What effects you using in your DAW when recording with Axe FX?

Just curious what the "pros" are doing when they lay an Axe FX track down in your DAW. Here is my setup:
Guitar > Axe FX >Logic Pro. Recording direct via USB, using the Axe as my audio interface in Logic. When I record a track into Logic Pro, it sounds good but never as good as hearing what's coming out of the Axe through my monitors. Just wondering what effects you might be adding, such as compression, EQ tricks, etc.

Cheers

whatever post processing goes on the guitar bus is generally gonna be to get them to gel with a drum and bass track, but for the most part ill leave what comes out of the axe alone. the most ill do is throw some delay/reverb on after the fact, there's also a plugin i have that simulates analog warmth on the master bus if you wanna count that.

Pultec or EMI Abbey Road EQ (Waves), Eventide H3000 Factory, PSPAudioware PSP85, PSP Vintage Warmer, Various from Waves.

Channel Strip:
State Virtual Tape -> McDsp High Pass / Low Pass Filter -> UAD 1176 RevE Comp/Limiter -> (Wave API EQ, or UAD Neve 1081 EQ, or Waves H-EQ) -> Waves H-EQ (final mix sweetening.)

Sends:
UAD Plate Reverb, Waves H-Delay

Master Buss:
Slate Virtual Tape -> Slate FG/X -> Waves H-EQ

on the guitar channel strip, nothing

the guitar aux, Logic EQ [for corrective EQ], Kramer HLS [for sweetening EQ] and a waves L1 limiter [set gentle just to control peaks],
delay: Waves H-Delay
reverb: Logic Space Designer

Low cut below 50Hz ish.
BBE Sonic Maximiser just adds that sparkle that you need for recorded guitars in a mix. Well worth the $80 I paid at the time around 5 years ago. Also great on the drums and master bus.
Another trick I learned recently - parallel compression for guitars. Send to an aux bus, insert a compressor (I use Logic's own comp). Slow attack and release, increase the ratio until you get a nice 'squashy' sound on the attack. Dial in a little under your mix \m/

Another trick I learned recently - parallel compression for guitars. Send to an aux bus, insert a compressor (I use Logic's own comp). Slow attack and release, increase the ratio until you get a nice 'squashy' sound on the attack. Dial in a little under your mix \m/

Interesting. Will give it a try

Channel Strip:
State Virtual Tape -> McDsp High Pass / Low Pass Filter -> UAD 1176 RevE Comp/Limiter -> (Wave API EQ, or UAD Neve 1081 EQ, or Waves H-EQ) -> Waves H-EQ (final mix sweetening.)

Sends:
UAD Plate Reverb, Waves H-Delay

Master Buss:
Slate Virtual Tape -> Slate FG/X -> Waves H-EQ

Bar - so will you run the AXFX without reverb and delay? You just prefer those in your DAW? Or is it that with this those time based effects are more coordinated among multiple tracks? Just curious - thanks.

Only thing I do 100% of the time is UAD Studer 800 on the guitar buss. Just makes them "sit" and gel, and gives them a "finished" sound. You could probably make any tape emulation work, I just use it cuz it's what I have. I guess I probably high pass everytime too. Everything else I do is situational.

Bar - so will you run the AXFX without reverb and delay? You just prefer those in your DAW? Or is it that with this those time based effects are more coordinated among multiple tracks? Just curious - thanks.
I cannot answer for Bar, but personally, I am very hesitant to commit any wet effects to (digital) tape during the recording phase. The amount of chorus, reverb, and delays needed in the mix is very difficult to guess during recording. As a minimum, I would always record a dry track along with the track with FX on. Also, automation can be cool on reverbs and delays, and then it needs to be put in during post processing (or on a different track).

(With the AxeFX, I would probably always make sure that I had the option to reamp the tone completely at a later stage.

I will run reverb with Fractal.

I use delay sparingly in the Fractal. For example, I would use the Multidelay or other delay if it's not tempo related.

A common reverb in the DAW helps me glue the tracks together and create depth. It works even if the Fractal is tracked with reverb too.

My DAW delay is almost always in sync with the session tempo. Usually quarter note triplet.

Just curious what the "pros" are doing when they lay an Axe FX track down in your DAW. Here is my setup:
Guitar > Axe FX >Logic Pro. Recording direct via USB, using the Axe as my audio interface in Logic. When I record a track into Logic Pro, it sounds good but never as good as hearing what's coming out of the Axe through my monitors. Just wondering what effects you might be adding, such as compression, EQ tricks, etc.

Cheers

I'm no expect but I have made progress on my guitar tones regardless of Axe or Kemper or VST with the following post chain: Slate VCC, Sneap multi-band compression trick, Hi pass/low pass EQ, strategic cut EQ, Slate VTM

on the guitar channel strip, nothing

the guitar aux, Logic EQ [for corrective EQ], Kramer HLS [for sweetening EQ] and a waves L1 limiter [set gentle just to control peaks],
delay: Waves H-Delay
reverb: Logic Space Designer

I agree! Nothing!

Why commit to effects which once are tracked cannot be undone? I always record dry and let the mixing engineer add whatever is necessary. If the track has effects on there from the recording, you are stuck with them.

I agree! Nothing!

Why commit to effects which once are tracked cannot be undone? I always record dry and let the mixing engineer add whatever is necessary. If the track has effects on there from the recording, you are stuck with them.
ahh.. that's not quite what I meant.. although I absolutely agree with you..

I record the guitar dry via the Axe and monitor the backing track and Axe via my mixer
then I reamp the dry guitar part in mono

in Logic, the channel strip with the reamp'd guitar part contains nothing but a 'gain' insert..
this is purely for automation [to clean up any noise before and after the guitar part]
this is then routed to an aux.. and it's here that the extras will be added [a little limiting / eq / sweetening / sends to reverb / delay axes etc]

nothing on the guitar track. I try to get the guitar ready just from the Axe (genarally i record a bright guitar track and a dark guitar track and use the mix of the two for eq and overall guitar sound). Just a little limiting for peack control. Sometime some waves 550 eq if I have issues with the eq.
Then on the stereo bus master everything for glueing the tracks and all the classic stuff

Back
Top Bottom