What expression pedals will work with a Gordius little giant

Re: What expression pedals will work with a Gordius little g

From what I know, all of them.

I'm using a cheap plastic one by Zoom that has a single TRS output, and I'm using the Visual Volume pedal that requires an insert cable to work (TRS on one end, other is two 1/4 inch plugs).

Both work fine. I'd just shop for a pedal that has the feel/travel/weight/size you're looking for.

Not 100% true. At least if you're using the Gordius revision 2.

I have a Crybaby shell that I retrofitted with a Mission Engineering kit. It's the same as the standard ME Expression pedal,
2 stereo plugs for the pot & the switch. In the original configuration, this won't work because the switch and pot share the same ground.
The effect of that is that the switch won't work & if you press him anyway you'll end up with weird values on the expression pedal.

In order to get it to work, you'd need to isolate the plug from the wah shell. Since I didn't have any plastic isolation washers around,
I removed one cable from the switch & soldered the ground wire to the ring.
Then you need to solder a cable that has a stereo plug on the ME side and a mono plug on the LG side.
The LG will only accept mono plugs for switches (as of now), while a mono plug on the stereo plug of the ME expression pedal will cause the
ring and ground to connect which would bring you back to shared ground. So you definitely need a customized cable. Or an mono isolated jack input.

Multivir is 100% correct.
However, there is also a much easier solution: simply don't connect a second cable...
You will not lose any functionality without the extra switch cable, since you can program the LG2 to have a "virtual toe switch" on its expression pedals, which triggers a preset or switches an effect on or off. The physical switch beneath the pedal will give you the feel of a real pushbutton, while the LG2 setup gives you exactly the same result as if the second cable was connected and the preset was assigned to the external switch jack instead of to the virtual toe switch.

I have the Mission Engineering EP-1R with a spring load option.

Works like a charm with the LG2! :)

ossandust said:
The physical switch beneath the pedal will give you the feel of a real pushbutton, while the LG2 setup gives you exactly the same result as if the second cable was connected and the preset was assigned to the external switch jack instead of to the virtual toe switch.
I was thinking the same thing and I like that idea: Physical switch for feedback, and for simplicity, software engages the desired function.

Thanks everyone,

I had emailed Mission control and they said they were not sure and were going to get in touch with Gordius and get back to me. I just thought I would post it here because I know there are several Little Giant users here.

I'll probably go with the Mission Control

Do you guys use 1 or 2 expression pedals?
Do you use different ones for volume and wah etc?

Thanks!

I only have one expression pedal on my board, but you can connect up to 4 to the LG2.
Like on a POD X3 live, you can use the switch to trigger volume (or anything) when the wah is off. Haven't tried this myself though.

Since I spent so much time on my cabling, I just gave ossandust's (Xavier) hint a try.
The reason for me to insist on a real toe switch was that I tried my Mission-equipped pedal with the Axe's internal autoengage
(which engages whenever you move the pedal, no matter in which position you start - I absolutely hated it).

The Gordius is really close to a real toe switch. Like mentioned before, you have the physical sensation of a real switch & if you calibrate your pedal properly, it will activate just at the right moment. If you have a Mission pedal, this is the easiest way. However there a really really really slight delay in the wah (or whatever effect you're using) activation. At least that's what I have to tell myself to justify all this time I spent how to get rid of my cabling problems...) ;-)

So unless Xavier releases an update that will let me connect a DIY box with 6 switches (through 3 stereo lines) to expand the number of switches, I'll keep that cable connected since I already have it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

While I'm at it, I want to use this chance to thank Xavier for his prompt support. I realized that it's not only about the product features of the Gordius, but also about the support. I had different problems that interfered with each other, which gave me a hard time to get started. You won't have these if you just follow Xavier's youtube vids. In the last few days, I sent him LOTS of mails & always got my answers within 30 minutes to a few hours. I wouldn't expect that kind of support from HP, Apple, Sony, you name it.

Xavier and I have been in contact regarding this. For expression pedal only, the standard Mission EP-1 or EP1-R should work fine with the Gordius Little Giant. For hardware toe switch support we are going to make some changes. The type of switch and the way it is wired needs to be a little different from our standard SP-1 for best performance with the Little Giant. I expect to have a Gordius specific version of the SP-1 available very soon. It will feature an expression pedal out and a hardware switch out that can be connected direct to the Little Giant. The user can choose either to cable the switch out for true hardware switch functionality, or just use a single pedal out cable and use the Gordius virtual toe switch function. I'm expecting to have something available within a week or so. James. (Mission).

The auto engage works like a charm guys.

Buttons, who needs them? :)

multivir said:
So unless Xavier releases an update that will let me connect a DIY box with 6 switches (through 3 stereo lines) to expand the number of switches
I will!... The reason why it will take some time before this is available, is because it will be part of a larger update. The future firmware will support up to 64 simultaneous switches per bank (internal + external through jacks + slave controllers). The "D1" and "D2" buttons will allow to organize these buttons in 4 sub-banks, resulting in 256 switches per bank. That should be sufficient for most applications, no? ;-)
lebihanj said:
I'm expecting to have something available within a week or so. James. (Mission).
I think that will make a perfect partner for the LG. Good news James!

The Mission SP1-LG is now available at www.mission-engineering.com. The circuit is changed a little to support the requirements of the Little Giant interface. The SP1-LG can be used with two cables like a regular SP-1 for true hardware switch behavior, or with just a single cable and the Little Giant virtual toe switch function. Many thanks to Xavier at Gordius for working with me on this. James.

lebihanj said:
The Mission SP1-LG is now available at http://www.mission-engineering.com. The circuit is changed a little to support the requirements of the Little Giant interface. The SP1-LG can be used with two cables like a regular SP-1 for true hardware switch behavior, or with just a single cable and the Little Giant virtual toe switch function. Many thanks to Xavier at Gordius for working with me on this. James.

That's great news. Buying something built in Europe seems like less of a risk the way you guys are able to respond to market demands. Now it is just saving the $$$$..

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom