC-101. Carelessly “pulling the CAT5” to power cycle the MFC-101 can result in “telltale” damage to your Axe-Fx II, the repair of which is not covered under warranty."

The way I'm reading these warnings, it seems they are focusing on damage via the Ethernet connection, either by connecting/disconnecting the MFC while power is on, or at the same time the phantom power is connected. I didn't see anything about connecting the MIDI cable (with phantom power) to the MFC while the Axe Fx is off, but power is being fed through the Axe Fx.

What might be cool is if during powering up and down the outputs where muted almost like if a planet waves circuit breaker were connected so there would be no pops ect

Seems as if this feature or an equivalent safeguard would make a great suggestion for future hardware upgrades or even better, if a future AxeFx or MFC-101 firmware upgrade could somehow include a power mute function.

All that would be required is that the power feeding the MFC be switched internally in the Axe Fx. Currently, this is not the case, at least not when using phantom power (ie. Axe Fx Off, power present at the MIDI connector).

How about a simple on/off switch on the MFC ... this way you wouldn't have to shut down 1st your amp, then your Axe, then your MFC if you want to simply connect disconnect or connect the MFC.

Back
Top Bottom