What expression pedal do you use?

deakle

Experienced
Hi Everyone! I am in the market for an expression pedal. My budget is limited. I don't have to worry about road durability as my Axe FX II never leaves my home studio. I know the Mission pedals are the best, but I was also wondering about the Boss FV500 pedals? Also, can the FV50's be used as an expression pedal? And what about the M-Audio EX-P, has anyone used it? Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Hi Everyone! I am in the market for an expression pedal. My budget is limited. I don't have to worry about road durability as my Axe FX II never leaves my home studio. I know the Mission pedals are the best, but I was also wondering about the Boss FV500 pedals? Also, can the FV50's be used as an expression pedal? And what about the M-Audio EX-P, has anyone used it? Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

I like the FV500 pedals the best. Large, smooth and built like a brick shit house. Did not like mission pedals as they loosen up over time too much.

Bosses loosen up more and are heavier. I use mission sp1 and spring loaded ep1.

16 months with 3 mission pedals. 2 to 6 hours a day, daily usage and no loosening up what so ever. No calibration issues, no dead spots, and they still look as new as the day I bought them as they don't wear.

I'm highly and positively impressed with the Mission pedals as well. Although, Fractal is supposed to come out with some units that look like they will be superior. If you need something immediately, I can't imagine going wrong with either the Mission or Boss units, as resale will be good on them if it appears the Fractal parts truly are superior. But, the feel is the thing. I don't have a Boss pedal, but they look like they have more throw to them. Some guys appreciate that because short throw pedals require more precise control. Myself, I think it's whatever you get used to. If it's a beefy, quality part, you can make it work for you.

Bosses loosen up more and are heavier. I use mission sp1 and spring loaded ep1.
I found the exact opposite. I used to run 3 missions including a spring loaded one and switched to 3 fv 500. before down sizing rigs. The missions def loosened up more and then I hard of people wearing out the little screw to tighten the tension. That coupled with the fact that I am not a huge fan of the mission sweep made the switch a no brainer for me. No I have two rigs one with a Mission sp1 lf and one with Fv500. For my smaller set up the mission makes more sense due to size but I prefer the fv 500 in all the categorizes that mater to me

4a5u8u8a.jpg
BOSS FV550H x4 ....

I'm using two modified Ernie Ball VP JR volume pedals. The mechanism that turns the potentiometer remains the same but the 16mm Alpha 250Kohm audio taper pots have been replaced with 24mm sealed Honeywell 10Kohm pots. There's a thread here about this mod. The VP JR is very smooth in operation and is held at a constant tension so it never moves on its own. The size of this pedal, for me, is just about right.

ETA: Here's the thread describing the VP JR expression pedal mod:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-routing/79648-ultimate-ernie-ball-expression-pedal-mod.html

I'm using two modified Ernie Ball VP JR volume pedals. The mechanism that turns the potentiometer remains the same but the 16mm Alpha 250Kohm audio taper pots have been replaced with 24mm sealed Honeywell 10Kohm pots. There's a thread here about this mod. The VP JR is very smooth in operation and is held at a constant tension so it never moves on its own. The size of this pedal, for me, is just about right.

ETA: Here's the thread describing the VP JR expression pedal mod:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/rigs-routing/79648-ultimate-ernie-ball-expression-pedal-mod.html

Did the same on my Ernie Ball and I couldn't be happier. Perfect pedal in terms of durability, size and feel

Back
Top Bottom