What does an RJM Mastermind offer over the FC pedals...

mikeyg

Experienced
To justify such high prices?

They seem to need a fair amount of setup and programming to work with an Axe 3.

The only ‘advantage’ I see is the additional use of color.

What am I missing?

Everything. It works with any midi device, not just the axe. Way too many features to list. It can do anything I can dream up.

To justify such high prices?

They seem to need a fair amount of setup and programming to work with an Axe 3.

The only ‘advantage’ I see is the additional use of color.

What am I missing?
Essentially, what you may be missing is that they are totally different devices that happen to intersect at the Axe FX.

The RJM Mastermind is a midi controller that can work with any midi controlled device, or control many of them independently at once. It will work with all Axe FX versions. To make best use of it's capabilities, it has the largest screens, per switch, and main screen that I have seen on a midi foot-controller. These screens have control of color, font boldness, contrast, and more than one function per screen. There are 16 pages of these screens. Any switch can control anything, as it can be an on/off, either/or, or control a multitude of functions at once. The fact is that the MMGT is the premier midi-footcontroller in the industry, and to get more you would have to have one custom built at multiples of the cost.

The FC series controllers are task-specific to the Axe FX III. They don't control anything else without the Axe FX III. They are powerfully tailor-made for the Axe FX III and are, quite simply, the easiest plug and play option you will find, period. A great unit, no question, but inexorably tied to the Axe FX III, and it alone (they will not the control previous Axe FX versions).

The analogy I think makes most sense is a standalone computer versus a workstation. A standalone (MMGT) can do everything inside the box, so it can be tied to anything that understands its format. A workstation (FC) is a remote control that derives all of its power and functionality from the server (Axe FX), and can only perform its intended function when connected to it. This is why a standalone computer costs much more, and the same applies to these two very competent foot controllers. They are as different as they are similar, and the differences justify the cost if you need them.

Last edited:
RJM makes a great product. Part of the price is the cost. Those displays are expensive. It also needs to include a processor, whereas the FC is just a
"terminal" for the Axe-Fx III or FM3. Also, in being designed as a controller that is not purpose-built for the Axe-Fx, the MM's price will need to include a component of R&D. Making it work with all of those other products takes time.

In terms of capabilities, I can't think of anything on the Axe-Fx that can't be done with the FC-12 that you could do via MIDI. In comparison, the FC has the advantages noted in this forum. The most frequently cited would probably be its ease of use, but it has incredible flexibility too.

Remember that the Axe-Fx III is itself a MIDI controller, so with the FC, it can be integrated into a broader MIDI rig that is not "inexorably" self contained.

I use my FC12 to control my Axe-FX III and two additional devices via the MIDI block on the Axe-FX. So much easier to configure, and unless you need a lot of additional control over other devices it does fine.

If I was more confident in easily being able to program a GT, I'd probably go that way. It doesnt make a lot of sense to buy a pedal that you know will be obsolete in 7 years (I know, I know, I'll buy an Axe 4 when it comes out, regardless, unless someone slips in and tops them... unlikely...)

If I was more confident in easily being able to program a GT, I'd probably go that way. It doesnt make a lot of sense to buy a pedal that you know will be obsolete in 7 years (I know, I know, I'll buy an Axe 4 when it comes out, regardless, unless someone slips in and tops them... unlikely...)
The good thing is that there really isn’t a bad choice here, if the Axe Fx III is what you’re controlling, you won’t be disappointed with either one!

I agree with Rick, there isn't really a bad choice here. I've had a MMGT22 for the last few years and it's a fantastic controller. I used to use it with an RJM Mini amp gizmo and my Boogie amps. Now that I'm going direct with the Axe III I've realised I don't need it and have been using the FC12 now for the last 6 months and can't be happier.

And about the cost, If you want the same number of buttons to press on a fractal FC as on the GT you need to buy 2 fc12 items. That levels the playing field nicely.I think in Europe the GT would be cheaper than 2 fc 12 units, but either way, the diff is small. The FC units aren't really conveniently placeable above each other and you need to get the second unit powered too. So you need to get power to your pedalboard. That is no biggie, but less convenient.
With the RJM you will get (IMHO) a more convenient pedalboard which,... is basicly what I had with the MFC. Also: RMJ has a very good resell value and you get to keep your pedalboard intact when you go for an AXE FX 4 later on and they decide to make you have to buy a different controller (again) In the middle ages of midi programming a midi pedalboard was quite a task. (I had several) With the editors, helpdesk, presets and social communities of today I'm guessing it will be a breeze. Beside that: I do not get why it is seen a such a major difference. Either you programme on the AXE what happens when you push a button, or you programme it on the midi controller. I think that the difference is small and blown out of proportions for promotional purposes, because either way, you still have to do it.

Kind regards, Harm

One big advantage is that you can have one foot switch tied to the bypass parameter of multiple FX at once. It also allows you to change channels on more than one block at once, the FC12 wont do this!

One big advantage is that you can have one foot switch tied to the bypass parameter of multiple FX at once. It also allows you to change channels on more than one block at once, the FC12 wont do this!
Umm... that is basically what scenes do.

Umm... that is basically what scenes do.
Scenes are only effective for this if you only need 8 sounds. I use more than 32 different delay settings. I use scenes to select subdivisions and channels to select delay type. This would require less foot switch real estate if I could have just one switch that changed all the delay channels at once.

My friend, I was impressed by your experience. I am very satisfied with MMGT-22, I developed my layout gradually according to the level of knowledge and cognition. Ron and the other experienced members of the RJM Support Forum are always a great inspiration. It would be a great pleasure if you published (or sent via PM) to study your RJM layout file on this issue. I have tried several simultaneous bypasses and channels, but without a definitive satisfactory solution. I will be grateful for your willingness.

My friend, I was impressed by your experience. I am very satisfied with MMGT-22, I developed my layout gradually according to the level of knowledge and cognition. Ron and the other experienced members of the RJM Support Forum are always a great inspiration. It would be a great pleasure if you published (or sent via PM) to study your RJM layout file on this issue. I have tried several simultaneous bypasses and channels, but without a definitive satisfactory solution. I will be grateful for your willingness.
I am actually not using an RJM, I’m using an FC12 with additional external switches. I extensively studied the manual of the RJM and decided that the FC12 was a better fit for my situation. The advantages of the FC12 outwayed the advantages of the RJM.

I am actually not using an RJM, I’m using an FC12 with additional external switches. I extensively studied the manual of the RJM and decided that the FC12 was a better fit for my situation. The advantages of the FC12 outwayed the advantages of the RJM.
OK, thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom