What FRFR? I need portability - moving into a band situation

So for anyone that may have been wondering, I did finally got my Headrush FRFR 112 and played through it today tweaking my patches for live performance using my AX8, in short I was impressed, this speaker has a significant clarity at high volume, I basically had the unit on full volume then dialed in my settings on the AX8 from there starting with a clean crisp guitar tone and having scenes that worked their way through more saturated distortion tones via modifiers on the AX8 Marshall amps, obviously more expensive FRFR units most likely deliver an even better experience I must say in comparison to my two Marshall JCM 800 that each have 1960 cabinets loaded with four EV EVM12L's and the other one loaded with EVM12L Black Label speakers the one single Headrush FRFR 112 speaker really sounded pretty amazing for $300.00, not to mention the weight of the speaker is so much less that those 1960 cab's with EV's in them, It was also remarkably quiet too, if anyone is considering one of these speakers and on the fence I can honestly say this is a great value and don't think your going to sacrifice your tone as was able get as good as my Marshall rig with one 12' speaker unit... I'm going to get a second one for stereo now,View attachment 58459View attachment 58459
Cool. Looking forward to your report after gigging them.

@DaveO I passed on a sale for a pair of those last week and now you have me kicking myself a little. Seems like I read someone saying they preferred the 8's over the 12's due to the 12's being "boomy." I might be getting these mixed up with Yamaha DXR's though. You notice anything might be called "boomy?"

@DaveO I passed on a sale for a pair of those last week and now you have me kicking myself a little. Seems like I read someone saying they preferred the 8's over the 12's due to the 12's being "boomy." I might be getting these mixed up with Yamaha DXR's though. You notice anything might be called "boomy?"
Yes defiantly boomy at first, actually scared me for the first fifteen minutes however I needed to adjust the volumes of the amps (not the tone) well a little but bass and mids really are still a little over flat, like 5.43 and 5.81 respectively, first I set the volume of the speakers to max, then dialed in my typical clean electric guitar tone like I would have on my Marshall's then with the help of modifiers leveraging Input Drive, Input Trim and Master Volume along with Output Main dB levels so clean sound was for the most part matched with distortion scene's, next thing I knew I was very pleased, however that's me, others in forum most likely have a much more discriminating ear and considerably deeper pockets, I took a chance and as long as the unit can last it will be a good investment for me, though as Rex said he is waiting on my live performance update which will happen next month.

Yes defiantly boomy at first, actually scared me for the first fifteen minutes however I needed to adjust the volumes of the amps (not the tone) well a little but bass and mids really are still a little over flat, like 5.43 and 5.81 respectively, first I set the volume of the speakers to max, then dialed in my typical clean electric guitar tone like I would have on my Marshall's then with the help of modifiers leveraging Input Drive, Input Trim and Master Volume along with Output Main dB levels so clean sound was for the most part matched with distortion scene's, next thing I knew I was very pleased, however that's me, others in forum most likely have a much more discriminating ear and considerably deeper pockets, I took a chance and as long as the unit can last it will be a good investment for me, though as Rex said he is waiting on my live performance update which will happen next month.
I’m not sure I follow you. You had to adjust the volume to get the tone right? I prefer to adjust volume to suit the venue and the mix, not to fix the tone.

And yes, I’m definitely looking forward to what you find at the gig. ;)

I’m not sure I follow you. You had to adjust the volume to get the tone right? I prefer to adjust volume to suit the venue and the mix, not to fix the tone.

And yes, I’m definitely looking forward to what you find at the gig. ;)
My patches have been for DI recording via my UA-101 and practicing with headphones, the headrush is my first FRFR so when I tried to use ithose patches for the first time the sound was all wrong so needed to make those adjustments, one other think I didn’t mention is the speaker picks up all of my fingers nuance of movement across the strings when changing cord positions, I’m guessing I need to roll off a bit of the presence but I digress.

My patches have been for DI recording via my UA-101 and practicing with headphones, the headrush is my first FRFR so when I tried to use ithose patches for the first time the sound was all wrong so needed to make those adjustments, one other think I didn’t mention is the speaker picks up all of my fingers nuance of movement across the strings when changing cord positions, I’m guessing I need to roll off a bit of the presence but I digress.
It'll be interesting to see how your retweaked patches translate to FOH.

Back
Top Bottom