What FRFR cabs do you use?

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
So I'm thinking about going the FRFR route, and would love some insight on what you guys use. I've seen people talking about Xitone, Atomic, and Matrix, but have no experience with FRFR cabs. If they're if they're full range and flat response, do they all pretty much sound the same? Do certain brands have any advantages over others?

Let me know what you think.

D'olp, forgot to toss out my suggestion - Audio Kinesis cabs.
Home

I'm likely very biased as Duke (owner/builder/designer) is someone I consider a friend, but his designs blow everything else out of the water that I've heard and used.

CLR's kill. Stoopid volume, very honest sound.

I hear good things about Xitone, but if you're primarily a direct to board guy, 2 CLR wedges pointed (one at your feet, one behind you) work like a champ. The 2nd input for all the other folks who don't matter works great too when you actually want to hear what others are doing...

Okay, funnin' about that last part. Sorta. I am. Yes, no.

R

So I'm thinking about going the FRFR route, and would love some insight on what you guys use. I've seen people talking about Xitone, Atomic, and Matrix, but have no experience with FRFR cabs. If they're if they're full range and flat response, do they all pretty much sound the same? Do certain brands have any advantages over others?

Let me know what you think.

do you know what decibel level you're wanting in general? how loud are your stages usually?

See… I keep hearing about these CLRs.

The band I play for uses IEMs, so high volume isn't crucial. I just need to feel some air moving behind me and be able to get some controlled feedback when the occasion calls. And when I take my "ears" out, I want the cab to sound like my mix in the IEMs.

Plenty of great products out there but you can't go wrong with Xitone or CLR's.

Not to say the CLR's aren't rugged, but the Xitone's are pretty indestructible with a bulletproof cabinet coating. Given the amount of touring you do, that added durability could be nice to have.

See… I keep hearing about these CLRs.

The band I play for uses IEMs, so high volume isn't crucial. I just need to feel some air moving behind me and be able to get some controlled feedback when the occasion calls. And when I take my "ears" out, I want the cab to sound like my mix in the IEMs.

I'm telling go for broke have Mic build you one of those 4x12 cabs he makes. You don't have to move it and that way I can live vicariously through you lol

All joking aside I have a buddy who uses two clr wedges and they just sound amazing. He gets a very big sound and he is plenty loud I have run sound for him before.

I'm telling go for broke have Mic build you one of those 4x12 cabs he makes. You don't have to move it and that way I can live vicariously through you lol

All joking aside I have a buddy who uses two clr wedges and they just sound amazing. He gets a very big sound and he is plenty loud I have run sound for him before.

That 4x12 sounds like an interesting piece. Do you have any idea what the price tag was for that thing?

I'll probably have to go the 2x12 route though, but still kinda want a CLR for home use.

You can check my CLR out next time I'm in town if you want, Justin. Can't say enough good about it.

Plenty of great products out there but you can't go wrong with Xitone or CLR's.

Not to say the CLR's aren't rugged, but the Xitone's are pretty indestructible with a bulletproof cabinet coating. Given the amount of touring you do, that added durability could be nice to have.

The finish of the CLR can chip off pretty easily if you're not careful. Put it in a cover when moving it around. Sound-wise I have nothing but praise to offer, which is really the important aspect here. I can only comment on the Atomic side of things though, but I've read plenty of people being more than happy with their XiTone cabs.

The finish of the CLR can chip off pretty easily if you're not careful. Put it in a cover when moving it around. Sound-wise I have nothing but praise to offer, which is really the important aspect here. I can only comment on the Atomic side of things though, but I've read plenty of people being more than happy with their XiTone cabs.

Exactly... the CLRs sound great but they are way too easy to scuff, scratch, dent.. whatever. No problem for home use but you'll need a cover if you're gigging them, etc. I haven't tried any of the other options mentioned (XiTone, etc.), although I like how responsive the XiTone builder is on the forums, etc. Seems like he's big on customer service, which counts big time for me. I will say that everyone I've demoed the CLRs for here in Austin (which is 4 people so far) ended up buying them for themselves (last I heard).

I use CLR's , Work Great! I always have an open ear for something better , but haven't ran across anything yet ! Haven't tried the AccuGroove or mission though .

For the reasons mention I went with the CLR cabs instead of wedges, propped up on a 4" plumbing tee fitting to tilt them.

See my signature. Relatively inexpensive. Built well. Loud. Good flat response (see specs) and I use them for my bass as well since they are 15's.

2 x CLR cabs here, love them!
Have used them on the floor, on stands, on a flight case and tilted back with AmpStandback's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom