What does the power amp modeling setting does? + Clipping

Imzadi

Hey guys,

I upgraded to Quantum (in a Mark II) and now a lot of the patches are clipping. While I was trying to figure why I noticed that the power amp modeling setting was off for some reason. Seems like that fixes it, but the patches now sound more compressed even if I turned the Instrument input to the minimum. I'm not sure what's going on.

What do you think?

I'm still curious. I'm working with the amp modeling setting on, but not sure what is does yet.

Anybody?

Have you read the manual section about the amp block? It simulates the power section of a guitar amp. This typically adds compression and drive with enough input level. Try lowering the "master volume" parameter if you want less of these aspects. Or reduce the other (preamp) gain amounts now that you have some power amp drive.

You'll probably also want to set the instrument input level as recommended in the manual, not minimum.

It does exactly what it says - it turns on (or off) power amp modeling. That is simulating the effect of the power amp.section of the tube amp model you are using.

What is your signal chain? How are you amplifying your Axe Fx?

If you are using powered monitors or a solid state power amp, you would definitely want it ON.

Thanks Bakerman!
I'm referring to the "amp modeling setting" master setting in the Global settings, not the blocks. Or is it the same function, but a master switch to control them all?

It does exactly what it says - it turns on (or off) power amp modeling. That is simulating the effect of the power amp.section of the tube amp model you are using.

What is your signal chain? How are you amplifying your Axe Fx?

If you are using powered monitors or a solid state power amp, you would definitely want it ON.
That's what I guessed, but if a turn the amp off I still hear a difference compared with the master "amp modeling setting" off. In other words, the amp modeling setting doesnt completly turn off the amps, correct?
Sorry, a bit confused with this. ;)

FYI Everything direct to my speakers/DAW

That's what I guessed, but if a turn the amp off I still hear a difference compared with the master "amp modeling setting" off. In other words, the amp modeling setting doesnt completly turn off the amps, correct?
Sorry, a bit confused with this. ;)

FYI Everything direct to my speakers/DAW

You are not understanding it. This setting controls whether or not the power amp of the amp block is modeled or not. If you have no amp block or your amp block disabled this setting has no effect.

Since you are going straight to DAW you definitely want it ON.

Ok, I think I got it. So the global "amp modeling setting" just affects the power amp setting *in the amp block*, not whether the amp block is enabled or not.
Out of curiosity: When would you want the amp modeling setting off *and* the amp block enabled? Wouldn't you want the modeling always on if you are using the power amp block? Or are there cases where people use a real amp and keep the amp block on?

Ok, I think I got it. So the global "amp modeling setting" just affects the power amp setting *in the amp block*, not whether the amp block is enabled or not.
Out of curiosity: When would you want the amp modeling setting off *and* the amp block enabled? Wouldn't you want the modeling always on if you are using the power amp block? Or are there cases where people use a real amp and keep the amp block on?

Yes, the global setting only turns off the power amp portion of the amp block. You can also do this in individual presets by turning Sag to zero.
You might do this if you just want the pre amp sound of the model, especially if you are running though a power amp & real cabs & not using FRFR. A good example is using a Mesa 2:90 power amp with the Axe instead of using it with a Triaxis pre.

Yes, the global setting only turns off the power amp portion of the amp block. You can also do this in individual presets by turning Sag to zero.
You might do this if you just want the pre amp sound of the model, especially if you are running though a power amp & real cabs & not using FRFR. A good example is using a Mesa 2:90 power amp with the Axe instead of using it with a Triaxis pre.

When people play live, using a valve power amp and real cab rather than FRFR. You want the Pre amp part of the amp block active, but not the power amp part as you have a real power amp.

Not to hijack but what do most of you do when running power amp and guitar cab while using FX loop for FOH? A few years back it was suggested to me

When people play live, using a valve power amp and real cab rather than FRFR. You want the Pre amp part of the amp block active, but not the power amp part as you have a real power amp.

Which is what I said. It is also not a hard & fast rule. When I first got the Axe, I used it as a pre replacement for the Triaxis with the 2:90 power amp. Because the 2:90 is so beefy & loud, there is no way to get any power amp distortion out of it, at least not a volume levels I want play at so I did leave power amp modeling on as a lot of the character of the amp sims is in there. That's the beauty of the Axe. It is very flexible & you can use it the way it works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom