What fresh Windows hell am I in for?

I've been avoiding W10 forever... still on W7 on a boot camped 2013 13" Air. Longest I've ever had a computer. It's not super fast but it works!

That reminds me of XP. Longest I ever ran an OS was XP on my previous desktop. Words cannot describe how much I loved XP. I still find it better then Win 7 in many ways. One of my favorite XP features was the ability to move my whole My Documents directory and contents to a different drive. And it was so damn easy to do. With Win 7 it became a nightmare where you would have to create a new library and delete the old ones. I really missed that feature. And to my joy it was back in Win 10! Always put your My Documents directories on a different drive. It makes it so much easier to do a clean install without having to back anything up. Love XP! Best windows OS of the whole bunch!

I think Windows 10 is honestly fine once you remove all of the live tiles and pre-installed apps from the start menu. The control panel interface is also inconsistent and the notifications can be annoying at default settings but I'm happy with the performance and the features.

I just wish that Microsoft would develop some sort of low latency audio standard that's comparable to OS X's Core Audio. That's my biggest gripe. Sure there's ASIO but I think Microsoft could come up with something better in-house. If I didn't play games or use so many VST plugins I'd just use Linux and that would be the end of it.

I think Windows 10 is honestly fine once you remove all of the live tiles and pre-installed apps from the start menu. The control panel interface is also inconsistent and the notifications can be annoying at default settings but I'm happy with the performance and the features.

I just wish that Microsoft would develop some sort of low latency audio standard that's comparable to OS X's Core Audio. That's my biggest gripe. Sure there's ASIO but I think Microsoft could come up with something better in-house. If I didn't play games or use so many VST plugins I'd just use Linux and that would be the end of it.

Classic Start Menu, which I used to have a Win 7 start menu in Win 8, also works in Win 10. Presto, no more live tiles bullcrap!

If you will have some problems, you can write to thier support and they willn't extract another $190 out of you

I just hate the overall look and feel. The gray-on-gray, no borders, blah. No consistency. The whole thing feels like it was designed by a bunch of stoned, millennial hipsters at a weekend retreat and then outsourced to the lowest bidder in Bangalore. Clunky, cluttered clusterf*ck.

Windows XP was the greatest OS ever. Windows 7 is pretty darn good too because you can make it look like XP.

I just hate the overall look and feel. The gray-on-gray, no borders, blah. No consistency. The whole thing feels like it was designed by a bunch of stoned, millennial hipsters at a weekend retreat and then outsourced to the lowest bidder in Bangalore. Clunky, cluttered clusterf*ck.

Windows XP was the greatest OS ever. Windows 7 is pretty darn good too because you can make it look like XP.
Where did the menu bar go on Windows?!?!? Why would I want a window with no menu bar?!??

I'm fairly certain that there were many people wearing black turtleneck sweaters involved. The inconsistency between the old and new apps is a drag for sure.

If you want a (very) minimal border for windows and to have the title bar actually change color for the active window, turn on "Title bars and window borders" in the color settings thing:

display cpl.png

Where did the menu bar go on Windows?!?!? Why would I want a window with no menu bar?!??
I know, right? Some of the design decisions are baffling. The scroll bars that disappear after a couple seconds are another mystery. In what universe is that a good thing?

I know, right? Some of the design decisions are baffling. The scroll bars that disappear after a couple seconds are another mystery. In what universe is that a good thing?

What do you think of the OS from a performance / support standpoint? Is there anything you like about the OS over previous versions?

What do you think of the OS from a performance / support standpoint? Is there anything you like about the OS over previous versions?
It doesn't seem to perform any better than Windows 7. The usability issues are a major negative for me. So much so I gave the laptop to my wife and bought an NOS 2016 Macbook Pro. I'm not a big fan of Macs either but at least the UI is consistent.

I'm dreading January 2020. Windows 7 support ends and my primary dev box is Windows 7. That means I have to either upgrade to 10 or pay a support fee.

It doesn't seem to perform any better than Windows 7. The usability issues are a major negative for me. So much so I gave the laptop to my wife and bought an NOS 2016 Macbook Pro. I'm not a big fan of Macs either but at least the UI is consistent.

I'm dreading January 2020. Windows 7 support ends and my primary dev box is Windows 7. That means I have to either upgrade to 10 or pay a support fee.

Makes sense. What's preventing you from just using some form of Linux then? I'm assuming you probably have tons of mission critical applications that can only run on Mac or Windows?

Classic Shell eases the Windows 10 UI pain a little bit if anybody hates the new start menu as much as I do.

Bro fist through the internet, brotha! I still can't understand why A: they had to gut the start menu from Win 8. Sort of hide out so people will try out the new thing, I kinda understand. But actually remove so people are forced to install workaround features? WTF? And B: Why still not bring the old Win 7 start menu back? Even after all the shit they got after Win 8? It's obvious people hated the new tiles and wanted the old start menu back. If some dude online can release an utility that can remedy that, why can't Microsoft now that we're 1.5 operating systems further along?

I swear, sometimes I think Disney took their handling of Star Wars from the Microsoft handbook. In case of user backlash pretend to listen and yet refuse to go back and instead insert even more of the crap your users hate. In case of stupid double down!

I've been avoiding W10 forever... still on W7 on a boot camped 2013 13" Air. Longest I've ever had a computer. It's not super fast but it works!
Win7 EOL is Jan 2020.. You'll not get any security patches after that.. which is all they support right now.

Back
Top Bottom