What "extra pedal" are you running with your FM9?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
With more loops than the AX8 and FM3, The FM9 allows me to control FOH volume, stage volume and also use 3rd loop for something fun. Ideas?

My goal with the FM9 is to not need pedals but the one I could see myself using is the forthcoming Boss SY-200. I had the SY-1 and it was great but the lack of presets made it impractical for me. The SY-200 has midi and presets which would make it fit right in with the FM9. An added bonus is it can be battery powered so I wouldn't have to run extra power for it.

My goal with the FM9 is to not need pedals but the one I could see myself using is the forthcoming Boss SY-200. I had the SY-1 and it was great but the lack of presets made it impractical for me. The SY-200 has midi and presets which would make it fit right in with the FM9. An added bonus is it can be battery powered so I wouldn't have to run extra power for it.
I was about to reply with something similar.

I don't want to have anything extra but I might add something like a synth pedal.

This.

Or a Klon 🤓

I'm still on the waitlist for a 9, but I've gone through a bunch of iterations on exterior pedals, and I've landed on running a Microcosm followed by a Mimiq in the loop, and a Freqout before the Axe. I have an Echofix I sometimes mess around with in the loop, but that mostly ends up with my regular amps.

I’d be tempted to put a Klon(e) in the loop. Gain at 2-3, tone at 4.5, volume at unity gain… Fractal’s delays, reverbs, and modulation effects are amazing, so I don’t see the point of running those in the loop unless you’re running out of processor headroom. The only other thing that (in my opinion, anyway) where the Fractal units need external help is fuzz pedals, but I find that they don’t work well in the effects loop. It’d be nice to get an updated set of Muff-type circuits, a Superfuzz, some Bosstone variants, and some different Tonebender iterations in a future update.

I’d be tempted to put a Klon(e) in the loop. Gain at 2-3, tone at 4.5, volume at unity gain… Fractal’s delays, reverbs, and modulation effects are amazing, so I don’t see the point of running those in the loop unless you’re running out of processor headroom. The only other thing that (in my opinion, anyway) where the Fractal units need external help is fuzz pedals, but I find that they don’t work well in the effects loop. It’d be nice to get an updated set of Muff-type circuits, a Superfuzz, some Bosstone variants, and some different Tonebender iterations in a future update.
I too want more fuzz love on what we have and adding more types. We have a lot of models, but there are a ton out there and folks love all kinds of drives. IMO we have a shit ton of amps, so why not have a shit ton of drives/fuzzes? Most guys that use a traditional pedalboard have 1-6+ drives/fuzzes and the such. So an obsessive amount would not be a crazy idea.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it myself, but supposedly the Benson fuzz unit plays nice with buffers (like the loop on the Axe), and still maintains responsiveness to volume knob changes, pick attack, etc through some sort of pickup circuit that it interacts with. I don't know, but if fuzz is your thing, it might work.

I too want more fuzz love on what we have and adding more types. We have a lot of models, but there are a ton out there and folks love all kinds of drives. IMO we have a shot ton of amps, so why not have a shit ton of drives/fuzzes? Most guys that use a traditional pedalboard have 1-6+ drives/fuzzes and the such. So an obsessive amount would not be a crazy idea.
Not to get too off-topic, but one of the things that I love about Fractal is that instead of getting one randomly-selected Plexi, we get a dozen variations, or that instead of getting one or two blackface Fender amps, we get ten. I would love to see that philosophy extended to fuzz pedals.

EHX H.O.G.2 pedal. I don't have an fm9 yet. But the reason why I'm buying one is to split my dry guitar on one amp sim and the hog on another amp sim. Some of my happiest moments occur while messing around with the freeze/gliss setting. Great for improvising.

I was using a FC-6, Digitech Drop and H9 with my FM3 due to the processing limitations. Since I got the FM9, I don't need anything else besides the EV-1. To me, much more transportable.

No Electro Harmonix Synth pedals? Always wanted to try some of those. They sound very convincing!

EV-1, EP-1 and possibly a Digitech Freqout, I haven't decided that yet. I probably will, just in case I can't crank up my cabs as loud as I'd need.

What would you all add for modulation effects? Must be multi pedal that can do spectrum of MOD needs.

Back
Top Bottom