What frfr speakers to buy

I just purchased the axe fx2xl + and am now going to buy a frfr speaker. My question is what speaker sounds the absolute best? I want to take full advantage of the axe so am going with frfr speakers vs power amp setup. I hear atomic and also the qsc k series are great. I'll fork over the xtra cash for great sound. Can anyone recommend these or others? Right now my references are purely what I'm reading and also from you tube. I keep coming back to the k 12s. To me they sound great!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

This is a much discussed topic here. Search for CLR, Matrix, Xitone and you will see a lot of reviews. Also depends on what you are doing. If you don't gig or play out, IMHO stereo powered monitors for your computer are the best solution. They will give you great guitar sound and also improve the clarity of all the music you play. Adams makes great ones.

You could look into Xitones. People who have them on this forum really love them. Mic, the creator, also has a marvelous reputation. I can't give a review because I don't own any, but their awesomeness is pretty universally agreed upon in this forum among people who do own them--universal agreement, a rarity in internet forums. :)

I have a pair of Atomic CLR neos that I've been pleased with, and have been holding up well. Not universally loved though, there are a couple of very vocal threads about that. There also seems to be a long waiting list these days. YMMV. All I can do is relate my experience, which has been positive. I build my presets using the CLRs. Live, I only use one as backline in an elevated position, low volume just for a little stage fill, the rest is direct to FOH.

Yamaha DXR10s are cheaper alternative to CLRs. At band practice or when I'm just messing around at home, sometimes I go into a pair of DXR10s. About the same dispersion as the CLRs, but louder. Not completely flat though. They seem a little more hifi. For PA duty, IMHO these must be used with subs.

2 CLR Neo's for floor wedges. Yes, very vocal discussions here regarding love/hate/reliability. I've had good luck with mine though. YMMV.

2 Event Opals for recording/monitoring. They aren't cheap but very accurate.

Although I've never tried them, I hear the Xitones are quite reliable and sound great.

2 CLR Neo's for floor wedges. Yes, very vocal discussions here regarding love/hate/reliability. I've had good luck with mine though. YMMV.

2 Event Opals for recording/monitoring. They aren't cheap but very accurate.

Although I've never tried them, I hear the Xitones are quite reliable and sound great.
Thank you for the reply. I haven't heard of the xitones until now. I will do my research.

Thank you for the reply. I haven't heard of the xitones until now. I will do my research.
I think you'll find this forum is VERY helpful, good luck with your hunt. I wish Fractal actually made a FRFR wedge - who knows, Cliff may already have it in the works :D

Before you decide, you should get clear with yourself on your requirement. If you want to adjust tones through the monitors then expect it to sound the same when going through a mixing board live or in a recording studio, don't get QSC K10. That was my first purchase. It sounded great on its own, but over-emphasized the bass and so my patches based on that came out anemic and thin going direct out in a recording studio.

I suggest you read some of the many posts about the subject already on the forum...then try a few different ones. Its a lot about personal taste.

So many choices to make!! I am currently in a Metallica tribute band and would use the setup mainly for that. I record at home through a apogee duet into logic x and the axe sounds great. I just wanted a good live setup. I read that frfr speakers were the way to go to get the full use of the axe. I liked the sound of the k 12s on YouTube but seems like a lot of people have issues with these as well. Mainly being too bassy and in general playing through a monitor speaker. I was just reading up on the xitones and they sound more suitable. Thanks for your reply as I'm new to this and would like to hear people's opinion before I jump in and buy something. First step was to buy the axe and now it's speaker cab time.

I suggest you read some of the many posts about the subject already on the forum...then try a few different ones. Its a lot about personal taste.
Yes that's a big one on here. Thanks. Right now I'm enjoying my axe through a set of rokit 5s and it sounds great!

I cannot stress enough how much personal preference will play in this decision. I have only had my Axe for a month and have played it through everything I have: Adam monitor speakers, headphones, tube amp, Bose l1 model 1s and I can honestly say that I like this thing through everything so far..... I know I am in the honeymoon stage but the Axe just simply ROCKS!! Each solution has its own qualities and certain patches sound better out of my Adams and others sound super from the Bose but my point is they all sound great!!

Just recently I decided to try a nice pair of B&W bookshelf speakers I have with a Sony receiver powering them in stereo. I cranked that up and was in sonic bliss.... just sounded awesome!

My point is all the suggestions above are great and as long as you do not go super cheap (some might say my B&W setup is ghetto, but I paid $600 for the speakers and $500 for the receiver when I bought them new) just pull the trigger on something and get used to how they sound because, in a lot of ways, with the Axe it's hard to go wrong.... just sayin'

On that note I am thinking of buying a couple of bargain Alto TS212s to see if I can get them to sound great...... boo yaa!!

What FRR speakers to buy?

Questions you need to ask yourself.

1, What's my budget? this will get you recommendations that fit that budget.
2, What's my application?, Stage self monitoring (fold back), back line stage and FOH carry, Man cave/bedroom?
3, What size do I need?, 10",12", is foot print a concern?, is weight a big deal?, is a traditional two way design good enough or do I want a coaxial design?.
4, Do I really want/need something that is as flat as can be?

Answer the first one and the rest will be fairly easy to check off.

I'm really digging my XiTone Openback 1-12. You might opt for the XiTone wedge for a little more low-end extension. They have a nice smooth response but have enough of that guitar amp low-mid, upper-bass response to "feel" more familiar, for those new to FRFR. They also have a very wide sweet spot that you won't find with a PA cab in close proximity.

Back
Top Bottom