What Fractal gear is Sonny Landreth using?

i worked with Sonny to get his AX8 tweaked out to do it all. not there yet though. he uses several pedals to get his tone, and the pedals he uses just aren't available on the AX8 yet. we got his basic amp tone pretty spot on, even good with one of his pedals, but that last distortion just adds too much character and tonal changes, and we ran out of processor and effects blocks pretty quickly.

next trip down there I'm gonna bring the axe-fx II and make a custom IR for him so we can free up some eq's to help tweak the final distortion stage. i would have brought the axe-fx II down there on the first trip had i known what all he was using to get his tone.

tips for his tone: bassman into V30 loaded 4-12" cabinet. tube driven distortion with eq, compressor, solid state distortion plus eq.

and no i don't have permission to give out his presets just yet. he may want to perfect them a little more first. will keep you posted once he calls back to schedule another day for preset making at his friend's studio in Lafayette, La.

i worked with Sonny to get his AX8 tweaked out to do it all. not there yet though. he uses several pedals to get his tone, and the pedals he uses just aren't available on the AX8 yet. we got his basic amp tone pretty spot on, even good with one of his pedals, but that last distortion just adds too much character and tonal changes, and we ran out of processor and effects blocks pretty quickly.

next trip down there I'm gonna bring the axe-fx II and make a custom IR for him so we can free up some eq's to help tweak the final distortion stage. i would have brought the axe-fx II down there on the first trip had i known what all he was using to get his tone.

tips for his tone: bassman into V30 loaded 4-12" cabinet. tube driven distortion with eq, compressor, solid state distortion plus eq.

and no i don't have permission to give out his presets just yet. he may want to perfect them a little more first. will keep you posted once he calls back to schedule another day for preset making at his friend's studio in Lafayette, La.
Awesome!

Thanks for the inside peek there.. I was curious which type Dumble tone stack Sonny uses
is his amp 6l6 or el34 ?

Be curious to know if he A B's his Dumble next to Cliffs el34 driven ODS.

I have a Dumble built into a bassman platform its a 50 it was built for Jamie Kime
and wound up in Nashville and I bought it a few years back.

I A B'd that 50 up next too a Trainwreck in the axe fx ii
and I was able to get the same sounds on play back and live AB'd on the fly
I was using a Rukus pedal with that amp to kick things off.
Thats not tube but it sure slams things in the #$%^ just right for me using Cliffs ods amp.
I change the tubes and I also run global eq and voice that further too the guitar im using..
To me it sounds as if your eqing the pickups in the guitar too the axe fx I could be mistaken but
thats the result I get and I wanted less mud in my neck pup sound and so I was able to
sculpt things there.

I bet Sonny could AB Cliffs ODS and mess with PT and preamp tubes some
and tone stack and he might find something spot on by ear.

I did and I saved that and then anything I found better on from that
was just bonus prizes.

Between tone stack change preamp and power tube change and
hi lo filter as well I put a specific cap on the amp also its in axe edit
where I goof with that stuff but it seems to give me more of the sound I was after
and I like the Steel String singer tone from Dumbles camp perhaps moreso then ODS
and if playing ODS I prefer the clean side boosted with pedals moreso then boosted lead sound
though straight in on lead side no pedals im pleased with that sound.

I found the ods amps too dark but I just needed to drop the bass down I think
and id have gotten a brighter response id have liked more I feel.

I kinda built up an amp that does not exist yet in the axe using the things mentioned
in preamp and power amp and tone stack and hi lo filters along with global eq.

Its just brighter more steel string sounding too my ear.

Im curious if Sonny's Dumble is a low plate classic or skyline eq or something else ?

How does the axe sound using that Dumble and do you use the D lator for that ?
Ive got an ODSR clone here thats about 98 % part for part to Tags 183 ODS which was also el34.

Its a good one.. I like it better then my 50 which is an Ultra phonic. But I like the clean side of Ultra Phonic perhaps more then the clone we had made.

I think the ultra phonic amps sound best if fender iron is with fender iron and marshall with marshall
I also would use the clean side of 50 for cleans over ODS 100 side or perhaps use both stereo.
But I wound up just duplicating those amps by ear into axe fx and I dont need to lug them about.

I bet your all about there also..
might goof with global eq see if he thinks it voices his guitar better or seems to give him
exactly what he wants.

He might feel it helps or might not. all ears anyway...

Thanks Singtall for the info. Very interesting about the bassman and 4X12 with V30's. Cool! Sounds like he is trying to find an all in one solution for going direct to the PA live? Or was it for recording? He has such a great tone. I would love to hear him playing through a Fractal.

to see him in person playing the way he does 3-4 feet away from you is just crazy. i've been playing forever....and i can't dream of doing what he does.
One of my favorite live shows ever was in the late 90's when Sonny was touring with John Hiatt..

to see him in person playing the way he does 3-4 feet away from you is just crazy. i've been playing forever....and i can't dream of doing what he does.

Same here.. I've stood a 3 to 4 feet in front of him a few times and it's humbling to watch/hear him do his thing. Touch and technique like no other.. good luck to ANYONE trying to do his thing..

@tonyi, You got it Tony. He's been using that Demeter head since the early 90's. I saw him in Bloomington,IL about 5 years ago and he used the Demeter head and a 112 Demeter cab.

When i worked on his rig he was using the Demeter head with a 4-12" cabinet. crazy heavy metal level of compression and distortion. it's a miracle that he can tame that beast. i'll ask Sonny if i can share one of the presets with everyone.

Bump.

I have the head (Demeter TGA-1-180D) arriving tomorrow via brown. Any updates on that preset (or presets)?

Back
Top Bottom