What does parallel drives mean?

bluesk165

Inspired
I set up 2 drives with parallel in 4CM, and I like its powerful sound.

But I feel hard to set the parameter specially "Drive" and " Level".

Pls explain signal flow of parallel drives.

Thanks.

Glad to see you are experimenting with the many options in the FX8! A good explanation of parallel vs series signal flow can be found on page 32 in the manual "Configure Series & Parallel". When it comes to drives, running them parallel is more of a blending of the drives rather than stacking them. Running them parallel, you are splitting the signal then combining two separate driven signals into one. With series, you are running the signal from one drive into the next drive, driving an already driven signal. The tonal difference is similar to using multiple amps (Parallel) vs adding gain stages (Series).

As far as setting the "Drive" and "Level" parameters, it's difficult to answer without knowing what the actual problem is and what you are trying to accomplish with these parameters. Are they too loud, too soft, not enough gain....:? Are you unable to balance the volume between the two?

Glad to see you are experimenting with the many options in the FX8! A good explanation of parallel vs series signal flow can be found on page 32 in the manual "Configure Series & Parallel". When it comes to drives, running them parallel is more of a blending of the drives rather than stacking them. Running them parallel, you are splitting the signal then combining two separate driven signals into one. With series, you are running the signal from one drive into the next drive, driving an already driven signal. The tonal difference is similar to using multiple amps (Parallel) vs adding gain stages (Series).

As far as setting the "Drive" and "Level" parameters, it's difficult to answer without knowing what the actual problem is and what you are trying to accomplish with these parameters. Are they too loud, too soft, not enough gain....:? Are you unable to balance the volume between the two?

Thanks so much detail answer.

There is no problem with parallel drives except confusing with "Drive and Level" parameters doesn't work like single drive.

Drives looks like series on FS even connect parallel on CFG.

Is there any different point between set up slot 1 : Drive 1, slot 2: drive 2 and slot 1: Drive 2, slot 2 : drive 1?

Hope, above is clear.

Thanks.

The CFG page is how the effects are routed. The FS page just displays the function of each footswitch you have assigned it to do. It isn't a display of how you have the effects routed.
There is no problem with parallel drives except confusing with "Drive and Level" parameters doesn't work like single drive.
Can you explain how they are not working? What are they doing that is causing a problem?
Is there any different point between set up slot 1 : Drive 1, slot 2: drive 2 and slot 1: Drive 2, slot 2 : drive 1?
It doesn't matter where you put them.

Last edited:
Pls explain signal flow of parallel drives.
There are 2 drive pedals affecting your tone at the same time. You usually want to reduce the Drive and Level of both at the same time.

It's like eating vanilla and chocolate ice cream at the same time - you can't tell what is what.

The CFG page is how the effects are routed. The FS page just displays the function of each footswitch you have assigned it to do. It isn't a display of how you have the effects routed.

Can you explain how they are not working? What are they doing that is causing a problem?

It doesn't matter where you put them.

No, there is no problem. Just I have to know reducing the parameter at the same time.

Thanks a lot.

There are 2 drive pedals affecting your tone at the same time. You usually want to reduce the Drive and Level of both at the same time.

It's like eating vanilla and chocolate ice cream at the same time - you can't tell what is what.

Thanks so much for this answer, and also thanks to your patience for my broken English.

Anyway, I have found parallel chain with 2 drives has powerful sound.

Thanks a lot anytime.

Back
Top Bottom